The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 10, 2019, 07:25 PM   #1
Snowdog

Value of a German K98 (1940)

I'm posting this here as I'm encountering conflicting info on this particular rifle.

A buddy of mine is selling a K98 that was manufactured in 1940. It is a "Mitchell's Mauser", though this appears to be a K98 and not a Zastava M48/M48A (no Yugoslavian crest, has a turned down bolt handle rather than bent, manufactured prior to 1948, etc) .

I haven't kept up with the value of anything from Mitchell's in years (decades?) but I remember seeing magazine ads with some beautiful K98s offered by Mitchell's with a price tag to match. At the time, it seemed to be the cat's meow.

Now I'm reading that many collectors will turn their nose up when encountering a K98 from Mitchell's for sale. Some even going so far to say even the "collector's grade" K98s from Mitchell's is only good as a "shooter".

So what's the consensus on K98's from Mitchell's?
Specifically, what's the value of a K98 in near mint condition?

I know these have been reconditioned and are not truly mint in the original sense, but certainly they must be worth more than a beat up K98 in fair/poor condition, right?

If its value is well north of $300 or so, I plan to assist him in placing it on Gunbroker.
If it's around the $300 or so, I may just make him an offer for it to add to my collection and skip the hassle of an auction.

Brevity Is The Soul of Wit.

-Shakespeare-
Old September 10, 2019, 08:42 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I know these have been reconditioned and are not truly mint in the original sense, but certainly they must be worth more than a beat up K98 in fair/poor condition, right?
That depends on what the buyer is paying for. If he's paying for a good condition (reconditioned) example of a historical type, that's one thing. If he's paying for the history, that's another.

That battered rusty thing with its history intact can be worth more than a factory refinished one to the right collector. Some collectors pay for the wear and tear, if its the original finish.

Mitchell's had a reputation (I can't say if it was deserved or not) for not only being way overpriced, but also for doing "force matches". The guns looked great, but had about zilch collector value.

Sorry I can't help with current market prices, I just haven't been keeping up on them.
Old September 11, 2019, 06:38 AM   #3
martin08

True historical collectors turn their noses, but the buying public seems to have a taste for them.

If it is a true K98, and it is in excellent condition, it will bring much more than $300 on Gunbroker. $5-800 is not out of the question, and if you have the box and papers, maybe a little more.

There are around 10 recent sales on Gunbroker which will confirm the value range.
Old September 11, 2019, 09:29 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

Going by local gunshow prices, $500 should be minimum (as a decent looking shooter). $300 barely buys you a Turk or Yugo in good shape anymore.
Old September 11, 2019, 01:36 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...It is a "Mitchell's Mauser"..." It has no collector value as it's not a 'real' 1940 K98. The receiver may have been made in 1940, but the rest of it was not.
"...a beat up K98 in fair/poor condition, right?..." Nope. It was cobbled together by Mitchell and refinished to be a shooter. A real 1940 vintage K98 is worth a whole bunch more. Even in "fair/poor condition". There was one on Legacy Collectibles, last fall, that sold for $1,650.00. Mitchell's, when they had any, sold 'em for $400 to $700.
"..."collector's grade" K98s from Mitchell's..." There's no such thing. Refinished is refinished.