The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 26, 2018, 11:04 AM   #1
Rothdel

Easiest gun to keep running

I was reading Guns of the Old West magazine yesterday and they had an article on one of the Pedersoli reproduction lever guns called the 1873 Trapper in 45LC.

In the article the author referenced how easy it was to maintain given the spaciousness of the frame and simplicity of the action.

I have never had to rely (as in life or death) on a gun other than my concealed carry guns one of which I carry 99% of the time and check for function every week or so. This has never concerned me overly much as I have other guns I could sub if I had to although I prefer not to switch on a regular basis. If I have to send my LCP in to be repaired or have to do the repair myself I would not be defenseless, unable to put food on the table, ect ect ect.

This got me thinking. Overall what is the easiest gun to keep running with out access to a gunsmith/unlimited pre-made parts for the average person? I get average is a vague term but I really mean lack of gunsmithing/machining abilities

I would assume a break action single shot shotgun but I'm not sure. Semi auto pistols are easy to swap parts in but it does require the parts to be on hand. Machining parts for a gun are possible but the moving pieces of a semi auto seems like it would be beyond the average person. I know it would be for me.

This is not a best gun for the end of the world discussion so please don't take it there.

So what is the most reliable, easy to keep running, tough as nails firearm out there?
Old February 26, 2018, 11:45 AM   #2
Scorch

Mauser 98. If it can stand up to the best a soldier can dish out, it has got to be good. The M98 stood up to soldiers in several wars. Very few parts, very rugged parts.
Old February 26, 2018, 12:46 PM   #3
FITASC

Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 Wingmaster; simple, functional, deadly
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 9, 2018, 02:01 PM   #4
Rachen

In my experience: either a black powder converted SA wheelgun or cartridge SA wheelgun. Very few moving parts and with practice and repetition, one can replace parts literally while blindfolded. And using cartridges loaded with smokeless powder means that far less gunk will be deposited on the cylinder pin and bore and could be kept running much longer.

And the 1873 levergun is actually designed more superiorly than the 1892, which was meant to be the 73's next step of evolution. The 1873 has a side plate which makes the internal works easily accessible for cleaning or repairs and the toggle-link mechanism allows for one extra round to be stored in the mag tube and the feeding channel. The 1892 lacks both of these features.
Old March 9, 2018, 06:31 PM   #5
lamarw

When I was a youngster, I had a Winchester Model 67A bolt action single shot .22 which was for .22 S, L & LR. I don't know that there was anything more simplistic or reliable.
Old March 10, 2018, 12:46 AM   #6
JoeSixpack

@Scorch probably hit the nail on the head.
I don't own one but the Mauser 98 from what I know of it was the pinnacle of bolt action rifles.. The bolt actions I do have experience with are really simple.

However If we're talking about the simplest firearm.. I'd say a slamfire 12ga is probably about as simple as it gets, can find parts at any plumbing / hardware store.
Old March 10, 2018, 04:12 AM   #7
johnwilliamson062

Production would be a single action break 12.

The slamfire 12 ga would be for home made. I hadn't thought of that before it was posted. Not only can you find parts in any store, but also almost any house.
Old March 10, 2018, 07:35 AM   #8
Johny Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothdel View Post

So what is the most reliable, easy to keep running, tough as nails firearm out there?

A Glock, hands down, no comparison. Why you may wonder, parts availability anywhere and cheap and factory parts to boot.
One of the big reasons they have been able to kick everyone else's butt in the market.

People seldom look at the over all picture when buying anything.
I personally don't give a r ats a-- about life-time warranties, it's mainly a marketing gimmick.

But if I can't even buy a simple recoil spring for my semi-automatic and at a reasonable price you can kiss my a-- !

I had my heart set on buying a certain brand automobile but settled on a Ford, cause dealerships every where, parts galore and even neighborhood Joe Blow knows how to work on it.

