The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 2011, 01:00 AM   #1
oo0juice0oo

AK47 handloads

So about a month ago I picked up my first and only AK47 at a gun show, a Century Arms WASR 10/63. Today I got to take my first shots out of it, and although it is cheap and fun to shoot I am not accurate at all with it and it's iron sights, putting 1 round out of 20 on paper at 100yds (I attribute most of this to my poor eyesight and a serious shaking problem[medication]). Now through experience with my AR handloads (going from 2 MOA to 1/2 MOA accuracy, surplus M855 to handloads) I know the difference that handloading can make for me. But how much more accuracy can I realistically work out of my AK 47? I've got a scope rail for it but have put off deciding how much to spend on a scope and/or red dot for it until I figure out how much accuracy I can get out of this sucker. Any thoughts?
Old December 12, 2011, 01:08 AM   #2
farmerboy

An Ak wouldn't be my first choice for a competition gun for the 100 yards. Especially open sights. Aks are for spraying nag praying really but I'm sure with reloading and practice you can tighten them groups up.
Old December 12, 2011, 04:37 PM   #3
medalguy

I have owned several AK variants, and currently have three. None have ever been very accurate. If you want a weapon accurate out to 300 yards but which will easily jam if a little dirt gets in it, get an AR platform. If you want a reliable weapon that will still function after you drop it in the mud, run over it with a truck, and shake out the mud, but won't hit a beer can at 200 yards use the AK. They are designed for very different purposes.

Like farmerboy said, the AK was designed for poorly trained Russian conscripts and illiterate third world terrorists to use reliably to put lots of rounds in the general direction of the opponent. It's never going to give MOA accuracy.

Besides, forget about reloading for the AK unless you want to spend at least 50 cents for each piece of brass. Remember you can still get brass cased ammo from Widener's for 17 cents a round, then sell the brass for $2 a pound:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...box&groupid=39
Old December 12, 2011, 04:52 PM   #4
chris in va

From personal experience with my Saiga, skip handloading.

First of all you have to find reloadable brass. Then locating suitable 311 sized bullets is a chore, and hunting for your ejected brass just seals it.

Watch a slo-mo video of an AK sometime, you'll understand why the AK isn't know for accuracy.
Old December 13, 2011, 12:57 AM   #5
essohbe

Without some kind of ejection buffer the AK will usually put nice dings and dents in your brass also.
Old December 13, 2011, 07:04 AM   #6
Sport45

Quote:
I attribute most of this to my poor eyesight and a serious shaking problem[medication]).
Until you take care of that it really doesn't matter what you feed the rifle. You won't shoot 1/2" groups that way with an AR either.

Settle the gun down and see what it'll do before you start changing things.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:50 AM   #7
chiefr

I started reloading this cartridge back in the early 80s. Back then, ammo was not available. Most of us had to form our own cases, or if you were lucky, you could find some scarce IMI boxer primed cases. I was fortunate enough to obtain a quantity of IMI brass.
With what little reloading supplies available back then, I was able to develop handloads which gave me respectable groups with both the AKs and SKSs. I am a firm believer in the reloadabilty of this cartridge. One can develop loads that out-perform factory ammo.
Having said all that, AKs and SKSs are not target rifles. Since ammo is everywhere and cheap, I have not reloaded this one in 20 years. There is now plenty of reloading data available and I can only encourage one to go for it.
Old December 13, 2011, 11:26 PM   #8
Fullthrottle

I have only slightly been able to improve my restored Saiga rifle with reloads! Not worth it in my mind...but I do still sometimes tinker!
I can get 4" groups using a 4x POSP with factory Barnul off a bench. My reloads have been 3 1/2- 3" groups, using the same. Wolf brand opens up about 2" larger! That is why I shoot and buy Barnaul only any more!

Again I do tend to tinker and try to find better. Only because it is fun for me though.
Old December 15, 2011, 11:36 PM   #9
jhansman

Expect limited accuracy from your AK. It's a spray and pray gun, not a target rifle. That said, my Saiga will ring the 300 yd. gong at my range 9 out 10 tries with a 4x scope and handloads. I suspect, however, it would do as well with factory ammo.

Tags
accuracy , ak47