The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 11, 2020, 06:10 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

NZ Police Raid House Over .22 Lever-Action

https://www.rightminds.nz/articles/m...r-action-rifle

Summary: A man who protested the recent gun laws in New Zealand had posted a picture of his .22LR lever-action rifle arguing that this was not an assault rifle but would be banned by the new law. Based on that post, armed police raided his house in full gear even though he no longer possessed the rifle.

I guess NZ is willing to start the door-to-door raids on peaceable citizens to enforce the gun laws they passed. I mean, it is bad enough that the NZ government was the party responsible for giving the Australian immigrant with a history of white supremacist advocacy a gun license and then disarmed their own citizens after the result.
Old January 12, 2020, 05:01 AM   #2
Hal

Sad - but - we're (The USA) on the same course.
Old January 12, 2020, 06:12 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

That is a sad state of affairs, indeed.
Old January 12, 2020, 09:14 AM   #4
TXAZ

The other message is to carefully consider what you publish / post that may P.O. the authorities / cartels.

Anywhere.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 12, 2020, 09:58 AM   #5
an Old Shooter

That can happen here.

Virginia's new Democrat majority supports draconian gun laws with consideration starting Monday, January 12, in the General Assembly Senate Judiciary Committee. These are dangerous days ahead for all Virginians and the rest of the U.S.
Old January 12, 2020, 10:06 AM   #6
stinkeypete

Their country, their laws.
Old January 12, 2020, 11:06 AM   #7
TBM900

Coming soon to a U.S. city near you
Old January 12, 2020, 11:44 AM   #8
berettaprofessor

Quote:
Quote:
Sad - but - we're (The USA) on the same course.
Not likely. But could you guys/gals not be quite so resigned to defeat just yet? The individual discussed in the article is essentially being harassed for his outspoken views...that's terrorism under official guise.

Quote:
That can happen here.

Virginia's new Democrat majority supports draconian gun laws with consideration starting Monday, January 12, in the General Assembly Senate Judiciary Committee. These are dangerous days ahead for all Virginians and the rest of the U.S.
Yes, it can happen here. But I have faith in rural Virginians.
Old January 12, 2020, 02:44 PM   #9
SIGSHR

Yes, the Surveillance and Snitch Society is their goal, and Big Brother IS watching YOU.
Old January 12, 2020, 03:01 PM   #10
Bartholomew Roberts

It’s even worse than a surveillance and snitch society. As I understand it, he brought the picture as part of testimony to a select committee on legislation to point out that their “weapons of war” included his .22 lever-action.

The law passed despite gis protest and then police raided his house looking for the rifle after he continued to criticize the government online.
Old January 12, 2020, 04:41 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
it's already here, and has been for a while. Its just the enforcement is not general, yet.

And, what goes on, and is legal in a nation with laws different from ours is a different matter.

Look at what was linked. His house was raided and searched, apparently fairly politely. (holstered firearms only) they had a warrant under valid NZ law. There was no mention of restraint (other than the family was detained), no mention of their house and property being torn up, no prone'd out handcuffed homeowner, none of the smash and grab type tactics US SWAT teams have used. No illegal gun was found, no arrest was made, and police sort of apologized for having to have to do it.

Personally, I think if our police took that kind of approach people would feel better about it. Knock on the door in the middle of the day, not kick it in in the middle of the night goes a LONG way in public relations. So does not shooting anything that moves "for officer safety"....

Still, the main point is, they searched because he posted a picture of something, legal at the time, illegal now, and they thought he still had it.

It does lead me to wonder, don't they have complete registration in NZ??? If they do, shouldn't they have FIRST checked their records to see if he had sold the gun?? Lets say, for the sake of argument, because I don't know if they do or don't, but lets say that like many other places with British Commonweath heritage, they do have complete "cradle to grave" registration. This would be an example of a case where they had the tools needed to determine if he still owned the gun, but didn't bother to use them!

as far as what I meant by "its already here, and has been..." if you post a picture of yourself with an illegal item, or doing an illegal act, the police CAN come and get you. And, its legal. Pretty sure it would be "probable cause" for a search warrant.

And there have been cases, under specific laws where the picture alone is enough for not only an arrest, but a conviction, as well.

There was a case a few years back, a gal who was some kind of model, and was a prohibited person, who posted pictures of herself holding firearms. She got arrested and found guilty of violating her parole.

