The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2012, 08:16 PM   #1
UtopiaTexasG19

What To Do When Seating Die Will Not Adjust In Enough?

I've used the same .223 Lee seating die for 3-4,000 rounds so far in weights from 55 grain to 77 grain and it has always worked perfectly. I received some pulled 62 grain bullets that have a really steep ogive and the die will not turn in enough to seat the bullets far enough. Apparently the shape of these bullets allow them to go into the seating pin all the way and I need another 35 thousands to seat deep enough. If I turn the seating pin around and use the flat end it flettens the tips of the bullets so that is a no go also. What can I do to fix this situation? Thanks...
Old August 10, 2012, 09:30 PM   #2
frumious

Well I guess you could take 35 thou off the bottom of the die with a file, then you could turn the whole die in further.

-cls
Old August 11, 2012, 02:14 AM   #3
impalacustom

Get a different seating stem, if they are Hornady dies they will send one to you free. Are you using SP bullets? You shouldn't have that much neck tension to flatten a FMJ.
Old August 11, 2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Nathan

Those 62 gr bullets are common and long because of the steel core. I would call the die maker and ask how to get the additional seating depth.

Likely, the will have some way to adjust the die to make it ok, modify your die, send you a new die or send you a new seater.
Old August 11, 2012, 08:13 AM   #5
PawPaw

Or, you could take 0.035 off the flat end of the seating pin. That looks to be the easiest fix and the pin would still have a flat end.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 11, 2012, 08:15 AM   #6
UtopiaTexasG19

From the looks of the set up I would have to ADD 35 thousands to the pin to push the bullet in that much more, not take 35 thousands off.

Someone on another forum said that I can send a sample bullet to Lee and they will send back a pin that fits that bullet shape for $8. That sounds like a good solution. (See The Quote Below)

Thanks for the help...

V-MAX Bullets Need Custom Bullet Seating Plug
Posted by Andy @ Lee Precision on 10 January 2012 11:57 AM
The bullet seating plug in the bullet seating and crimp die is generic and designed to seat a wide variety of bullet types. It is a very low drag bullet and has very steep sides. These steep sides allow a large portion of the bullet to slide into the bullet seating plug before the plug makes contact with the bullet ogive. This causes the bullet seating plug adjustment to bottom out before the bullet can be seated to achieve the cartridge overall length you are loading to.

A remedy for this is to order a custom bullet seating plug for $8.00 + shipping. Order the plug online at: http://leeprecision.com/custom-bullet-seating-plug.html

Send the sample bullet you want the plug made for, along with a copy of your invoice, and we will make the plug for you.

Lee Precision

4275 Highway U

Hartford, WI 53027

Last edited by UtopiaTexasG19; August 11, 2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old August 11, 2012, 08:27 AM   #7
Slamfire

Addressed the wrong issue. Opps!

Last edited by Slamfire; August 11, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old August 11, 2012, 09:43 AM   #8
tobnpr

Bullet seating issue, not a headspacing issue....
Old August 11, 2012, 01:16 PM   #9
ROGER4314

It would depend a lot on how many of those bullets I had. If it was 100, I'd put them away and chill out until I figured it out. If I had thousands of the bullets, I'd buy another set (brand) of dies and use them. That seating rod should be long enough to seat those bullets. If the Lee dies wouldn't reach, RCBS will.

Here's a thought................. borrow a seating die from a friend until you use all of the bullets. I'm not big on modifying the die to accommodate some pulled bullets.

Flash

Last edited by ROGER4314; August 13, 2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old August 11, 2012, 03:08 PM   #10
TimW77

Quick and simple (possible) fix

Sometimes Lee dies do not have enough threads.

Around 1986-88 Lee lengthened the threaded area on their dies but sometimes it still is not enough.

A possible fix is to screw the die body in enough to expose threads under the press and install your lock ring under the press. IF this works it may require you to greatly back out the seating stem.

T.