The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 14, 2015, 02:42 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

So, suppressors the Jack of all trades?

I am toying with the idea of getting a suppressor for my AR. Barring any major reason not to, it would pretty much stay on the gun once I've got it.

I'd like to get it for the reduced fatigue of shooting .223, noise-wise, the fact that it will look very cool (), but also because I have read that they are effective as flash hiders as well as going some way to working as a compensator.

I can understand the flash hider aspect but as a compensator? Is that true?

If so, I understand that a dedicated compensator will do a better job, but if a can is able to mitigate some of the recoil, then bonus, because I've seen what a compensator does to IPSC stage times!!

Where I live, provided you are a member of a sports-shooting club, you can just walk into a shop to buy a suppressor.
I say that so that members are not swayed by arguments about the red tape that might surround them in the States.
To down side is that I am limited to, literally, only a couple of models made by Ase Utra, in Finland. The NorthStar 3B-.25 for sure and perhaps another, and they are not very cheap.
Old March 14, 2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond
I can understand the flash hider aspect but as a compensator? Is that true?

If so, I understand that a dedicated compensator will do a better job, but if a can is able to mitigate some of the recoil, then bonus, because I've seen what a compensator does to IPSC stage times!!
Yes, a silencer will cut the recoil noticeably on your rifle, but not as much as a good brake/compensator will.

But as far as what model to get, pretty much all my normal advice goes out the window considering you live in Europe. I'm completely unfamiliar with any of the silencers available to you over there, and your priorities are different considering they're probably cheaper, they're much easier to get, and they don't require an additional non-refundable $200 tax every time you buy one.
Old March 14, 2015, 03:04 PM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Well, a .25 caliber can will cost me about €230, whilst a compensator would come in at about €150, tops, but could be as little as €90.

Costs benefits aside, I really don't want the compensator sound wave coming my way every shot. I know that it is more noticeable to those stood off to one side, but still, the idea is to make a shooting out less tiring.

Did I mention that it would look cool-as...?
Old March 14, 2015, 06:35 PM   #4
skizzums

I dunno man, I can see value in a .223 suppressor, but to get the full benefit your going to need to run sub-sonic .223 ammo.....which is just ridiculous IMO. if our going to drop suppressor type money, I would start with a 9mm upper to shoot sub 147gr bullets or 30BLK which has many sub-sonic offerings. unless your out-door shooting for extended periods, I don't see a lot of value in a suppressor that you can't run decent sub-sonic ammo with. but that's just MY opinion. the bullet-crack takes the fun out of it for me......
Old March 14, 2015, 06:44 PM   #5
Theohazard

Almost nobody uses subsonic .223 ammo when shooting suppressed, but .223 silencers are still really popular, and that's because they take a loud .223 down to a level below an un-suppressed .22 rifle.

Sure, subsonic pistol calibers are quieter suppressed, but that's why you need more than one silencer.

Also, keep in mind that 9mm 147 gr. ammo through a 16" carbine will almost always be supersonic, so you either need to handload or SBR the rifle and get a shorter barrel. Of course, I'm guessing the SBR laws are different over there.
Old March 14, 2015, 07:43 PM   #6
skizzums

I respectfully disagree, I was shooting 147gr factory federal from a suppressed AR 16" barrel a few months back and it stayed sub-sonic just as the fiocci 158gr did. i am sure others have had other experiences, but every single round stayed sub, wasn't any here or there that did not. I was surprised myself.
Old March 14, 2015, 07:49 PM   #7
Theohazard

^^^ It depends on the ammo. I never said it would always be supersonic, I said "almost always". That might have sounded a little exteme, so I'll amend it and say that most 147 gr. ammo out of most 16" 9mm barrels will be supersonic.
Old March 14, 2015, 09:43 PM   #8
Sharkbite

I run a can on my 223 AR most of the time. 10.5" and a 16" gun. It makes a HUGE difference in sound and blast. The 10.5" gun is obnoxious without the suppresor on.

I make up some subsonic 223 ammo sometimes as well. Turns the AR's into straight pull bolt actions but man is it QUIET. A little better ballistically then a 22lr due to bullet weight. Still a novelty item in my book...fun none the less.

My advice is get a can. Enjoy the reduction in blast and sound, while adding some of the "cool factor" you mention.
Old March 15, 2015, 02:48 AM   #9
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
while adding some of the "cool factor" you mention
You mean they are cool, as well?!

