The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 28, 2018, 09:41 PM   #1
Safaripolice

Want to build a custom bolt Action Carcano

I understand I can can use many other 6.5 calibers and other rounds but I have a fascination with the carcano and love reloading it in my couple surplus. I've also hunted with my 91/41 and 91/38. I'm tired of carrying the older guns and i want to use a scope. I also want a modern looking bolt action in either Mauser or 700 or Winchester/browning action.

Does anyone know where I can get one built ornanynsuggestion on how to build one other then sporterize. I have no interests in sporterized Carcanos but instead a true custom barrel 6.5 carcano on a modern action with a modern stock.

Any help would be appreciated.

Godspeed
Sal
Old September 28, 2018, 09:54 PM   #2
Safaripolice

Just want to add that somewhere down my family tree we have a relative related to Salvatore Carcano so to be honest that is a very strong motivator as to why I want to build this. Sentimental reasons. Any help appreciated
Sal
Old September 28, 2018, 10:29 PM   #3
Dufus

You can buy actions at several places and barrel manufacturers are abundant.

Some custom actions are upwards of $1000-$1600.

Budget priced ones are all over.

Start with Pacific Tool and Gauge and go from there.
Old September 28, 2018, 10:55 PM   #4
Safaripolice

Thanks for the start. I was literally in the dark here. I'm glad I have somewhere to begin
Old October 4, 2018, 01:43 AM   #5
dakota.potts

I might consider the Montana 1999 action, which is sort of a Mauser/Model 70 hybrid. If you are planning to do the work yourself, they are incredibly simple to barrel - just cut the threaded tenon. There is no counterbore, breech cone, extractor cut, etc.

The case head diameter is a little smaller than the typical .308/.30-06 family of cartridges. I don't know if they will work reliably or require bushing for proper function. I think Remington 700 bolts are easy if bushing is required (having done this before for 6.8 SPC based cartridges) but then there's the problem of the extractor which usually requires cutting the bolt for an M16/Sako extractor.

Assuming that you want a blind-magazine fed rifle, you may need to make some modifications and adjustments for proper feeding.

The bore diameter on 6.5 Carcano is a little different than a standard 6.5mm in use today. Looks like the specifications make it a difference of almost ,1mm (about .0035). It sounds to me like maybe the better option if you're reloading is to use a standard 6.5mm barrel blank and hand-load modern 6.5mm bullets? Definitely a specialty project either way. Your other option would be to try to look for a 6.5mm barrel blank that has a .266-.268 groove diameter for shooting original bullets in it. Maybe you could try to find a take-off original barrel that has enough meat left at the breech to cut off the chamber and re-machine to your rifle.

Once you have the barrel blank, you'll need a reamer and a set of headspace gages to machine the barrel to your rifle. If you're having a gunsmith do it, you're likely to have to pay for these because they're very non-standard calibers to have and it's not likely the gunsmith will be able to justify buying them.

Those are just the things that come to mind for me. If your nostalgia for the cartridge is worth justifying all this additional work and cost, it would be an interesting project to see completed. But not a cheap one - I believe it would be well into the thousands (with an "s") dollars range.
Old October 4, 2018, 06:17 AM   #6
Geezerbiker

Why the Carcano? The brass is hard to get and as already covered it takes an odd sized bullet...

Tony
Old October 4, 2018, 06:43 AM   #7
Mobuck

Just my opinion: The 6.5 Carcano cartridge is not much different than several others of that era and most likely considerably inferior to the proven performance of something like the 6.5x55.
The Carcano platform may possibly be the worst choice (or at best one of the front runners for worst choice) for a "custom build".
As far as preserving family history goes, just find a decent mil-surp specimen, polish it up, and put on display.
Old October 4, 2018, 09:15 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've often thought I'd like to do the exact same thing with the 6.5x50 Japanese Arisaka cartridge.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 4, 2018, 11:41 AM   #9
COSteve

