The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 19, 2018, 06:55 PM   #51
wmg1299

I feel your pain with the holster problem. I own more holsters than I do pairs of shoes. I picked up a Sticky Holster for my 642, and have been pleasantly surprised. Sticky Holsters use friction to stick in place, so there are no clips. You can move the holster to different positions easily, or slip it in a pocket. I bought it for the rare times when I'm not wearing a belt (ex. jogging) and the holster stayed in place with just the pressure from the drawstring on my sweats. I cannot 100% recommend it until I carry it longer and can attest to its durability, but it may be worth checking out.
Old January 19, 2018, 08:07 PM   #52
nanney1

Right now, I'm pocket carrying my 442 with the nylon holster. It's not the best set-up, but I'm carrying. I don't really care for using my "keys" pocket for the gun. My preference would be to carry my Shield but it's not a great pocket carry. I can do it, but the 442 is better in the pocket.

I will probably order an IWB holster this weekend as I need to try something with the Shield and give it a go.
Old January 19, 2018, 08:19 PM   #53
nanney1

P.S. I don't have my keys in the same pocket with the holstered 442. I've moved the keys to the left side pocket.
Old January 21, 2018, 02:45 PM   #54
5whiskey

Quote:
I picked up a Sticky Holster for my 642, and have been pleasantly surprised. Sticky Holsters use friction to stick in place, so there are no clips. You can move the holster to different positions easily, or slip it in a pocket
If I have to tuck a shirt in and carry concealed I use a remora (a type of friction hold holster). Its not ideal for my line of work, as reholstering is dangerous and/or requires two hands, but it is as comfortable as IWB can get probably. And you can tuck a shirt over it. And its inexpensive.
Old January 21, 2018, 05:23 PM   #55
brian33x51

I've carried leather before and far far prefer kydex for IWB. I carry 2 to 2:30. I prefer a speed clip canted holster for normal EDC with a thin undershirt and carry a vedder light tuck clone (foxtrot concealment) for church. A proper gun belt is essential.
Old January 21, 2018, 07:49 PM   #56
GeauxTide

Quote:
Maybe try a Remora or one of its competitors. It is useful as either a pocket or an IWB holster, has no clip, and stays in place surprisingly well. They are quite reasonably priced, so it wouldn't be an expensive experiment.
I've one for a G19 and a 1911 and they are awesome. The 1911 has a velcro stap that will allow OC, too.
Old February 14, 2018, 06:36 PM   #57
Tward

Own holster

I bought inexpensive holsters for years then when I got my SCCY I sprang for a Kydex holster from Cleveland Kydex. Thin and light and secure a joy to carry! I ended up buying a quality used holster for my GP-100 and sprang for a Mernickle for my little Bearcat. You definitely get what or pay for with holsters. Just my experience. Tim
Old February 14, 2018, 06:51 PM   #58
nanney1

OP here: I got lucky I guess. I purchased a CYA IWB for the Shield 9mm. Did not want to use a belted OWB and the paddle options weren't what I was looking for. So, I decided to just try the IWB and see. I prefer 4 - 4:30 and it works for me. No need to look for another.

If I'm wearing shorts without a belt, I just pocket carry the 442 in the nylon holster. However, with the 7 round mag in the Shield, it pocket carries almost as well.
Old February 16, 2018, 11:07 PM   #59
Northof50

The toughest part about IWB holster is -

If you're fat an out of shape, they are uncomfortable and suck.

If you're in shape, you'll never know the gun is there.

Been there for both. It's the reason I can eat salads :-)
Old February 19, 2018, 08:38 PM   #60
cw308

Like most of us here , I have four different holsters for each gun , shoulder , inside , outside & paddle . All of them leather. Never tried those plastic ones . The gun I favor is the Colt 3" 1911New Agent in 45acp.