The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 23, 2019, 08:40 PM   #1
PhotonGuy

Gotta Love The Nighthawk

Nighthawk semi automatics are awesome, you just got to love them, I can tell you from my own experience. I've only got one, its all I can afford, but its well worth it. I've got a Nighthawk Predator in 10mm and the way it shoots, I can get really accurate body shots on the targets and I can even get a head shot from 15 yards away with a 10mm. Nighthawks are very expensive but as I said, its well worth it even with its high price. Nighthawks sure cost a pretty penny but I can tell you from my experience you get what you pay for and more.
Old July 23, 2019, 09:50 PM   #2
Fishbed77

Quote:
I can get really accurate body shots on the targets and I can even get a head shot from 15 yards away with a 10mm.
Um... OK.
Old July 24, 2019, 10:27 AM   #3
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotonGuy View Post
Nighthawk semi automatics are awesome, you just got to love them, I can tell you from my own experience. I've only got one, its all I can afford, but its well worth it. I've got a Nighthawk Predator in 10mm and the way it shoots, I can get really accurate body shots on the targets and I can even get a head shot from 15 yards away with a 10mm. Nighthawks are very expensive but as I said, its well worth it even with its high price. Nighthawks sure cost a pretty penny but I can tell you from my experience you get what you pay for and more.
You can do that with a Glock 20 for probably less than 25% of the money.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old July 24, 2019, 12:24 PM   #4
PhotonGuy

Quote:
You can do that with a Glock 20 for probably less than 25% of the money.
I do better with my Nighthawk than I do with my Glock 21 and a 45 ACP round has about the same recoil as a 10mm round.
Old July 24, 2019, 01:16 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
Nighthawks are very expensive but as I said, its well worth it even with its high price. Nighthawks sure cost a pretty penny but I can tell you from my experience you get what you pay for and more.
But would you say it's worth it, given the high price?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old July 24, 2019, 01:39 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I can even get a head shot from 15 yards away with a 10mm.
I can do that regularly with my Colt 9991a1 Compact without all the lipstick.
Nighthawk sounds like a ridiculously expensive fluff and buff on a 108 year old design.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 24, 2019, 01:55 PM   #7
PhotonGuy

Quote:
But would you say it's worth it, given the high price?
In my opinion yes.
Old July 24, 2019, 04:45 PM   #8
Fishbed77

The Nighthawk pistols are no doubt cool pieces with a good reputation. If you want and can afford one, by all means go for it. I definitely own some firearms that I bought because I find them cool to me.

No offense, though - the performance you are bragging about can be achieved by a $120 Hi-Point. Or an EAA Witness 10mm or Glock 20 (the least expensive 10mm pistols I can think of) if 10mm is a must.

I totally get wanting to show off or discuss your nice acquisition, but perhaps that would be done better by showing us what makes the Nighthawk Predator so great. Maybe nice photos of the awesome machining, features, or workmanship (like bac1023 does with the awesome collection he has). Show or explain to us what makes it unique and cool - more "meat" than a post bragging about how your Nighthawk can do what pretty every other semi-automatic ever made can do.
Old July 25, 2019, 07:53 AM   #9
Rob228

Quote:
I do better with my Nighthawk than I do with my Glock 21 and a 45 ACP round has about the same recoil as a 10mm round.
Put as much $ into training and ammo as you did into the pistol.
Old July 25, 2019, 09:34 AM   #10
JDBerg

When I lived in CO, I should have bought one of the two Nighthawk Custom Hi-Powers I saw for sale, $2,600 for the LN one, $3K for the BN one, but if you wanted a better put together Hi-Power you would have to have it built by a custom gunsmith for at least that much and up to a 2 yr. wait, oh well, snooze & lose!
Old July 25, 2019, 02:48 PM   #11
KyJim

I have a Nighthawk Falcon and absolutely love it. Some folks will never understand spending that much money on a pistol when others will do the same job. This is where I point out the $50,000 or $60,000 cars and pickups don’t get you from point A to point B any faster than KIA, at least not legally. That’s okay. Nearly everybody has that “thing” that want to have the very best of.
Old July 25, 2019, 04:19 PM   #12
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim:
I have a Nighthawk Falcon and absolutely love it. Some folks will never understand spending that much money on a pistol when others will do the same job.
“Some folks” can go think what they want to think. I know “some folks” who squawk about a $3K 1911, yet they have at least $3K worth of 1911’s and you can only shoot them 1 at a time anyway. If you can appreciate a nice firearm and can spend the money, AND (here’s a big one) you can hit a target with it like a fine firearm deserves to be shot, then go & enjoy yourself!
Old July 25, 2019, 04:30 PM   #13
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
“Some folks” can go think what they want to think. I know “some folks” who squawk about a $3K 1911, yet they have at least $3K worth of 1911’s and you can only shoot them 1 at a time anyway. If you can appreciate a nice firearm and can spend the money, AND (here’s a big one) you can hit a target with it like a fine firearm deserves to be shot, then go & enjoy yourself!
But "some folks" are going to point out what they think, that's nature. If "some folks" saying what they think ruins your experience with something you enjoy then you need to learn to take "some folks" less seriously and live your life.

