The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 18, 2013, 11:11 AM   #1
anthonycd1

.348 winchester

My grandfather gave me a few boxes of old .348 wincheater. I don't know much about them. Anyone have some good info on them? Anyone know of any guns for sale? Is there any components around to reload them? Thanks
Old March 18, 2013, 11:22 AM   #2
charlie in md

Search on 348 Winchester in gunbroker and gunsinternational shows model 71's going for a minimum of $700, with most at double that. There are plenty of reloading recipes for the cartridge.
Old March 18, 2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I think the simple thing here is to direct you to the Wikipedia entry on the gun. It gives last date of m.71 rifle production as 1958. Custom guns can be made, of course. Hornady still makes a couple of .348 bullets and Barnes makes one. Hodgdon has load data. So it's not completely dead.

I would point out that if your ammo is very old, it may have deteriorated powder in it, depending on the storage conditions. I would pull bullets and charge with new powder if I was unsure of the age. It might be worth a little to a cartridge collector if it is early original production.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 18, 2013, 12:32 PM   #4
Mausermolt

the 348 is awesome! the Winchester 71 is the only commercialy produced rifle chambered in 348. these rifles are a bit hard to find and usually bring a premium. my father bought 3 71's back in the 80's one for himself and two for my brother and i. i took this cow this last elk season at 50 yards. i use IMR 4064 under a 200grn Hornady interlock
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1106120753a.jpg (129.3 KB, 16 views)
Old March 18, 2013, 01:03 PM   #5
anthonycd1

My grandfather told me it was a very good gun and very good cartridge. He had 4 at one time and all the stuff to reload them but sold it all off. Best thing to do with the ammo I guess is to buy a gun for it. Thanks everyone.
Old March 18, 2013, 04:04 PM   #6
SL1

There were some later copies of the Winchester Model 71 that I think were made in Asia and sold as "Browning" guns. They are of excellent quality. I don't know what they would be worth today. By the way, they are a lot heavier than a lever-action .30-30 or .35 Remington.

This gun is often converted to the .450 Alaskan or .50 Alaskan cartridge because it is designed to handle the large diameter case head of the .348 Winchester cartridge. Its weight makes more sense with those more powerful cartridges. (But its steel butplate doesn't!)

SL1