The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 30, 2019, 04:32 PM   #251
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
???

Which 1911 forums are you referring to? The one I mostly spend my 1911-related time on certainly isn't "carrying NRA water." There are several "1911 forums." If you're going to criticize one (or two, or three) of them, please be specific rather than tarring all with the same brush.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=998828
Thank you. That is only one forum. There are other internet forum sites dedicated to the 1911 or oriented primarily toward the 1911.
Jeepaholic
Old August 30, 2019, 04:55 PM   #252
Mainah

Quote:
I see this as game over for the NRA. They may or may not exist in the future as a gun rights organization but their previous power is gone forever.
That's a possibility but not a certainty. When ProPublica has your internal emails you're definitely in trouble. The NRA still has time to replace their leadership and devote plenty of energy to actually paying attention to the sentiments expressed in this thread. If they continue to circle the wagons then you're right.

I've been fed up with their scare tactics for almost thirty years. I don't own guns because I want to feel like a victim.
Old September 9, 2019, 06:31 PM   #253
Bartholomew Roberts

NRA-ILA hires new counsel, who has no experience as a lobbyist, worked in the video game industry, and is being sued by his former employer for embezzlement.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/nr...ts-of-baggage/
Old September 9, 2019, 06:42 PM   #254
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I don't think the job of lead counsel, even for a lobbying organization, should be lobbying. The role of the lead counsel is to provide legal advice and to keep the organization on the straight and narrow path, and out of legal entanglements. That said, hiring as lead counsel someone who is being sued for embezzlement seems a rather peculiar and stupid move for an organization that's already under investigation by multiple entities.
Jeepaholic
Old September 10, 2019, 11:42 AM   #255
MTT TL

Quote:
That said, hiring as lead counsel someone who is being sued for embezzlement seems a rather peculiar and stupid move for an organization that's already under investigation by multiple entities.
You are thinking about that the wrong way.

If you are corrupt you don't want hire someone who has anything less than pliable ethics. An honest person could sink your ship.
Old September 10, 2019, 02:37 PM   #256
JERRYS.

I think I read that the NRA is suing San Francisco over them labeling the terrorist brand on them.
Old September 10, 2019, 04:56 PM   #257
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT TL
You are thinking about that the wrong way.

If you are corrupt you don't want hire someone who has anything less than pliable ethics. An honest person could sink your ship.
True.

Excuse me while I banish myself to my room without supper for thinking even for a moment that the NRA might have a shred of ethics remaining.
Jeepaholic
Old September 15, 2019, 05:54 PM   #258
Bartholomew Roberts

Latest report from NRA Board meeting:
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/th...in-a-nutshell/

Another report:
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/1-...oard-meetings/

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; September 15, 2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old September 15, 2019, 07:37 PM   #259
pblanc

I get the sense that any directors that have not kissed the ring of LaPierre have been forced out. Those that remain are determined to sing his praises and pat themselves on the back for the wonderful job they are all doing instead of even thinking about addressing the very serious allegations of impropriety that have arisen.

Not only do they seem to be circling the wagons, it seems they have adopted a "if your not with us you're against us" mentality.

It also seems to me that LaPierre is more than willing to take the entire N.R.A. down with him.

I do not want to see the N.R.A. disappear, but I think only a dramatic decrease in new memberships, membership renewals, and contributions will force any change in thinking on the board or LaPierre and maybe not even that will.
Old September 15, 2019, 09:12 PM   #260
zxcvbob

A criminal indictment (embezzlement, etc) might be the best thing that could happen to the NRA right now; they can't ignore that.

I also hope the Dell'Aquila lawsuit gets their attention.
Old September 15, 2019, 09:19 PM   #261
JWT

"Excuse me while I banish myself to my room without supper for thinking even for a moment that the NRA might have a shred of ethics remaining"

Aquila Blanca: You hit the nail on the head sir.

LaPierre has zero ethics and no concern for the NRA only for himself and his massive ego. It is unfortunate that the organization is being splintered at a time when it is really needed to counter the increasing anti gun sentiment in the country.
Old September 15, 2019, 09:41 PM   #262
zxcvbob

Quote:
I do not want to see the N.R.A. disappear, but I think only a dramatic decrease in new memberships, membership renewals, and contributions will force any change in thinking on the board or LaPierre and maybe not even that will.
I think it's too late for that. For example, in the biblical story of The Exodus, Pharaoh only had a choice in the matter for the first few plagues. (5, I think) After that, his "heart was hardened" and the rest of the plagues had run their course, at great cost to him and everyone around him.
Old September 17, 2019, 03:44 AM   #263
JERRYS.

it doesn't appear that WLP is going anywhere now. he's been cleaning house in his view and feels the NRA is better than ever internally.
Old September 17, 2019, 08:43 AM   #264
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
it doesn't appear that WLP is going anywhere now. he's been cleaning house in his view and feels the NRA is better than ever internally.
WLP needs to get out more..maybe internally to his liking but externally, they are pretty gooned up.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old September 17, 2019, 04:36 PM   #265
pblanc

I think that WLP and the current NRA have a major problem on their hands and are in denial.

