The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 17, 2013, 05:09 PM   #1
Nick9130White

Trap shooting

So I've started trap shooting last Friday (thought it was more expensive then it was) and I'm really enjoying it. I got 21/25 on the "fast" launcher. But then I pressed my luck on launching two and I can only seem to hit the second once or twice.
Are there any tips on dusting both of them?
Old February 17, 2013, 05:33 PM   #2
darkgael

Advice

Advice. Yes......be careful. It is an addictive sport.
Seriously, though, I would not (and I have not) worry about shooting Double Trap until I had a bunch of 25 straights under my belt and had done a fair amount of handicap shooting.
What about the "fast" machine? To what are you referring? If you are shooting ATA 16 yard Trap singles, the birds are all at the same speed.
Olympic/International/Bunker Trap machines throw a much faster bird but there are fifteen machines in the trap house.
If you were shooting Olympic Trap and shot 21 on your first outing, you did very well indeed.
Pete
Old February 17, 2013, 05:45 PM   #3
balyon85

Re: Trap shooting

I bought a shotgun looking for just home defense, the first time shooting it was trap. Must say, I've now invested in a proper barrel and chokes. Its lots of fun and addicting as Pete mentioned. Might be going tomorrow too.
Old February 17, 2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Nick9130White

Trap shooting

It is so addicting. I'm going this Friday also.

The machines have "slow", "med" and "fast" spray painted on em. All have different spring sizes and I think different throwing arms.

What are the difference between those three types of trap?
Old February 17, 2013, 06:01 PM   #5
balyon85

Place I go doesn't have a difference, its all hidden under a bunker in front of the line.
Old February 17, 2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Nick9130White

Trap shooting

Oh, is yours electronic? The one I go to is manual
Old February 17, 2013, 06:24 PM   #7
balyon85

Yup. Can either use voice or button. Its fun, and easy to do even alone. Not bad price either, 7 for 25. Even have sporting clays and skeet.
Old February 17, 2013, 09:34 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

Go to Remington's website and search for thetrapandskeet brochures. They are a downloadable PDF and will give you tips and ideas
Old February 18, 2013, 12:00 AM   #9
Nick9130White

Trap shooting

That's not a bad price at all!

I pay $16, and I have to supply my own clays. But the $16 also give me access to the rifle/shotgun/pistol ranges.

Thank you for the info! I'll check out Remington's site
Old February 18, 2013, 03:23 AM   #10
Dreaming100Straight

Did they have actual trap houses or did they rent throwing machines that you took to field?
Old February 18, 2013, 06:58 AM   #11
Virginian

Forgive me if this sounds like lecturing. Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays are all specific games, with specific rules. The ideal gun requirements vary for those games. Look them up for more info.
That is not to say there is anything wrong with going out in a pasture and shooting clay pigeons. It's great; I have a machine and do it all the time. But it is not either of those games. It is shooting clay pigeons. The only reason I point this out is it matters a lot when asking for advice. For example, shooting "doubles" off a manual thrower may be about as difficult as you can get, because that right hand bird doesn't stay in the air very long, and it is close enough to need an open choke, and if you shoot it first, you probably need more choke for the other target by the time you get on it. Fine if you have a good two barreled gun, but not for us single barrel guys.
Old February 18, 2013, 12:53 PM   #12
Nick9130White

Trap shooting

Here's a picture of emImageUploadedByTapatalk1361209632.784306.jpg
I didn't take that picture, but it's where I was at.
They're cemented into the ground and they throw the clays off a small cliff. They call it "manual trap range", but I'm new to the sport so I don't really know different
Old February 18, 2013, 12:56 PM   #13
Nick9130White

Trap shooting

And I only have a single barrel too, I was using my benelli factory mod because I'm practicing for waterfowl season. I think the only other choke i have for it that I can use is IC but the IM and F I can't shoot steel through them.
Old February 18, 2013, 01:13 PM   #14
Tombstonejim

I don't know what that is but a Trap range looks like this. That's just some kind of clay throwing range.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...tYq4wyiOzyfMEP
Old February 18, 2013, 07:20 PM   #15
darkgael

trap

Nice pic.

Nick: that little box-like structure in the middle of the picture is the Trap House, that is where the machine is. It is 16 yards away from the shooters in the foregrround. Once the clay is released, at 40 miles an hour, it will be about 30-40 yards away by the time the shooter shoots at it.
pete
Old February 18, 2013, 08:17 PM   #16
Nick9130White

Trap shooting

Damn that's fast, definitely not going as fast or as far. I'll give that one a try one of these days
Old February 18, 2013, 08:29 PM   #17
BigD_in_FL

Here is the site for the Remington brochure, now that I am home and not on a stupid Ipad:
http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...downloads.aspx
Old February 18, 2013, 08:41 PM   #18
balyon85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstonejim View Post
I don't know what that is but a Trap range looks like this. That's just some kind of clay throwing range.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...tYq4wyiOzyfMEP
Thats what the range I goto looks like. I'm only able to hit about 18-20 on my better sets with a full choke. I find when I try to hit them early I rush some, increasing my misses. When I slow down and get a good line on the clay I do alittle better. Still working on the ones that shoot straight out, those I struggle with most. Ones going out more to the sides I am best at hitting frequently.

One day I will try their sporting clay and skeet areas.
Old February 18, 2013, 09:42 PM   #19
darkgael

Another note

Quote:
Damn that's fast, definitely not going as fast or as far. I'll give that one a try one of these days
40 mph is ATA (Amateur Trapshooting Assoc.)
International/Olympic Trap throws a smaller, harder bird yet faster (60+mph) and allows less shot (7/8ths ounce).
Pete