The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 23, 2018, 05:18 PM   #26
Hawg

My dad used 3n1 oil for many years until he switched to WD-40. I agree it's not a lube but when I got his guns after he died they weren't gummy or sticky and they didn't have varnish built up in them. They were just dry. To me tho after smelling his guns and using it myself on my guns when I was young they just aren't clean if they don't smell like 3n1. I might use whatever is available on the inside but I like 3n1 on the outside.
Old February 23, 2018, 06:46 PM   #27
Mike38

Quote:
Grease if it slides? Then why do we lube wheel bearings with grease?
I have always wondered about that myself. A piston slides, but oil works just fine. Matter of fact, a modern high performance racing motorcycle runs at 12,000 RPM. If Mobile One can keep it from self destructing, it would laugh at what a gun requires for lube. Yea, guns and cars aren't the same, but the basic fundamentals of motion, be it sliding or rotating, is exactly the same no matter the parts.