The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 2018, 07:14 PM   #1
308Loader

X300BLKX bullet used

So, a friend at work was showing me his Winchester super x ammo he picked up. It is a 200gr hollow point flat base bullet with crimp groove (can-l-u-r. I cant spell apparently) loaded subsonic for the 300 blackout. it would seem that my google-fu is not strong on this one. any one know who makes the bullet for this? is it available for reloaders? the nose is crimped like a XTP bullet, will post pic if I can. it is 1.178 in length and .308 in dia. looks like it may have some good potential in subsonic loads 300bo or 308 win. I will keep google-ing, Winchester site didn't seem to be any help.

thanks all

(edit) any one know the powder its loaded with? when I pulled the bullet the powder didn't look like anything I have seen. super fine granules, dust like. makes tight group look like boulders.
Old November 5, 2018, 09:46 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

The bullet is a bespoke Power Point. You can't get it elsewhere.

The powder is of no real concern. Winchester (Olin) loads with bulk propellants. It won't be the same as any canister powder available to reloaders.
Old November 6, 2018, 06:17 PM   #3
308Loader

Bespoke is an adjective for anything commissioned to a particular specification. "Custom-made", "made to order".

hu, learned a new word. thanks, I was actually dumb enough to look for the manufacturer "bespoke" ignoring the wiki right in front of me. well that kind of sucks, I really like the bullet design. still looking for something similar.
Old November 6, 2018, 06:53 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

There's always the Lehigh Defense 194 gr Maximum Expansion bullet. (Pricey!)
Or, if Hornady ever gets around to releasing it as a component, the 190 gr Sub-X that they're stuffing in their new .300 Blk Subsonic load.

Some other options:
Rainier 180 gr Wedge (Plated)
Discrete Ballistics / Selous 188 gr bullets (Pricey!)

Quote:
Bespoke is an adjective for anything commissioned to a particular specification. "Custom-made", "made to order".
I spent a substantial portion of my life in ignorance, so to speak, before I was introduced to that word in such a way that I had to look it up. Don't feel bad about it.
Few of us have regular vocabulary tests these days.
Old November 6, 2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Mobuck

"if Hornady ever gets around to releasing it as a component, the 190 gr Sub-X that they're stuffing in their new .300 Blk Subsonic load."

Expansion @ 100 yards isn't all that impressive BUT it does expand a little and tracks straight in my limited testing. Probably be a winner for busting hogs.