Unfortunately for me I will never own another Glock because they malfunction on me because I shoot one handed and can't get a good grip and Glocks are notorious for the limp wrist syndrome, but they are very simplistic in nature which I like.

So I'm back on the revolvers, but even I'd put a Glock as reliable. Maybe even more reliable.
Imagine that uh, a Tupperware engineer kicked America's a-- in the gun racket. And in less than 30 years. Our side is now all owned by Wall-Street and the profit margin for the investors.

Throwing s--t into the market place to see what will stick.
Old March 10, 2018, 08:57 AM   #9
TXAZ

No question AK-47.
Simplicity in design, runs without cleaning for 1,000’s of rounds, loose tolerances, very seldom jams or stovepipes, or complains about crappy ammo.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 10, 2018, 10:38 AM   #10
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
But if I can't even buy a simple recoil spring for my semi-automatic and at a reasonable price you can kiss my a--
Most of the springs in a break action can be produced at home or salvaged from other items. Not perfect, but close enough the firearm can continue to function. Getting a spring correct for a semi-auto is not quite as simple.

I am quite certain the answer to this isn't any breed of semi-auto.
Old March 10, 2018, 01:24 PM   #11
osbornk

I think the most reliable firearm is a break action single shot shotgun, normally 12 gauge. They can lay around anywhere (a lot were propped up in barns) for decades and they shoot and most are never cleaned. It was just a farmer's tool laying around. The 2nd would be a pump action shotgun like a Ithica 37, Mossberg 500, etc. My J. C. Higgins 12 gauge pump made in 1947 shoots just as reliably as my almost new Mossberg 500.
Old March 10, 2018, 05:57 PM   #12
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny Smith View Post
A Glock, hands down, no comparison.

Unfortunately for me I will never own another Glock because they malfunction on me because I shoot one handed and can't get a good grip.
I would think that a gun that routinely malfunctions would be disqualified from be classified as the most reliable.
Old March 11, 2018, 01:31 AM   #13
JoeSixpack

@Red, I think he was saying the malfuction was his own fault, He shoots with 1 hand and could not get a firm enough grip to prevent limp wrist induced malfunctions.

Glocks are notorious to being sensitive to that.. some semi autos are more prone to it then others.
Old March 11, 2018, 02:10 AM   #14
rickyrick

Mossberg 500
Beretta 92
Mini 14
Almost would say No4 Mk2 but just an almost
Old March 11, 2018, 03:22 AM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
This got me thinking. Overall what is the easiest gun to keep running with out access to a gunsmith/unlimited pre-made parts for the average person?
Matchlock

Then Flintlock..

Old March 11, 2018, 10:13 AM   #16
luger fan

Your weapon SHOULD be able to operate strong or weak hand. What if you are injured in a fight? Yell uncle?
Old March 11, 2018, 03:37 PM   #17
johnwilliamson062

The black powder guns do not take a whole lot of mechanical maintenance, but corrosion can be an issue.
Old March 12, 2018, 11:46 AM   #18
Carne Frio

Glock for handgun, AK47 for long gun.
Old March 12, 2018, 02:35 PM   #19
johnwilliamson062

I'm amazed by the people posting glock and AK or other semi-autos. I would support them if the question was limited to semi-auto, but I can't see how they could outperform the simpler actions. A lot of break action shotguns can go tens of thousands of rounds without any hiccups.
Even a Glock needs spring changes along the way.
Old March 12, 2018, 02:50 PM   #20
TailGator

^^^^^ Makes sense to me.
Old March 12, 2018, 11:26 PM   #21
Koolmoose

The simplest guns I own are a JC Higgins single shot 22 S,L,LR, and an H&R Topper 12 gauge.
Old March 12, 2018, 11:51 PM   #22
4V50 Gary
Staff

Flintlock's springs must be balanced. The frizzen spring must be strong enough to offer resistance to the striking of the cock and its mainspring. If the frizzen spring is too weak, you won't get sparks.

I've seen where the lockplate screws were too tight and binding happens too.