The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 5, 2020, 01:32 PM   #1
tahunua001

bubba parts for an Ishapore Enfield

Hello all,
been a while since I posted here. Yesterday a friend asked if I would be interested in his "old gun" since he is liquidating his collection in favor of more AR builds. turns out his "old gun is an Ishapore 2A1 Enfield that has been sporterized by bubba. I had fun showing him pictures of what they are supposed to look like without the ATI stock, and scope rail that looks like it was designed for BB gun scope rings. Well I bought it and now would like to get it ready to do some serious hunting or target shooting.

I was wondering if anyone knew of either 1 of 2 items:
1. a rear mounted peep sight that I can bolt into place where the scope rail currently sits at the receiver bridge

or

2. a weaver or picitini rail that will mount using the already existent D+T holes used by the bubba rail.

Old January 5, 2020, 02:26 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Check the headspace before you do anything.
1. Nope. Peeps need the rear sight removed and that scope base is too far forward for 'em anyway.
2. That'd depend on the distance between the holes. I think that base is mounted backwards anyway. Hard to tell from just a picture, but the old ATI base were like this.
https://www.combathunting.com/ENFIEL...4_Mk1_2_5.html
Old January 5, 2020, 04:01 PM   #3
tahunua001

this is the post war 7.62x51mm version, no need to check head spacing.

I agree that this is not the ideal position for a peep however it is a fair bit better than the ones that replace the rear leaf sight and sit several inches in front of the eye rather than a few.

the receiver bridge sits higher than the receiver so if it was backwards it would sit at a steep angle rather than flat across the top. every mount I've ever seen has 2 holes through the receiver above the chamber and one through the bridge.

the rails in your link are for number 4 rifles. this is essentially a re chambered number 1.
Old January 7, 2020, 12:40 AM   #4
tahunua001

well,
without much input on the matter, and not a lot of options available, I decided to go with a Williams 5d-SMLE peep sight. I am assuming it will require a little inletting of the stock and more D+T of the receiver, but it should hopefully serve well enough for steel out to 200 yards and close range hunting.