Old July 25, 2019, 06:25 PM   #14
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat:
But "some folks" are going to point out what they think, that's nature. If "some folks" saying what they think ruins your experience with something you enjoy then you need to learn to take "some folks" less seriously and live your life.
I don’t have a dog in this fight. My 2nd hand DW Valor suits me just fine. But I have enjoyed shooting high end 1911’s owned by OP’s and I just wanted to offer a comment on the fact that KyJim loves his Nighthawk Falcon, and in the end the only opinion that matters is his.
Old July 25, 2019, 06:40 PM   #15
TunnelRat

I don't disagree that when buying something the opinion that matters most is your own. My point would be when you make the choice to post on a discussion forum about that purchase then you have to know that not every comment will be supportive.

Old July 26, 2019, 10:24 AM   #16
Fishbed77

Not sure if I was supposed to be one of the "some folks."

I can appreciate well-made, expensive pistols and why someone would want to buy one.

I also understand that that OP came here and basically said "the Nighthawk is so awesome because I can hit the target with it, but hitting the target with it feels more awesomer than with a cheaper pistol".

That's a worthless post to me. A waste of bandwidth.

I better approach would have been to show or explain what makes the Nighthawk such a great pistol, regardless of cost.
Old July 26, 2019, 10:56 AM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
Not sure if I was supposed to be one of the "some folks."

I can appreciate well-made, expensive pistols and why someone would want to buy one.

I also understand that that OP came here and basically said "the Nighthawk is so awesome because I can hit the target with it, but hitting the target with it feels more awesomer than with a cheaper pistol".

That's a worthless post to me. A waste of bandwidth.

I better approach would have been to show or explain what makes the Nighthawk such a great pistol, regardless of cost.
I don't see it as "worthless". There are plenty of threads on here that I don't care about, some of them even from you. I just don't participate in them. At some level this is a place for enthusiasts. It's okay to just like something and want to share liking that thing with a group of people who might appreciate it. Wanting a sense of community and sharing experiences online if you don't have that community locally isn't worthless, IMO.

Last edited by TunnelRat; July 26, 2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old July 26, 2019, 11:21 AM   #18
odugrad

I'm in agreement with Fishbed.

What I read in the post was, "I spent a lot of money. Money, money, money. My 1911 was super expensive. I've got money. I like expensive firearms. Please give my expensive 1911 attention. I've got lots of money".
Old July 26, 2019, 11:39 AM   #19
TunnelRat

And I could argue that what I read in your response is, "I don't have the money to spend on nicer handguns and when I read about people getting them it angers me so I take it out on them by being impolite." But just because I assume something doesn't make it true.

I know above I said that negative attention always comes with the internet. We could also try to, idk, not do that or not assume the worst about why someone makes a post.

Last edited by TunnelRat; July 26, 2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old July 26, 2019, 06:51 PM   #20
1MoreFord

Quote:

I can do all of that and more with my ole $400 Gold Cup with a busted dust tube. It ain't the bow and arrow it's the injun.
Old July 26, 2019, 07:59 PM   #21
odugrad

Wow. So you were able to get all of that from my interpretation of a poster's comment?

Having the money isn't an issue. But if you can find outstanding quality for a lesser price, it only makes sense to me to go that route. Just my opinion. Hopefully that was clear enough because some people seriously miss the mark when reading into posts.

Last edited by odugrad; July 26, 2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old July 26, 2019, 08:07 PM   #22
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
Wow. So you were able to get all of that from my interpretation of a poster's comment. You must be a seer, TunnelRat.

Having the money isn't an issue. But if you can find outstanding quality for a lesser price, it only makes sense to me to go that route. Just my opinion. Hopefully that was clear enough because some people seriously miss the mark when reading into posts.
If you look about 3 feet above you, you'll see my point, as it clearly went over your head.

The point is my taking that train of thought out of what you said could be about as incorrect as you taking from the OP that all he wanted to do was brag about the fact that he has money. You have no problem assuming the worst about someone, but then get upset when someone else does the same about you. The irony of your last sentence is so palpable that I could catch it with a magnet.

Last edited by TunnelRat; July 27, 2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old July 27, 2019, 07:12 AM   #23
labhound

To PhotonGuy, I can appreciate your enthusiasm about your Nighthawk and the accuracy you achieve with it. They are fairly expensive, well made guns and if you're happy with it then the cost was well worth it and negative comments from others are irrelevant.
Old July 27, 2019, 07:49 AM   #24
AgedWarrior

I have always appreciated a well made firearm. For that matter I love to see the work of genuine craftsmen who go out of their way to make the finest firearm they are capable of. In many ways, the idea of a genuine craftsman is pushed aside in the gun industry in favor of computer controlled machining processes. Nighthawk advertises their attention to each firearm as being crafted by a single individual gunsmith; from my observation their quality is quite good. No, I do not own one. The only gun I ever bought that came close to that was my Freedom Arms .454 that I bought about 25 years ago; that too was a well made handgun, built with precision and attention to detail. I remember how good I felt when I finally could afford that Freedom Arms gun. Shooting it the first time was extra special, even though the firearm was far more accurate than I could be the first time out. I don’t look to buy high dollar guns like that anymore, but I love 1911 pistols too, and since I want it to run smooth and shoot straight and be able to hold the builder accountable...I am building my own...but that is another story.
Give PhotonGuy a break and let him savor the new pistol. He is just trying to share his joy and enthusiasm. Congrats on the new pistol PhotonGuy!
Old July 31, 2019, 09:21 AM   #25
claydoctor

Haven't you ever bought something so cool, a gun, a car, a watch, a camera, that you just had to tell someone ? Don't rain on this guy's parade. By the way, I have a Nighthawk Heinie PDP commander and he's right. Helluva gun.