The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 8, 2018, 10:54 PM   #1
lmadsen

Safety for Hawthorne 558

I have a single shot 22 caliber rifle. It is a Hawthorne 558 model sold by Montgomery Ward. I discovered that the safety at some time has been removed. I have had it at a gunsmith but he was unable to find the safety in his collection of parts. I would appreciate it if anyone out there can help me find a safety for my gun.
Old March 9, 2018, 04:00 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Welcome to tfl!

I'd like to help, but can't do much. The key is finding out who made the rifle for Wards, and what model it is.

I did a couple of quick searches, and found a couple different tables listing the trade guns and who made them, but I now have doubts about the accuracy of all entries...

one said the Hawthorne 558 was a Mossberg 500. The other didn't list a Hawthorne 558 but did list some other Hawthorne models.

It did list a Western Field 558, but said it was (also) a Mossberg 500.

The only Mossberg 500 I know is a pump shotgun (and a very popular one).

so, stone wall there, sorry.

Your gun might be a Mossberg, or a Stevens, or a Marlin, or something else entirely. Once it's ID'd we can search for the part, but that doesn't mean its available. Some parts are only available by finding and buying the same make & model gun, tog get the part.

It's possible the safety from a closely related model might be fitted to work.

It's also possible one will have to be made. A good smith can do this, but its possible the cost of his labor (time) could exceed the value of the gun.

I did see an ad during my search, for a "Hawthorne 558 rifle", but it had been sold and there was no picture. Sold for $35.

Good Luck! If I come across any useful information, I'll post it.
Old March 9, 2018, 04:08 AM   #3
turkeestalker

The Hawthorne 558 was made by Colt and branded for Montgomery Ward.
It is actually the Colt Colteer model I believe but it looks as if Numrich (GPC) has a very limited stock of parts left on hand and no safety mechanism parts.
There is an outfit called Jack First that has several parts, but there was a semi-automatic version made, (called the Stagecoach I think?), and I'm not sure what parts are for what rifle.
Here is a link to their site and the parts that they have listed for that rifle.
Give them a call as they can probably tell you what you would need and whether or not they have it as not all of their inventory is listed online.
Hope this helps and good luck.
https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopi...-rifles?page=2