The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 26, 2012, 06:00 PM   #1
Thunder Struck

Finally Bought My First Handgun - Ruger SR9

Well, it isn't officially mine as I have it in layaway, but soon it will be all mine.

I had a very difficult time trying to decide what I wanted in just about every aspect, from caliber, to brand, to size and everything in between. But after a lot of research online, in shops and talking to friends who have handguns, I kept coming back to the Ruger SR9

So today I walk into a gun store/indoor range and as I am looking at their selection, my eyes immediately see a Ruger SR9. In this particular gun case, it was the only gun that had a stainless slide, every other gun was pure black. So it shined right in my eye.

I held it and loved how it felt my hand and how balanced it felt. He then handed me the SRc and I liked how it felt, but not as much as the SC9. After some small talk he asked me how interested I was and I informed him I was interested, but not married to it. He then informed me the gun was used, but in mint condition - I had no idea it was used, it looked perfect to me.

As I started checking the other guns he says "Earlier you told me you were leaning hard towards the Ruger SR9, so has something changed your mind to make you look at the other guns?" I told him that since it was used, I just wanted to see what else he had to offer because I was nervous about buying a used gun as my first gun.

He took the time to explain his policy on used guns and that he would give me free range time to help me feel more comfortable if I decided to buy it. I asked him if the price was negotiable and he told me to shoot him a price and then I would know.... I said I'd give him $355 and he said SOLD!

I think I got a very good deal and I hope I am happy with my decision.

Thanks to all the shooters here who have helped me along this path. I do appreciate all your tips and knowledge.
Old October 26, 2012, 06:05 PM   #2
jimbob86

Good deal, there!

My brother has the sR9c....nice gun.
Old October 26, 2012, 06:06 PM   #3
g.willikers

Enjoy your new to you pistol.
It's a very good choice.
Most of the guns that I have ever bought were used ones, without any regret.
Including the very first one, come to think.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:23 PM   #4
RBid

Congratulations!

You will enjoy it!
Old October 26, 2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Ichiban

You got a good deal. The trigger on the SR9 takes a while to smooth out so getting a used one puts you a little farther down that road than getting a new one. I really love the ergonomics and slim profile of that gun.
Old October 26, 2012, 10:18 PM   #6
bitttorrrent

That was the one I was going to get as my first gun, but ended up with Baretta instead just because it was on sale.

The new gun will be a used gun after the first shot, so no bother if it still looks new. I have both new and used and really see not difference in the way they shoot.

Have fun.
Old October 26, 2012, 10:42 PM   #7
comn-cents

I like both my sr9 & sr9c I think some of the best out of the box triggers out there. Enjoy your new toy.
Old October 26, 2012, 11:33 PM   #8
Thunder Struck

Thanks guys. I do have a question. The original owner painted red over the front sight white dot. Is there a special paint I need to correct this?
Old October 26, 2012, 11:41 PM   #9
Venom1956

paint thinner.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 27, 2012, 12:07 AM   #10
Thunder Struck

Wonder why I didn't think of paint thinner? Duh!

Why would someone paint that dot red anyway?
Old October 27, 2012, 12:15 AM   #11
MLeake

Because it makes it easier to quickly differentiate it from the white dots on the rear sight.

Same reason some night sights makers offer an option of different color tritium vials for the front sight, than for the vials for the rear.
Old October 27, 2012, 01:03 AM   #12
coolbreezy

congrats man, its an awesome feeling!
S&W highway patrolman 28-2/ Springfield mil spec 1911 (semi custom)/ Sig P220 match elite .45 acp/Kimber micro 9 stainless/ Remington 870 tac14/ Taurus pt22/ S&W 629-1 3" .44 mag/ S&W 629 PC V-Comp/ Beretta M9/ Stevens/Savage 311A 12 ga double bbl/ Magnum research Desert Eagle XIX .44 mag/ S&W 460 xvr/ Glock g40 10mm longslide/ H&K usp compact .45 acp/ Ruger SuperBlackhawk Lipsey Edition/ S&W 686+ 3-5-7 talo edition
Old October 27, 2012, 08:51 AM   #13
Hal

Quote:
Why would someone paint that dot red anyway?
Next to how a trigger "feels", come how sights "appear" in order of importance to the individual shooter.
FWIW - I'm equally comfortable with anyone that cares to reverse that order and put sights ahead of trigger feel.

