The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 23, 2019, 06:54 AM   #1
OhioGuy

Considering a pocket revolver -- but do they actually fit in pockets???

I've tried two small .380 pocket pistols. One S&W, one Beretta. I found both to be very hard to shoot well, and even harder to draw reliably. I initially carried IWB but after fumbling too many practice draws, figured they were indeed better suited to pockets. They fit pretty well, and in wallet-style holsters don't print like guns at all in kahkis or suit pants. But both also had semi-occasional feeding issues, etc. I've never had full confidence in them, nor in my ability to deploy them when it counts.

(By contrast, I've had numerous 9mm semi-autos of various sizes, and I think I've had a total of 1 malfunction across multiple guns and many thousands of rounds)

For deep concealment, I love the idea of a revolver. I'm especially drawn toward the Smith 442 and the Ruger LCR. I'd consider something from Charter or Taurus. But when I actually handle them, the smallest of the bunch are still pretty big and I can't see actually pocket carrying them in the kinds of pants I wear -- suit, khakis, etc. I mean they're small, but not .380 small. They're roughly the size of my Walther PPS, but thicker due to the cylinder, so it seems I may as well pocket carry the Walther.

I guess what I'm really after is something that can be concealed deep in clothes where IWB isn't very feasible. I've used tuckable holsters, belly bands, etc. but I basically have to undress to reach the dang gun -- hence pocket carry.

Any other scenario in which my shirt can be untucked, and I'll stick to one of my semi-autos in 9mm IWB.

Anyways, to the revolver fans out there -- what about a small, lightweight revolver could make it better suited to my needs? If I could effectively conceal one in a dress pants pocket -- or some other method that's easily accessible -- it would replace a .380 pocket-rocket in a heartbeat. I just don't have faith in those tiny auto pistols.

Thanks!
Old July 23, 2019, 07:02 AM   #2
2damnold4this

I carry a S&W 342 in a pocket holster. It would be the same size as a 442 but weighs a little less. People can tell I have something in my pocket but it doesn't scream revolver. Here is a comparison of pocket revolvers and pocket pistols:

https://youtu.be/GKcQUZYA_go

This is a rather long video but also has some good information on snubbies:

https://youtu.be/Ov3H-_WQwAI
Old July 23, 2019, 07:12 AM   #3
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post

For deep concealment, I love the idea of a revolver.
I guess what I'm really after is something that can be concealed deep in clothes where IWB isn't very feasible. I've used tuckable holsters, belly bands, etc. but I basically have to undress to reach the dang gun -- hence pocket carry.

Anyways, to the revolver fans out there -- what about a small, lightweight revolver could make it better suited to my needs? If I could effectively conceal one in a dress pants pocket -- or some other method that's easily accessible -- it would replace a .380 pocket-rocket in a heartbeat. I just don't have faith in those tiny auto pistols.

Thanks!
I have this, with "Clip-Draw'....deep in pocket wth just clip showing..Taurus M380
Attached Images
File Type: jpg copy 2.jpg (66.2 KB, 306 views)

"Tools not Trophies”
Old July 23, 2019, 07:18 AM   #4
Targa

That is a nice looking little Taurus, I like it.
Old July 23, 2019, 08:46 AM   #5
TrueBlue711

Personally, I would make sure the revolver has a covered hammer. They look silly, but that hammer won't be snagging on any clothing as you draw it out.
Old July 23, 2019, 09:02 AM   #6
Doyle

I used to have a S&W 442. Nice, light little revolver with no exposed hammer to snag. That would fit your requirements nicely.

However, before you give up on pocket pistols you should try a Ruger LC9s (or even the LCP). I carry both (although my LC9s gets carried more on an OWB holster than in the pocket). While a pocket revolver may be as light as an autoloader, there is no getting around that big cylinder bulge.
Old July 23, 2019, 10:24 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Why do you think that a "pocket revolver" is intended to go in a pants pocket??

Ok, sure, that's what you want, I don't know your style of dress, but I think only an NAA Mini-revolver would be concealable in dress pants.

Now, in a jacket pocket, its a whole different game.