SO, it can happen, you CAN face legal consequences from posting a picture. Don't think otherwise. It is here, now. What differs from NZ is the details, and how our laws differ from theirs making enforcement different, at this time...
Old January 12, 2020, 05:39 PM   #12
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettaprofessor View Post
Not likely.
It has already been happening.

Quote:
But could you guys/gals not be quite so resigned to defeat just yet?
Could you join us in reality and realize how screwed we are on current course?

114 warrants served across Maryland since 'red flag' law went into effect

Oregon Has Used "Red Flag Laws" 166 Times in Two Years

More than 80 illegal guns seized over the weekend: police

Police raid home on illegal gun tip

Wrentham man arrested after raid, police seize cache of weapons
Old January 12, 2020, 08:07 PM   #13
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
It does lead me to wonder, don't they have complete registration in NZ??? If they do, shouldn't they have FIRST checked their records to see if he had sold the gun??
They are supposed to, but they also have issues with illegal guns or guns that never got registered. Unless the guy showed the exact serial number of the gun in the post, they would not know if it was a gun he had registered previously or not.
Old January 13, 2020, 08:41 AM   #14
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
it's already here, and has been for a while. Its just the enforcement is not general, yet.

And, what goes on, and is legal in a nation with laws different from ours is a different matter.

Look at what was linked. His house was raided and searched, apparently fairly politely. (holstered firearms only) they had a warrant under valid NZ law. There was no mention of restraint (other than the family was detained), no mention of their house and property being torn up, no prone'd out handcuffed homeowner, none of the smash and grab type tactics US SWAT teams have used. No illegal gun was found, no arrest was made, and police sort of apologized for having to have to do it.

Personally, I think if our police took that kind of approach people would feel better about it. Knock on the door in the middle of the day, not kick it in in the middle of the night goes a LONG way in public relations. So does not shooting anything that moves "for officer safety"....

Still, the main point is, they searched because he posted a picture of something, legal at the time, illegal now, and they thought he still had it.

It does lead me to wonder, don't they have complete registration in NZ??? If they do, shouldn't they have FIRST checked their records to see if he had sold the gun?? Lets say, for the sake of argument, because I don't know if they do or don't, but lets say that like many other places with British Commonweath heritage, they do have complete "cradle to grave" registration. This would be an example of a case where they had the tools needed to determine if he still owned the gun, but didn't bother to use them!

as far as what I meant by "its already here, and has been..." if you post a picture of yourself with an illegal item, or doing an illegal act, the police CAN come and get you. And, its legal. Pretty sure it would be "probable cause" for a search warrant.

And there have been cases, under specific laws where the picture alone is enough for not only an arrest, but a conviction, as well.

There was a case a few years back, a gal who was some kind of model, and was a prohibited person, who posted pictures of herself holding firearms. She got arrested and found guilty of violating her parole.

SO, it can happen, you CAN face legal consequences from posting a picture. Don't think otherwise. It is here, now. What differs from NZ is the details, and how our laws differ from theirs making enforcement different, at this time...
Good, rational, post...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 14, 2020, 06:19 PM   #15
Bartholomew Roberts

I should emphasize that he wasn’t raided for posting a picture of an illegal gun. At the time, the gun was legal - and the picture was used as evidence to protest the gun law to the legislature. It was only after the law passed and he continued to be critical of it that his home was raided.
Old January 14, 2020, 09:55 PM   #16
shurshot

I recently saw an article on BBC, about an English man who was arrested after the police found a "shed full of guns". The picture was a collection of antique Webley air pistols and some air rifles. These Liberals are Going crazy! Airguns???
Old January 15, 2020, 12:40 AM   #17
JohnKSa
Staff

If they exceed a certain power level, airguns are regulated as firearms in England.

I believe it's 12ft-lbs for air rifles (735fps with a 10gr pellet) and 6ft-lbs for air pistols (580fps with an 8gr pellet).
Old January 15, 2020, 03:07 AM   #18
JERRYS.

red flag laws here will be the same result
Old January 15, 2020, 03:47 AM   #19
Hal

Quote:
Not likely. But could you guys/gals not be quite so resigned to defeat just yet?
Just yet you say?

Tell me something - I've been active in the fight since the late 1960's & I've seen so much ground lost, I'm at the point where my back is pretty much close to the sea.

Pray tell, how long is your memory of how this used to be & how much .gov incursion into your private rights have you experienced?