Since forever, people have been messing with the front sight in search of the "perfect touch".
Sgt. Alvin York liked to wet it, and a lot of target shooters use a match or alcohol lamp to put a coat of black soot on the front sight to cut down on glare.
Still others have put a dab of nail polish on. <--paint thinner won't remove the red if it's nail polish - but - nail polish remover will remove both nail polish and paint.
Still others - such as myself - will put a dab of White Out on the front sight - or - do nothing and leave the sights as is.

Even others will use a fluorescent - as do some gun makers (Browning Buckmark) front sight.

This is an example of one of the things you'll pick up as you become more experienced w/shooting.<- finding out what type of and what color sight is best for you.
In the meantime,,,enjoy your new gun - get someone experienced to show you the basics, sight picture/trigger squeeze - and give serious consideration to reloading.
Reloading isn't some "black art" reserved for well seasoned shooters.
On the contrary, I'm forever thankful that the guy that sold me my first real center fire - as a "newbie" shooter in 1977 (Ruger Blackhawk .38/.357mag) pushed me real hard to get into handloading.
Old October 27, 2012, 10:37 AM   #14
Thunder Struck

Thanks guys. Great information Hal !
Old October 28, 2012, 01:35 AM   #15
Erikbal

Congratulations man! I've got an SR9C and I love it. So far I've got 200 rounds through it and it has been absolutely perfect. Shoots very nice and smooth, and I shot surprisingly accurate with it too, being that I still consider myself a beginner. I really think you'll like it. I was considering making an SR40 my next purchase but decided I want a. 22 first so I have something really cheap to shoot and can shoot indoors. Let us know how you like it! Good luck!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old October 28, 2012, 07:44 AM   #16
ritepath

Congrats on the Ruger, it should serve you well for a first handgun.

I still have my first self defense handgun, a stainless ruger p89 from 1992. I suppose that's one ruger that will always be with me.
Old October 28, 2012, 08:05 AM   #17
BLUETIP

Congrats on your first of many i'm sure!! You will soon find it's a sickness with no cure THERE IS A BRIEF REMISSION WHEN YOU BUY ANOTHER!!
Old October 28, 2012, 06:57 PM   #18
Meditator

Don't be surprised if you buy a SR9C too.
Old October 28, 2012, 07:01 PM   #19
TurkeyOak

Love Rugers. My first was a P89.
Several friends have bought SR9s and love them.
They shoot well.
Old October 28, 2012, 09:31 PM   #20
jimbob86

Quote:
In the meantime,,,enjoy your new gun - get someone experienced to show you the basics, sight picture/trigger squeeze - and give serious consideration to reloading.
Reloading isn't some "black art" reserved for well seasoned shooters.
On the contrary, I'm forever thankful that the guy that sold me my first real center fire - as a "newbie" shooter in 1977 (Ruger Blackhawk .38/.357mag) pushed me real hard to get into handloading.
^This!

My brother handloaded for his sR9c for a year with a Lee handpress kit- shot every Saturday, 200 rounds or so, cleaned, resized, belled and primed the cases on Sunday while watching the Rockies, Broncos, or the Outdoor channel.... and charged/seated bullets on Monday or Tuesday night after work ..... thousands of rounds in a year, on a kit that cost him less than $75, and fit in a shoe box under the couch when he was not using it. He went from being a pistol newb to beating me in informal plate matches.....
Old October 28, 2012, 10:06 PM   #21
bitttorrrent

Painting the sights I guess is one of the things to do.

I showed my Dad my new mk II, he took it and grabbed his white out and slabbed some all over the front sight! I started to say stop, but then figured he knew better than me. It does help because it is a darker blue frame and sights, so really brought it out.

No big deal, I can always take it off, but I won't.

Enjoy your new Ruger.
Old October 29, 2012, 12:06 PM   #22
cetanner

Congrats on your choice. I think you will be happy with the SR9. I own an SR9C in stainless I use for CC. I have fired over 1500 rounds through it without a problem. Fits my hand perfectly and has an excellent trigger.
Old October 29, 2012, 03:39 PM   #23
Fishbed77

Good choice. You'll be very pleased with the SR9. My brother has one that has been 100% reliable. It's also an easy pistol to shoot accuratly, thanks to the nice ergonomics and very good standard sights.