The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 3, 2018, 07:09 AM   #126
davidsog

Quote:
All I can say about using either one for home defense--be aware of what's beyond your walls.
That is it.

Focus on your shot placement and stay in the fight. Do not expect your shot to stop your opponent so keep shooting until it does!!
Old May 3, 2018, 08:26 AM   #127
stagpanther

I really like hearing miltary combat and police stories and correlations--but I'm not sure how they apply to the OP's original request.

I've heard of warnings where retaining a "evil AR" for home defense purposes is itself a potential liability--depending upon how "politically correct" a jury might be if a user were brought to trial for any reason. My concern would be for over-penetration of either incarnation--I seem to recall someone did a test somewhere using both the "police low penetration rounds" as well as military grade stuff--and pretty much in all cases all of them went right through multiple layers of dry-rock and wood studs.

Last edited by stagpanther; May 3, 2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:45 AM   #128
Eazyeach

ANYTHING you use for home defense will go through multiple layers of drywall. Haven’t we wasted enough data on this thread? Let it go!
Old May 3, 2018, 01:45 PM   #129
rickyrick

I’ve tested it and you are correct. I had a personal range. I tested drywall and 2x4s and made little walls. 9mm, 45, buckshot, .223 and similar. Some birdshot will rebound and sting your lips and face I discovered... lol ouch.

The US didn’t sign The Hague convention, so our military isn’t bound to FMJ but we follow anyway in most cases. Military ammunition use is a moot point. Personally I wouldn’t use a rifle in my home except in some dire situation. I wouldn’t used Fmj unless there was some real extremly desperate event.