The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 25, 2007, 09:50 PM   #1
456-SGT

Looking for a tactical light - HK USP .45

I've recently picked up a USP .45 variant 1 (full size). I would like to mount a light on it but am unsure of what type of light rail is on this gun. Are HK rails unique? It looks like a standard / Glock type rail, but my Streamlight TLR-1 will not fit, not even close.

Can someone recommend a good light for this weapon they have personal experience with?

Thank you
Old December 26, 2007, 03:04 AM   #2
IZinterrogator

Don't have personal experience with these, but they come from a reputable company that have put out other products that I have found to work well.

http://www.insightlights.com/products-m2utl.htm

They also sell adaptor rails to convert a USP rail to a universal rail. The website says it will work with your TLR-1.

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=75&parents=56,57
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old December 27, 2007, 05:14 AM   #3
mososodbob

About 6 years ago, I used a HK USP 45 for duty while working uniform patrol. HK rails are unique. They use their proprietary lights. I purchased the GG&G rail adaptor for use with the Streamlight M6.

The adaptor works great, but once mounted, it will not fit any duty holster readily available from the main-stream manufacturers (at that time). That was one of the reasons I went back to my 1911. Also, Safariland came out with a level 3 holster for the 1911 with a dedicated tac-light.

If your holster requirement is not as narrow as mine, you can go with the GG&G adapter...they work.
Old December 27, 2007, 10:27 AM   #4
PPGMD

I use a Surefire X200B on my USP 45. I use the Surefire rail to put it on, but I hear that the GG&G rail works just fine also.

Here is a picture with the gun and the light:

And Gun light and holster if you are looking for one:

The holster is a Blade-tech, I called them up, told them what I needed. And they made it for me.

But if I needed a duty holster, I would likely pick up a Glock, Sig, or 1911 since holsters for the gun and light combinations are more common for those brands then Hk USP as of late.
Old December 29, 2007, 02:47 AM   #5
FirstFreedom

Man I hate proprietary sized rails/parts on guns. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? Good luck, though.
Old December 29, 2007, 10:17 AM   #6
PPGMD

The USP was the first production pistol with a rail on it, so at the time there was no spec, Hk just refined the rail that they put on the Mk23.

The industry went another way, which is why all newer Hk pistols have the standard rail on them.
Old December 30, 2007, 01:18 AM   #7
456-SGT

Good info and links. Thanks for hooking me up, I knew that I was not completely informed on the H&K rail to begin with. Now have a clear understanding of what I need for my new Home-D gun.

Thanks!
Old January 3, 2008, 02:18 PM   #8
jmorrell

There is an HK branded Universal Tactical Light designed for specifically for the USP pistols (I have one on my USP 9mm). Check out the link below: the light is about about half way down the page. I believe that Streamlight also makes an M2 light that fits the USP.

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_s...e/html/hk.html