The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 17, 2012, 11:28 PM   #1
burdoglovr

wanting to buy an AR, AK, or ps90

i currently have a norinco 7.62x39, and am looking to get something along the lines of an AR-15, and AK-47, or a ps90. what experiences have you had with any of these and what would you recommend? do most of you find it nicer to have one that fires the same caliber as another, or to have completely different calibers? looking for some advice.
Old September 17, 2012, 11:49 PM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

AKs are cheaper, shoot for less, and generally more reliable
ARs are more abundant, the aftermarket is huge, and they tend to be more accurate
PS90s are expensive, the ammo is expensive and underpowered, the factory sights are terrible (assuming you get one that has sights) and the aftermarket is almost nonexistent.
Old September 17, 2012, 11:52 PM   #3
9mm

AK's prices I seen $650 and AK pistols $750 -.- ........... I buy an AR Colt for $1200 or so. Maybe S&W for $900ish??
Old September 18, 2012, 07:01 AM   #4
cannonfire

Ridgerunner pretty much hit it on the head but it depends what the purpose is.

I will say this about the ps90. It is the most fun gun to shoot out of the guns you listed. Ammo is still expensive by the standard of the other two but it has become more available and cheaper than what it was. When I first got my ps90 it was like $23 per 50 and I could only find it one store. Now you can get a box of 50 for about $17. And a $30 sight light makes the sights much better. But $1600-1700 for a plinker is a lot.
Old September 18, 2012, 06:45 PM   #5
Gold Nugget

Get the PS90

The PS90 is great. I have an AK, but the overall experience of shooting the PS90 is much better. You have fifty rounds and it feels like you are shooting a BB Gun. Try to buy a PS90 Gen 1.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:42 PM   #6
HKFan9

Having owned all 3.... they are all so different you need to decide what you want.

AK's are great... but they aren't as cheap to shoot anymore as once before.... that old surplus ammo is drying up... now I heard its cheaper these days if you get a AK-74 variant.

AR's are my personal favorite. Super simple, Super accurate... ammo is EVERYWHERE and in most cases I see, I can now buy 5.56 ammo cheaper than I can 7.62x39 (AK ammo) AR's are also super adaptable... you can go from a pistol to a 24'' barrel precision weapon... and anything in between.

PS90... unique... if you shop smart ammo isn't TOO expensive.. about the same as buying .40S&W ammo generally... problem is with almost no recoil and 50 round stock mags... the ammo vanishes quickly.

I DO NOT think the 5.7x28 round is "under powered" I have used it, and it does its job very well. It wasn't designed to be on the same power levels as an assault rifle. I am a fan of the round... however I will say I favor the FiveseveN handgun over the PS90.

You can't go wrong with any of the three... YOU need to determin what factors are important to you.

Also price of the weapons themselves....

PS90 will be the most expensive unless you find a really good deal used.

AR will generally be the next most expensive but you can keep costs down shopping smart or building yourself. You can get a Stag brand new for $750 locally here.

AK will be about the same price as a decent AR (for a good one) You can get WASR's for around $600 these days... which is a joke... I paid $250 for one a few years back. Arsenal is where you want to look for a good AK variant IMHO.
Old September 19, 2012, 04:32 AM   #7
Justice06RR

Out of the 3, I would suggest the AR15, the AK, then the PS90 in that order.

All are good platforms, but the AR has the most widely supported platform, most popular, and probably the most accurate--but that depends on the shooter and how you set up the rifle. Ammo is plentiful if you go with 5.56/223 and can be as reliable and affordable as an AK.

AK's are awesome too, but IMHO its a more "rugged" platform and a little less aftermarket support (not by much) and is less accurate than the AR. Ammo is cheap and plentiful, but some have said that supply is slowly drying up.

I've not had the pleasure to own or shoot the PS90 unfortunately
Old September 21, 2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Departed402

I wouldn't recommend the PS90 as a first choice, but THIS is neat...
Old September 21, 2012, 10:43 PM   #9
Jo6pak

Personally, the PS90 is the most underwhelming gun I've shot to date. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but I was not at all impressed. Sights are vague, trigger horrendous; and yes, it was like shooting a .22...a very expensive .22.

For pure fun factor, the AK wins. Something about the clunky controls, recoil ans sound make it the one that alwasy puts a smile on my face. And, yes, it's nice having guns in the same caliber for ease/value of bulk ammo purchases.

For anything else beyond fun range time, get the AR.
Old September 22, 2012, 12:36 AM   #10
nfafan

Get the one that will be banned 1st. Hint; it won't be the USA-made ARs.