The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2020, 09:01 AM   #26
ammo.crafter

polished brass

Vibrating tumbler with walnut media, and....a used dryer sheet will shine up your brass, and it's free.
Old April 6, 2020, 10:32 AM   #27
FITASC

Quote:
I deprime after tumbling and don’t worry about cleaning the primer pockets.
Same here for pistol. Since I do not shot thousands of rifle rounds (no AR in my home), I can clean primer pockets with the RCBS tool for such
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 6, 2020, 11:14 AM   #28
RoyceP

OK I switched from corncob media to crushed walnut shells yesterday. 100 45 ACP cases that were very dirty looked clean but not shiny this morning. A added a dryer sheet and another 100 cases to see if it helps today.
Old April 6, 2020, 11:57 AM   #29
marchboom

I have never noticed that dryer sheets made brass shinier. They just cause the media dust to cling to it and it's easier to remove.

Soak the brass in a Lemishine solution (1/4 teaspoon Lemishine to 1 pint of water) for 45-60 minutes. Dry and then tumble in media. You will notice a dramatic change in the brass appearance within 5 minutes in the solution.
RSO
Old April 6, 2020, 11:58 AM   #30
FITASC

Quote:
OK I switched from corncob media to crushed walnut shells yesterday. 100 45 ACP cases that were very dirty looked clean but not shiny this morning. A added a dryer sheet and another 100 cases to see if it helps today.
What works for me is a half and half mix of walnut and corn cob with either dry red jeweler's rouge or a capful of Nu-finish added as well. Typical run time is about 2-3 hours.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 7, 2020, 07:06 AM   #31
Real Gun

What is the theory in blending walnut and corncob media?
Old April 7, 2020, 07:49 AM   #32
RaySendero

Quote:
Real Gun asked:
I'd be interested in this, too.

I still de-prime and vibrate with corncob and polisher.
Have been for years.
Old April 7, 2020, 08:11 AM   #33
marchboom

Using walnut media vs. corn cob media provides for much more action in the bowl of a vibratory brass cleaner. When I used corn cob to remove the sizing lube from cases the cases moved VERY slowly and took about 1 hr to clean off the lube. And then there was still media stuck to the remaining lube in the case necks. Using walnut media it only took about 20-30 minutes and the necks were clean. So walnut is the only media I use for cleaning and lube removal.

This is what I use: Zilla Ground English Walnut Shells Desert Blend (from Amazon)
RSO
Old April 7, 2020, 09:06 AM   #34
RoyceP

I put a box of 100 45 ACP cases that were filthy in last night with this mixture. This morning I went out and they look nice and clean and shiny. From what I can tell the walnut shell media is slower than corn cob but it does a good job overnight. The dryer sheet is almost dissolved. It would not be there after another 8 hours.

Quote ammo crafter "Vibrating tumbler with walnut media, and....a used dryer sheet will shine up your brass, and it's free. " End Quote
Old April 7, 2020, 10:12 AM   #35
FITASC

Quote:
One is better at cleaning while the other seems to be better at polishing
Old April 9, 2020, 04:20 PM   #36
Average Joe

I use car wash&wax, with critic acid. The only shells that come out pinkish, are the brass coated steel, those I just toss...
Old April 10, 2020, 07:43 AM   #37
Real Gun

Quote:
Quote:
One is better at cleaning while the other seems to be better at polishing
Agree, but I do those in separate runs, not a blend. Interesting. If it isn't too gunked up, I get great results with walnut and a blend of car polish and mineral spirits. Shortens run time dramatically. I am on my third tumbler, so avoiding burning up a motor is a priority.