Any 2" Colt, Ruger or S&W ought to drop right in your coat pocket and be right at home. And, if it doesn,t you don't need another gun, you need another coat!
Old July 23, 2019, 11:04 AM   #8
OhioGuy

That Taurus is chambered in .380 ACP? It never occurred to me to even ask if it existed. How much smaller is the gun than a comparable .38spl?
Old July 23, 2019, 11:06 AM   #9
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Why do you think that a "pocket revolver" is intended to go in a pants pocket??

Ok, sure, that's what you want, I don't know your style of dress, but I think only an NAA Mini-revolver would be concealable in dress pants.

Now, in a jacket pocket, its a whole different game.

Any 2" Colt, Ruger or S&W ought to drop right in your coat pocket and be right at home. And, if it doesn,t you don't need another gun, you need another coat!
Ok so dumb question, but what do you do with your revolver when you get inside and have to take off your coat? I know some people really like sticky style holsters because they can carry in a coat pocket, then head to a bathroom and move the gun to their pants pocket or IWB so they can hang up their coat. I like the idea of something being accessible in a coat pocket or otherwise my gun is buried under several layers and I've got gloves on...becomes a paperweight if I need it fast!
Old July 23, 2019, 11:08 AM   #10
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2damnold4this View Post
I carry a S&W 342 in a pocket holster. It would be the same size as a 442 but weighs a little less. People can tell I have something in my pocket but it doesn't scream revolver. Here is a comparison of pocket revolvers and pocket pistols:

https://youtu.be/GKcQUZYA_go

This is a rather long video but also has some good information on snubbies:

https://youtu.be/Ov3H-_WQwAI
I'll have to pass on that three and a half hour video, but the one from Lucky Gunner was super informative. it never occurred to me how the shape of the grip was different on a revolver and allowed for deeper concealment. I have tried to conceal my PPS deep in something like a smartcarry holster, but so little grip sticks out above my belt that is almost impossible for me to actually get a handle on it. It looks like you can bury the revolver down out of the beltline and still have a hook-shaped grip to get ahold of.
Old July 23, 2019, 11:32 AM   #11
gbclarkson

I used to pocket carry a .38 LCR using a DeSantis pocket holster during jacket weather in a jacket pocket. I could never get that combo to fit comfortably into shorts cargo pockets during the summer. Whenever I would arrive at a destination in which I would not be allowed to or did not want to continue carrying in the jacket pocket, i.e. a relative's with kids around, I would leave it locked in the car or discretely unload it and separate the ammo from the revolver.
Old July 23, 2019, 11:49 AM   #12
reteach

I carry an LCRX .327 in my pants pocket a lot. It's in a simple Sticky holster and I wear khaki pants or shorts. Yes, it's bulky. But most other people just don't notice. Even my wife and daughter don't notice when I'm carrying. I just make sure when I buy the pants that the pockets are deep enough. I, too, have found that the revolver grip is easier to grasp from the pocket than, say, my Glock 42.

In Texas we don't have to bother with jackets for about 93% of the year, so I don't try carrying in a jacket pocket. When I do wear a jacket, I take it off inside and I don't want to have to shuffle the gun around or leave it in the jacket that might be draped over a chair or something. So pants pocket carry is it for me most of the time.

I think the main thing is, most people aren't going to notice. We who are carrying think about it, but everyone else has their mind on something else.

And the LCRX or LCR in .32 is a great carry revolver. You get an extra round over .38 or .357 and you can choose from .32 Long, .32 H&R and .327 Fed. With .32 H&R you get a light-weight, easy-to-shoot snub.
Old July 23, 2019, 12:53 PM   #13
2damnold4this

Quote:
I'll have to pass on that three and a half hour video,

Fair enough. If you do change your mind, fast forward to abut 28 minutes then watch about an hour and you'll get most of the good stuff in the video.
Old July 23, 2019, 01:00 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

Your pocket is a very bad place to carry any firearm. Pocket's are magnets for every kind of crappola possible. And a revolver has far more edges to catch on your pants than any pistol.
The term "pocket revolver" is a 19th Century marketing term.
Old July 23, 2019, 01:12 PM   #15
74A95

Quote:
That Taurus is chambered in .380 ACP? It never occurred to me to even ask if it existed. How much smaller is the gun than a comparable .38spl?
They are slightly shorter than a J-Frame.
Old July 23, 2019, 01:22 PM   #16
pete2

I carry a 642 in my pocket with or without a pocket holster. It doesn't really print like a gun either way. It might eventually print in jeans pockets without the holster, don't know. I usually have cargo pans on. It beats on my leg if in the cargo pocket but works well in the front pocket and I can draw it, can't draw my LC9 out of most pockets.
Old July 23, 2019, 01:30 PM   #17
Master Blaster

How big are your pockets?

If they are skinny jeans forget it If they are Robins 5.11 or cargo pants of even chinos they will fit fine.
You need to test the pockets of pants before you buy them big and deep good, tight and shallow no good.
Old July 23, 2019, 01:44 PM   #18
Bill DeShivs

Taurus was on the right track with their .380 revolver, but it's still too big for CONVENIENT pocket carry.
If a major manufacturer built a revolver actually scaled to the size of the .32 acp cartridge, they could sell a lot of them.
Unfortunately, there is no revolver between the NAA stuff and the Taurus.
Old July 23, 2019, 01:45 PM   #19
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
How big are your pockets?

If they are skinny jeans forget it If they are Robins 5.11 or cargo pants of even chinos they will fit fine.
You need to test the pockets of pants before you buy them big and deep good, tight and shallow no good.
Typically I only consider pocket carry if I can't tuck in my shirt. My shirts cover my Walther PPS appendix, no problem. So the only relevant pants really are khakis or dress pants. My Pico with a holster fits ok in either so long as I'm careful that the back of the grip isn't visible, since dress pockets typically open vertically as slits and something bulky can cause them to open slightly and expose what's in there.

I've tried deep AIWB concealment in a pouch style belly band, and it's doable but it's too hard to grip the weapon most of the time. The lucky Gunner video showed this perfectly, but the revolver grip was much easier to get hold of.
Old July 24, 2019, 07:43 AM   #20
USNRet93

Quote:
I owned a 642 and it's a little shorter than that BUT, it's also lighter with a 'slimmer' cylinder..since its a 5 shot .380..also DAO..no no 'hammer' to be snagged.

Reason I sold the 642 was that is was NO FUN to shoot..the M380 is a breeze..fun, reliable and accurate little snubby...I use G9 defense ammo, very effective.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old July 24, 2019, 12:33 PM   #21
Bill DeShivs

The 642 IS a 5 shot, and the .380 is practically the same diameter as .38 Spl. so the cylinder should be the same size as the Taurus .380.
Old July 24, 2019, 01:29 PM   #22
labnoti

A holster is nothing but a pocket suitable for a handgun. Pockets suitable for handguns are widely accepted as the best place to carry them. Only a few people carry their handgun outside a pocket, and fewer think it's an advisable practice.

To carry a handgun in a pocket that was not originally made for handguns, we need to upgrade it. For example, a lot of pockets are made with fabric. We can upgrade them to carry a gun by lining them with properly-stitched leather or bonded kydex. A lot of holster makers produce "drop-in" "pocket holsters." However, one-size does not fit all. If the holster is too small for the pocket, the gun and holster will tumble around in there and not maintain a consistent orientation for drawing. If the pocket doesn't hold the holster securely, the gun is likely to be drawn with the holster still on it. This can be fixed by cutting a pocket holster for the pocket, or sewing the pocket around the holster to hold the holster firmly.

Revolvers that fit nicely in pockets are a 3 1/2" Model 27, a 3" 686+, a Model 19 Carry Comp, or a Colt King Cobra.

The J frames and LCR will be exactly like your experience with the 380 miniature pistols. They will be hard to shoot well and only practically suited to marginally effective cartridges, further diminished by poor ballistics from the short barrel. Get a revolver about 35 ounces or more with a barrel at least 3". It will fit pockets just fine unless you wear those hot-pants hipster skinny jeans and a man-bun.
Old July 24, 2019, 05:31 PM   #23
Bill DeShivs

I will guarantee that I can't get any of those S&Ws or the Colt in my pockets.
Carrying a 35 ounce revolver in your pocket is absurd-as is saying the .38 Spl is a "marginally effective" caliber.
Old July 24, 2019, 06:38 PM   #24
JERRYS.

a centennial style J frame conceals AND draws the easiest from the pocket.
Old July 24, 2019, 07:28 PM   #25
kenny53

When I pocket carry a revolver it is a LCR 22mag in a sticky holster. Works well for me.