The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 8, 2019, 02:41 AM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The point of impact was 6" high, and there is no way to adjust the rear sight any lower. Might have to change to a different bullet to lower the point of impact.
Shooting high, even at 100yds (let alone 50) is common to military bolt actions from Europe and those Asian guns that were influenced by European standards.

Most of the rifles were intended to be zeroed at longer range, often 300m, and also the training standards of many nations taught soldiers to aim at the enemy's belt buckle which allowed for a reasonable torso hit, even when their range estimation was a bit off.

Going to a different bullet and load will, of course change the POI at various ranges, but consider this alternative, a different front sight.

Something tall enough, and that can be fitted to the rifle's dovetail then filed down to "adjust" it to get the desired POI at the desired range. Keep the original, of course so the rifle can be returned original configuration if/when desired.

I have heard of people removing the rear sight and milling down the base so the rear sits lower, to get the POI they want, which preserves the original LOOK of the rifle but its a permanent change (and to me, more work than its worth) while a different front sight might look a bit wrong, its not a permanent thing, so actual collector value (if any) isn't harmed as long as you have the original sight to put back on.

Arisakas aren't at the top of the desirable collector demand list now, but as time goes by they do get more rare and increase in value.
Old December 8, 2019, 07:12 AM   #27
mikejonestkd

44 Amp, thank for the sight info on mil surplus rifles. My first thought was to get a taller front sight, but I am going to see if I can regulate it with different bullet weights first.

Its a dandy of a little carbine- it handles and feels like a .22, not a centerfire rifle. I anticipate enjoying shooting it for years to come.
Old December 8, 2019, 03:28 PM   #28
tangolima

It would be hard to move poi this much by tweaking the load alone.

I built up the front sight with JB weld. It is quite easy to do and not hard to restore if need be.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk