The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 20, 2005, 10:28 PM   #1
Eisande

Sniper scope camera for training

Our agency is going to be hosting a regional SWAT training day in a few months. I am brainstorming various scenarios and ideas for it. Basically 4 or 5 teams from other agencies will come to the training location ( a series of abandoned buildings in Los Angeles) and rotate throught various incidents.

I have attended these kinds of trainings as a participant before and have always found them to be very informative, not just from what our team did, but watching and learning from other teams.

ANYWAY! As one of the snipers on our team I often notice that few scenarios allows us to do much more than observer the front door until the entry team goes in. Very rarely is there a scenario in which we get to take a shot. Of course this is primarily due to the fact that there is no "Simunitions" for long rifles.

Sooo what I was thinking was..wouldn't it be interesting if we could hook up my scope to a camera so that we can actually record what I am seeing? On top of that..when it comes time for the "shot" maybe there could be some kind of snap cap in the chamber that would allow us to actualy pull the trigger and then it would grab that frame of the video (1/29th of second should be accurate enough) for review.

Anyone have ideas about this? Also, if you have ideas for general SWAT scenarios please let me know as well.
Old July 20, 2005, 10:41 PM   #2
S.E.R.T.SGT

Eisande:

I have e-mailed you some of the scenarios we use. Hope it helps friend.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lighting they
Do not go gently into that good night.

Dylan Thomas

S.E.R.T.SGT
Old July 20, 2005, 10:41 PM   #3
mikikanazawa

I don't know about riflescopes, but in astronomy you can get an eyepiece for your telescope that has an eyeball viewer w/ reticle AND a place to connect a camera. (So you can track progress of your long exposure astrophotos.)

As part of my senior project in college I connected a microphone to a camera so that a loud "crack" would take a snapshot. This type of equipment is easily available, but you'll have to do some looking because I can't remember where I got mine.

(In my case, the camera was to take a snapshot when a block of concrete cracked.)
Old July 20, 2005, 10:45 PM   #4
Eisande

Hmm, very interesting. Maybe a sniper rifle, fitted with a blank adaptor, could fire it and activate the image capture?

S.E.R.T. Sgt.

Checking my email now! thanks a bunch.

mike
Old July 21, 2005, 04:49 PM   #5
Rob Pincus

The is a company called Adirondak Optics that has a scope with a built in digital camera.

When I first saw it at SHOT 2 years ago, I called the guys over the IBA to look at it, as I thought it would be a GREAT training tool... not only for the type of no-shot live scenarios that you are talking about, but also because it automatically takes a snapshot at recoil (ie- where the crosshairs were as the gun was fired).

Surviellence photography was also another great use. I don't know where they are as far as production models, though. Last I knew they still only had prototypes.

Good Luck.
Old July 21, 2005, 08:33 PM   #6
Dwight55

Several years ago, I built a camer/scope rig for "simulated" hunting. I could do all the stalking, hiking, etc. necessary for the "shot" and do it anytime or any season.

I don't know if it would work for your scenario, . . . but I would think that it would be a place to start.

The enclosed image doesn't have the scope and camera on it, . . . those are just paper cutouts to show you where they go.

You would be welcome to use it if you wanted to, . . . you only need a camera, scope, and a cable release to simulate the trigger.

May God bless,
Dwight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camera scope rig.jpg (29.7 KB, 43 views)
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!