But yes, WLP and the board seem determined to try to ride this out and hope that it blows over.

I know a good number of NRA members for whom this has been the last straw, however.
Old September 17, 2019, 05:53 PM   #266
Mainah

Money talks and bull... walks.
Old September 18, 2019, 05:20 AM   #267
Tony Z

One has to wonder if the organization has been infiltrated through the years, with "trojan horse" directors, propagating the direction WLP has taken?

Troubling to me, is the sparse lip service, addressing current problems. Are the ears of the NRA that deaf and the eyes that blind? For me, as I've already stated, I'm through and would like the dues I've paid for many years into the future, refunded.
Old September 18, 2019, 10:37 AM   #268
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Z
Troubling to me, is the sparse lip service, addressing current problems. Are the ears of the NRA that deaf and the eyes that blind? For me, as I've already stated, I'm through and would like the dues I've paid for many years into the future, refunded.
I have no way of knowing if any of the remaining NRA board members monitor the "gun" forums but my guess is that they don't. If they do, they're clearly not paying attention, but they may believe that the people posting treasonous thoughts such as yours constitute a small minority of the membership.

The NRA members I know personally have all stopped making any financial contributions to the NRA, but my circle of NRA personal acquaintances is very small. Given that there is at least a kernel of truth in the old adage that "The squeaky wheel gets the grease," I think we need to do more than just keep our wallets and checkbooks closed to the NRA. We also need to write to the board members and tell them point-blank that the NRA won't get another dime until Wayne LaPierre, the Brewer law firm, and LaPierre's cadre of sycophants is gone.
Jeepaholic
Old September 18, 2019, 10:54 AM   #269
Bottom Gun

I sent an email to the NRA voicing my concerns and stating my disapproval but have yet to receive any response or even an acknowledgement of my contact.
I later repeated my thoughts to the lady who called me to offer discounted upgrades to my life membership. She promised to forward them to the NRA BOD.
At least I haven't received any more calls begging for more money since then.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old September 18, 2019, 06:44 PM   #270
Tony Z

I agree with Aquila's post, and tomorrow will compose a letter, to be sent via snail email, as well as a copy via email, if I can locate a valid email address.

My circle of NRA members is also not that large, but to a "T" are aware of and questioning what is going on. These are not politically astute individuals, but middle class people, not generally prone to respond to an ocassional rumor. The problem is far deeper than many are yet to acknowledge.
Old September 18, 2019, 06:53 PM   #271
bbqncigars

I've been done with the NRA for a few years now. Life member and regretting every dime I sent their way. WLP needs to be charged and convicted of his crimes, but I'm sure he will retire in luxury paid for by NRA members.
Old September 18, 2019, 07:26 PM   #272
L2R

My gun club monthly letter just arrived in my email box today.
As always, they 'strongly' suggest everyone join the NRA or keep their membership active.

Their loyalty is so strong, I don't even bother to ask what their thinking is.
No doubt I would be kicked out for asking as they confiscate my pass key.

Just a couple of years ago, it was being discussed that being an NRA member should be a requirement to being a member at the club. Thankfully it did fade as I would have had to debate how they feel justified telling me how I spend my personal income.

I can't help but wonder if this is an anomaly or if there a still thousands of people out there still blindly sending their money either out of ignorance or because it's the only option. ( this is a club of 1500 and that's not chump change if they are all paying)

Lots of nice folks. We have a common bond but it has one thread.
Old September 18, 2019, 08:38 PM   #273
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The point where I'll be forced to sacrifice my principles on the altar of practicality is when my instructor certification comes up for renewal. My state requires the NRA Basic Pistol class as a prerequisite for carry permits, so if I want to teach permit classes I have to maintain my certification. Fortunately, my renewal won't come up for awhile, and maybe the mess will have been resolved by that time.
Jeepaholic
Old September 20, 2019, 04:24 PM   #274
Bartholomew Roberts

Eh, all the people I encouraged to join NRA or gifted memberships to dropped out after the bumpstock statement. I gave the NRA a “no more money while WLP leads” ultimatum then. I copied every board member as well.

Not a single response that wasn’t automated.
Old September 20, 2019, 05:14 PM   #275
MTT TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
The point where I'll be forced to sacrifice my principles on the altar of practicality is when my instructor certification comes up for renewal. My state requires the NRA Basic Pistol class as a prerequisite for carry permits, so if I want to teach permit classes I have to maintain my certification. Fortunately, my renewal won't come up for awhile, and maybe the mess will have been resolved by that time.
Does it have to be NRA? There are others out there.