The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 28, 2020, 11:08 PM   #1
Perldog007

Need experienced opinions .50 Cal pedersoli flintlock Hawken

Hello all, pondering an entry level flintlock rifle in .50, mostly for deer hunting legality in more places. I really want to spend a little tiny bit more and get the Pedersoli 'entry level' .36 flintlock rifle. But it is more restricted in what you can hunt with it where.
Can you use reduced loads, say fifty grains of 2f behind a patched ball to take small game reliably with a .50 where legal? Looks good 'on paper' has anybody done it?
Right now I'm seriously leaning towards a Pedersoli .36, and carrying a 44 with Kaido's VKV 220s' in it as a companion arm. Conversely, I would lean towards a .36 cal replica as a companion arm to a .50. not being a re-enactor or traditionalist.
The .36 rifle and .44 revolver combo would use the same propellant. I'm reading that the 3f can even be used to prime the pan?
Also, does anybody have a guess at whether or not a .377 conical can be forced down the bore of the Pedersoli .36, unpatched?
Old January 29, 2020, 02:11 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying in your post. It looks like you're asking if you can used reduced loads in a .50cal to shoot small game. The answer is yes, but it's still going to leave a big hole in what ever you shoot. If you're asking/suggesting you might want to use a .36cal for deer, the answer should be a resounding NO. It's simply not big enough and grossly underpowered for the application. A .50cal round ball weighs approx. 175g. A .45cal weighs approx. 127g. A .36cal round ball weighs approx. 68g. I've shot deer with the 50 and they usually drop in their tracks. I've shot them with a 45 and they often run a ways before dropping. A .36cal is designed for small game hunting only. Yes, it could kill a deer but it's really a poor choice and in most areas it's illegal. In fact, I don't know anywhere you can use it for deer.
Old January 29, 2020, 03:47 AM   #3
Hawg

Quote:
does anybody have a guess at whether or not a .377 conical can be forced down the bore of the Pedersoli .36, unpatched?
Sure you can if you use a big enough hammer. A .36 shouldn't even be considered for use on deer. Another thing to keep in mind is a .36 rifle won't use the same round balls as a .36 revolver.
Old January 29, 2020, 08:11 AM   #4
Perldog007

Calrified?

Yeah I wasn't being very clear. I guess what I am asking is which caliber an experienced flintlock shooter would consider if my goals are learning how to operate a flintlock and mostly small game hunting?
I lean towards the .36 for economy and small game. Is there any advantage real or percieved in starting out with a .50?
If I hate it does one resell better than the other in general?

So is a fifty that much more expensive to run' ? If going 'plinking' for a day is it that much easier to carry 100 rounds worth of components of .36 than .50?
Not a re-enactor or historicalically accurate enthusiast.
Also, are the pedersoli entry level locks worth the trouble? I got a Kentucky .45 pistol kit on sale and the lock appears to be 'mininum meets reaquirements'. Will they hold up?
Am I better off just spending the money and getting a half decent build? Will say a TVM rifle be that much better? ( personally not a cosmetics guy, function before curb appeal desired here )

I rarely shoot deer unless it is at revolver ranges, Being finicky when it comes to ingredient selection. I have been a 'two gun' hunter forever where it's legal.

Last edited by Perldog007; January 29, 2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old January 29, 2020, 09:42 AM   #5
NoSecondBest

Pedersoli makes some very, very high quality rifles. They don't take a backseat to anyone in either fit and finish, or accuracy. I've owned several of their Sharps replicas and they are as accurate as anything out there. They aren't a cheap gun, check the prices of their competition. The .36cal muzzle loader will dirty up a lot quicker than the larger bores and yes they are cheaper to shoot. Cheaper? You'd have to get a calculator out to see how much. If you're talking about taking it out several times a year and shooting it you might have to spend an extra twenty bucks a year more to shoot the bigger bore. You're only saving the difference in the cost of the amount of lead and a little bit on powder. It's not all that much when you look at it. I'd personally much rather have the larger caliber and "load it down". If and when you decide you want to go deer hunting with it you'd have enough gun to "get er done". There's a much bigger market for .50cal simply because there's a lot more guys deer hunting with these guns than there are squirrel hunting. FWIW, the Pedersoli will sell pretty quick if you clean it every, EVERY time you shoot it. You simply can't use black powder and clean the gun when you feel like it. It's kind of like feeding your dog after a day of hunting. You don't put it off.
Old January 29, 2020, 10:03 AM   #6
Perldog007

Quote:
You simply can't use black powder and clean the gun when you feel like it. It's kind of like feeding your dog after a day of hunting. You don't put it off.
Agreed. When I was doing security work my guns looked 'real'. I didn't baby them but they were cleaned regularly and always after a night in the rain.
Never owned a museum piece but these BP guns somewhow inspire a little more respect from me. Even the ones I use hard.

Tags
entry level flintlock , light load .50 cal