Read the OP's second post.
He's related to Carcano.
So he wants a Carcano rifle even though there might be better choices.
Old October 4, 2018, 12:36 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...wants a Carcano rifle..." Sal wants a regular hunting rifle chambered in 6.5 x 52 Carcano. We've been spending his money on it elsewhere. snicker.
The only issue is the .264" bullet vs the milsurp .268". Solved by the thing being commercial and there being lots of commercial reloading kit for the .264" bullets.
It's a 200 yard deer cartridge using Norma factory ammo. Drives a 120 to 150 grain bullet at about 2400 FPS MV with 2043 ft. lbs. of ME. Does about 1996 FPS and 1062 ft. lbs. at 200 yards.
Old October 5, 2018, 01:20 AM   #11
Safaripolice

Thank TO Heir and COSTEVE for understanding and Defending my wishes.

And geezerbeeker and mobuck. Yes there are better and easier to build cartridges and the better cartridges mean nothing to me and again I have many beautiful mil surp Carcanos on display. I'm related to the long deceased salvatore carcano and I've wanted a custom rifle In his cartridge for many years. It's really not about money or convenience but about living once and Doing what I want. Life's to short! Learned that after years in LE. Thanks to SCORCH on here and we're in the process of designing one on a model 7 OR 700 action with custom bolt face work. It's going to be a 6 month process but I have hope and a plan so I'm happy and I thank everyone here on firingline and I'm excited to hunt with my custom carcano.
Thanks for everyone's help
Godspeed
Sal
Old October 5, 2018, 01:21 AM   #12
Safaripolice

Quote:
Originally Posted by COSteve View Post
Read the OP's second post.
He's related to Carcano.
So he wants a Carcano rifle even though there might be better choices.
Thanks COSTEVE
Old October 5, 2018, 01:24 AM   #13
Safaripolice

TO Heir thanks again for Defending my wishes. I made it clear in My post that I know there are better 6.5 cartridges and I'm only interested in the carcano. Everyone has an opinion and maybe they didnt read about my relation to salvatore carcano and my sentimental meaning to the cartridge of the fact I stated I didnt want another 6.5 whatsoever. Thanks again and much appreciated
Old October 5, 2018, 01:25 AM   #14
Safaripolice

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"...wants a Carcano rifle..." Sal wants a regular hunting rifle chambered in 6.5 x 52 Carcano. We've been spending his money on it elsewhere. snicker.
The only issue is the .264" bullet vs the milsurp .268". Solved by the thing being commercial and there being lots of commercial reloading kit for the .264" bullets.
It's a 200 yard deer cartridge using Norma factory ammo. Drives a 120 to 150 grain bullet at about 2400 FPS MV with 2043 ft. lbs. of ME. Does about 1996 FPS and 1062 ft. lbs. at 200 yards.
TO Heir thanks again for Defending my wishes. I made it clear in My post that I know there are better 6.5 cartridges and I'm only interested in the carcano. Everyone has an opinion and maybe they didnt read about my relation to salvatore carcano and my sentimental meaning to the cartridge of the fact I stated I didnt want another 6.5 whatsoever. Thanks again and much appreciated
Old October 5, 2018, 07:59 AM   #15
Geezerbiker

I do understand. Sometimes an itch just has to be scratched. I've always wanted a rifle in .33 WCF but I'll most likely not scratch that itch...

Tony
Old October 5, 2018, 02:41 PM   #16
stagpanther

I don't have a caracano gun--but I do have a representative cartridge of the one that took out Kennedy--it's right up there near the top with other "most peculiar designs." Why not?
Old October 5, 2018, 03:59 PM   #17
Paul B.

I have a rather rough 6.5 Greek Mannlicher action that's been laying around my shed for a few years. Just the action and no barrel. It was in 6.5x54MM. Now that ammo is relatively available I gave thought to getting it done. Cleaning up the action, a barrel and chambering plus making a stock for it and it's pushing very close to the $4.5K area. Years ago, I had a 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenaur in 6.5x54 that some low life liberated from my truck in Elko Nevada back in 1975. I never could find a decent replacement.

