The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2020, 10:54 PM   #1
Savagehawg

7mm 08 Bullet thoughts?

Trying to decide on a bullet to use in my 7mm-08, considering either Nosler Accubonds or Hornady Interbonds. My dilemma is i want a bullet for deer that is going to expand well at ranges from 40 out to 300 yards, but also tough enough to hold together on these thick hide big ole hogs we got around here lol. I have used SST and Ballistic tips before and i don't care for them, they work decent on Deer but on hogs in a lot of cases the bullet basically explodes and am not a fan of tracking a hog into briar thickets lol

Never used or loaded bonded bullets but, by looking at the specs for the bullets as long as i can push the muzzle velocities above 2400 fps at impact they should expand well. My dad loves the partition and really wants me to use that. So i have also been looking at the partition and the Hornady interlock bullets.
Old April 8, 2020, 06:22 AM   #2
hooligan1

Ive shot whitetails with Accubonds and they generally pass through, you should like those.
Old April 8, 2020, 06:45 AM   #3
ReloadKy

Savagehawg I am brand new to reloading for 7-08. I bought a savage 110 hunter with accustock so my young son and wife could both shoot the rifle for this upcoming deer season. However there was a problem with the rifle and I had to send it back to savage. That really stinks because I had planned on using this quarantine time to develop a load for that rifle. I do not have hogs to hunt so I am looking for deer bullets. I had ready really good things about 140 gr ballistic tips but I would also like to try to 140 gr partitions. Let me know what you learn in your search process.
Old April 8, 2020, 07:44 AM   #4
jmr40

The Partition and Interlock have proven to work and the Interlock is a relatively inexpensive bullet. You might want to go a little heavier, say 150-160 gr to ensure good penetration on the bigger stuff. Neither of those are the best long range bullets, but 300 yards isn't that far. You should still be OK with either at that range.

Another approach is to go with a 120 gr solid copper bullet loaded fast. I'm sure it will work too. Those are expensive bullets too, but no more so than Accubonds or Partitions.

The SST's and original Ballistic Tips were pretty soft and did over expand. But Nosler did start making the jackets thicker a few years back and from all reports the new BT's are performing much like the Accubonds now. And are less expensive. Once again I'd try a little heavier bullet.

But if you don't want to buy a bunch of different stuff to experiment with I'd start with Accubonds.

Winston Churchill
Old April 8, 2020, 10:06 PM   #5
Savagehawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReloadKy View Post
Savagehawg I am brand new to reloading for 7-08. I bought a savage 110 hunter with accustock so my young son and wife could both shoot the rifle for this upcoming deer season. However there was a problem with the rifle and I had to send it back to savage. That really stinks because I had planned on using this quarantine time to develop a load for that rifle. I do not have hogs to hunt so I am looking for deer bullets. I had ready really good things about 140 gr ballistic tips but I would also like to try to 140 gr partitions. Let me know what you learn in your search process.
Reloadky sorry to hear about your savage, i have 3 savage rifles, model 111 in 25-06 a 110 in 243 and a axis in 308, they all are tack drivers with the right loads. I tried SST and Nosler BT in my 25-06 shot for accuracy was outstanding but since the 25-06 was pushing them out at around 3100fps behind IMR4350 and all i could find was a brass cup and no lead i switched to a Hornady 120 grain hollow point and i have been shooting them for about 5 years and not one deer moved more than 20 feet. My wifes 243 we shoot Nosler Partitions, My dad loads my Moms 243 and all his 7mm Rem mags with Partitions, I shoot more than anyone in my family so i like shooting for accuracy i like trying to out do myself and plus i like shooting different bullets and experimenting.
Old April 9, 2020, 06:32 AM   #6
ms6852

I would work up loads on both kinds of bullets to find out which bullet your rifle prefers. Your rifle will decide for you.
Old April 9, 2020, 10:53 AM   #7
Wendyj

The Barnes bullet works good and I’ve liked the accuracy from the Speer Hot Cor.
Old April 9, 2020, 02:46 PM   #8
Mike / Tx

Honestly having been shooting feral hogs for the past decade or more in abundance, I've found that most of the mid weight for caliber cup and core bullets do a fine job.

I've used the partition in light calibers like my .243 and 25-06 but mainly due to the weight in both being only 100 or 115grs. In everything bigger Rem CL's got the job done with no issues and now in my .260, I'm using the 140gr Spitzer blems from Midway. They do just fine on whitetails, and my oldest grandson has some little phrase about them being pork seeking death rays cause when he hears me shoot we clean a hog.

All that said, there are plenty of higher dollar bullets available and some might even dona better job on some bigger game. Me, I know for a fact a 140gr Spitzer whether wearing a Hornady label or a white box from Midway does just fine and you usually get twice as many for the same prices.
Old April 11, 2020, 04:25 PM   #9
paknheat

Might take a look at the Sierra 140gn boat tail sp . I load these for my friend who shoots hogs & deer with a 7-08.

All he’s zapped with them have been drt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old April 11, 2020, 04:30 PM   #10
Panfisher

I shot a LOT of Hornady 139 gr BT Interlocks with great success, very boring, roughly 1.25 inch at 100 out of my little Rem 7, bang and things fell over. Later swith wed to Barnes TSX 120's and they were pure death too. Don't shoot it much any more though.