The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 18, 2013, 12:09 PM   #1
greenhorng

Model 27-2 price check

What is a reasonable price on a 27-2, 5 inch barrel. Very nice condition with slight blueing wear at muzzle only. Factory target grips and presentation case. Found one locally. Thanks.
Old March 18, 2013, 02:43 PM   #2
old bear

Is the serial number on the grips the same as on the frame? Does the serial number start with an "S" or "N" again it matters. Is it equipped with a target hammer and or target trigger? Believe it or not this matters.

Best guess based on very little information would be starting at $650.00 and up. This information is based on pre-panic pricing.

I've attached two snaps of my 5" M 27-2 that was made some time between 1966 and 1967. I also have the factory grips. I value this one at a minimum of $750.00 Hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo019.jpg (150.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Photo018.jpg (165.7 KB, 27 views)
Old March 18, 2013, 05:08 PM   #3
greenhorng

Serial # starts with N. Not sure about grips but am told they are original. They look correct.
Old March 18, 2013, 06:07 PM   #4
old bear

For what it is worth it is my understanding that S&W switched from the "S" prefix to the "N" prefix in the early 1970's.

Ask the seller to remove the grips the serial number should be written on the right grip. If you don't see a serial number don't worry, about the same time, early 70's, S&W stopped matching the grips to the revolvers.

What is the seller asking??
Old March 18, 2013, 06:16 PM   #5
greenhorng

No serial # on grips. Asking $700
Old March 18, 2013, 06:46 PM   #6
Winchester_73

Quote:
For what it is worth it is my understanding that S&W switched from the "S" prefix to the "N" prefix in the early 1970's.
I'm pretty sure it was in 1968, when the GCA of 1968 was passed.

Quote:
Ask the seller to remove the grips the serial number should be written on the right grip. If you don't see a serial number don't worry, about the same time, early 70's, S&W stopped matching the grips to the revolvers.
Well now that depends. There were two main grip types for the model 27 in those years, target grips (they cover up the butt and front strap, but reveal back strap) and magna grips (magnas reveal the entire frame, including the butt, so you can see the SN). Only magna grips had the SN inside the grip, and I think that actually continued to the late 1970s. Target grips at that time never had the SN inside them because the wrap around target grip required much less precise hand fitting whereas the magna grip required hand fitting so the grip would be flush with the grip straps of the frame.

Also, as for the target hammer, target trigger, and target grips, those were optional I believe before 1975, but after 1975, they were standard. Also the standard front sight was a vertical patridge sight (90 degree angle with barrel) but you could have ordered the gun with a ramp front sight aka baughman. So if the gun is say a N75000 gun, its prior to 1975 IIRC, and if it had TH, TT, TG and a ramp front sight, then we could call it a "loaded" or well optioned example. Standard equipment would be the plain hammer (not sure how wide, but much less than .500 which was width of the target hammer) and the trigger would be the same width throughout, whereas a target trigger flairs out from the top of it (where it enters the mechanism) then down.

Quote:
No serial # on grips. Asking $700
Its well worth that IMO. The big thing about the gun is that it has one of the more popular barrel lengths. People like them in 3.5 in, 5 in and also 4 in. Many people feel that 5in is the perfect barrel length and Skeeter Skelton was famous for saying that he felt the perfect revolver was a 27 (or perhaps S&W 357) with a 5in barrel. As long as it has about 95% of its finish, I would buy the gun for $700.

And one other thing, IMO this is one of the best 357 DA revolvers ever made and it is at least in the convo with the Python. Of course maybe the Python had a little more hand fitting, but for all that hand fitting, the Python was not any better. The 27 had a fine polish, fine fit and finish, great sights, a great trigger and a great feel. It is also a very durable 357, if someone wants to make powerful reloads. Of course, one should never go above and beyond the specs in a reloading manual for a 357 ctg.

Last edited by Winchester_73; March 18, 2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:00 PM   #7
old bear

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was in 1968, when the GCA of 1968 was passed.
You are right, and I stand corrected.

To the O/P if the gun is in as good condition as you state, I think that is more than a fair price.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:43 PM   #8
greenhorng

Bought it. Cell phone pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-1.jpg (255.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg photo-2.JPG (176.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (253.0 KB, 24 views)
Old March 18, 2013, 07:53 PM   #9
Winchester_73

Wow I missed that you said it had the case and tools. That case with the tools is worth approx $150 to the right guy, and they bring over $100 all the time on ebay. You did great, congrats on a fine revolver.

Your gun has TG, TH, TT and the ramp front sight. What is the SN? I bet it was 1975 or later, but if not, that was all optional.

You did very well at $700 - I'd say its worth $1000 as is due to the condition, having the case, and the barrel length.

In case you didn't know, 27-2s are sought after for many reasons, but one of them is they were the last series with the pinned barrel and the recessed aka counter-sunk cylinders. There is a barrel pin right behind the barrel in the frame which was discountinued around 1980, and a little after that, the recessed cylinder was as well. If you drop a round into the cylinder, it will sit flush with the rear of the cylinder = recessed cylinder. Later cylinders, and with most Colts, the round sat on the face of the cylinder, so from the side, you could see the rim of the ctg. They originally counter sunk the cylinders IIRC because of primers backing out with magnum rounds which could bind the cylinder making the gun inoperable. Thats why all of the magnum revolvers had the feature up until the early 1980s. The rimfire revolvers did as well.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:36 PM   #10
greenhorng

SN# N362321