I hope you realize your dream rifle. After all, it's only money.
Paul B.
Old October 6, 2018, 03:46 PM   #18
Geezerbiker

I've been watching Forgotten Weapons on Amazon Prime and the guy had a lot of nice things to say about the Carcano rifles. It's worth watching if you haven't seen it yet...

Tony
Old October 6, 2018, 06:14 PM   #19
Scorch

Paul B-
If you are interested in selling that Greek barreled action, I'm interested.
Old October 7, 2018, 03:59 PM   #20
RC20

Quote:
Why the Carcano? The brass is hard to get and as already covered it takes an odd sized bullet...
Read the OPs post, he explained it
Old October 7, 2018, 04:08 PM   #21
RC20

My take on this is you would have to give up your desire of action type.

Now this is generic as I have not looked into the 6.5 Carano for what is specifically needed.

The lowest cost would be to go with a Savage action. You simply buy a Savage on sale (in the right action length) and then take its barrel off and put on a Carcano barrel.

If you are into doing it yourself its about $100 for the tools, if not a gun smith can do it at very low cost as there is no more work involved than take off the original barrel and putting on the new.

I did that with a 7.5 x 55 Swiss. In my case action length was snot a problem but the head of the case is not anything current. So I got a 270 and opened up the bolt face with a grinder.

Feed can be an issue but I just made mine a single shot by filling in the magazine well and it works just fine.

Remington can have that done but getting the original barrel off need more tools.

Someone like Shilen can be queries about that chambering, would have to sleuth for others but they are open to a request (they don't make one). Its just a chamber aspect and they do have a wide variety of 6.5 in the other old choices so its not all that wild.

Some barrel makes will go it if you supply the reamer.
Old October 8, 2018, 06:59 PM   #22
gw44

All I can say is good luck if you choose to go down that road !!!
Old October 10, 2018, 07:56 AM   #23
jaysouth

Is there anyone out there who could rebore a .243 to 6.5? If there was such a smith, it would sure save a lot of money over buying an action and fitting a barrel to it. Going down that path would add $300 or so to the cost of a new rifle in .223/.243, IF there was someone who could/would do it.

Does anyone make a chamber reamer for 6.5 Carcano?
Old October 10, 2018, 08:27 AM   #24
stagpanther

I'm guessing the cheaper route would be to buy a .264 bore blank and then have someone cut the chamber for you.
Old October 10, 2018, 04:06 PM   #25
Scorch

Quote:
Is there anyone out there who could rebore a .243 to 6.5? If there was such a smith, it would sure save a lot of money over buying an action and fitting a barrel to it.
Just FYI, reboring a rifle barrel costs as much as a new barrel. It's a lot of work, and very few people do it anymore unless they want to preserve the original barrel for whatever reason.
Quote:
Does anyone make a chamber reamer for 6.5 Carcano?
Sure, just about any of the reamer manufacturers.
Quote:
The lowest cost would be to go with a Savage action. You simply buy a Savage on sale (in the right action length) and then take its barrel off and put on a Carcano barrel.
No, the lowest cost does not involve a Savage action. And it is a little more involved than just screwing in a new barrel.
Quote:
I'm guessing the cheaper route would be to buy a .264 bore blank and then have someone cut the chamber for you.
Exactly.
Quote:
All I can say is good luck if you choose to go down that road !!!
Luck has nothing to do with it.

You guys are trying to make this sound difficult. It's not! People chamber rounds with different head sizes all the time. 6.8 SPC, 22 or 6mm PPC, 22 WalDog, 6.5 Grendel, 376 Steyr, 378 Weatherby, etc. Did a 98 in 7.5X55 Swiss about 2 years ago, case head size in .490". Built a 6.5X54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer on a Rem 700, head size in .450". I do this stuff for a living, you guys just play with them. Trying to say it can't be done just annoys those of us who do it.

Last edited by Scorch; October 10, 2018 at 04:15 PM.