Great!
Old March 15, 2015, 08:24 AM   #10
Nathan

For all you Americans, he's only dropping $242 on this suppressor. Not bad. I'd probably do it.

I think of a suppressor as $800+$200+1yr....not worth it at all to me.
Old March 15, 2015, 09:11 AM   #11
zach_

$242 out the door. I would definitely have one by now. The $200.00 tax stamp, time, red tape, and ridiculous retail prices are the reasons I don't have one.
Old March 15, 2015, 09:26 AM   #12
Willie Lowman

Quote:
I dunno man, I can see value in a .223 suppressor, but to get the full benefit your going to need to run sub-sonic .223 ammo.....which is just ridiculous
What's ridiculous is how often I see the myth of "you must use subsonic ammo" repeated. If you want the full value of a .223 suppressor, you will fire regular supersonic .223 ammo through it. You fire .223 because you want a bullet that will still be going 2700 fps when it reaches it's target 100 yards away.

Why just the other day I took my FN SCAR out and I got the full benefit from it. I screwed the suppressor on, flipped the gas regulator to 'suppressed' loaded it with XM193 and started shooting. Full. Benefit.
Old March 15, 2015, 10:37 AM   #13
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lowman
What's ridiculous is how often I see the myth of "you must use subsonic ammo" repeated. If you want the full value of a .223 suppressor, you will fire regular supersonic .223 ammo through it. You fire .223 because you want a bullet that will still be going 2700 fps when it reaches it's target 100 yards away.
This. This times 1000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
I think of a suppressor as $800+$200+1yr....not worth it at all to me.
The wait time hasn't been anywhere near a year for quite a while now. Currently the wait is around 3 months.
Old March 15, 2015, 12:06 PM   #14
Sharkbite

3-4 months on a form 4
Just over ONE month if done via a form 1
Old March 15, 2015, 01:26 PM   #15
skizzums

okay, yeah. if they aren't restricted and cost less than 400$ out-the-door, I would have a suppressor for every caliber.
Old March 15, 2015, 10:03 PM   #16
Tucker 1371

Quote:
Well, a .25 caliber can will cost me about €230, whilst a compensator would come in at about €150, tops, but could be as little as €90.
€230 x 1.05 = $241.50 USD for a suppressor = MIND. BLOWN

I really wish our politicians would wise up and rework or get rid of NFA laws, at the very least the ones that pertain to Suppressors and SBR/Ss.

It stinks that you're limited to one brand of suppressor there Pond. If I could have a SilencerCo Saker762 for $300 ish with no wait I would have one or ten by now.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old March 15, 2015, 10:55 PM   #17
zach_

That $241 dollars is still at 75% margin in the mysterious Baltic Stack.
Old March 17, 2015, 08:21 PM   #18
silverstang23

I run one on my 556 with supersonic ammo all the time. Sure it's not as quite as subsonic. But when I'm at the range who cares. It is significantly quieter. Also, I guess you could argue a suppressor reduces recoil. I run a break under my suppressor. This reduced recoil with and without the suppressor. A suppressor also adds weight to the end of the gun which will take some of the noticed "kick" off. Just pick the suppressor right for you a go for it. I was hesitant at first but now that I've started my collection have no regrets. Nobody has shot my suppressed guns and not walked a way with a huge grin on their face. Even the haters.
Old March 24, 2015, 11:37 AM   #19
Husqvarna

they are over the counter in Finland aswell, only a ferry trip away
and they will sell to foreigners, Sweden requires licenses

Stalon are highly praised on shooting forums in Sweden if you come across one of those

Hausken and RCC to

think about getting one with a changealbe front so you can use different calibres

I am waiting on mine for a blr in 358win and a front for 308

it will be silly quit on my 357mag rossi shooting 38s
Old March 24, 2015, 02:34 PM   #20
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
they are over the counter in Finland aswell, only a ferry trip away
Know any shops in Helsinki?
Old March 26, 2015, 08:23 AM   #21
Machineguntony

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are from England, James?

I hear that in England, AR centerfire rifles are manual shot, like a bolt action. Doesn't that take the enjoyment out of the AR?
Old April 4, 2015, 03:06 PM   #22
Husqvarna

Quote:
Know any shops in Helsinki?
no sorry
Old April 4, 2015, 04:25 PM   #23
Pond, James Pond

OK, no probs.

Looks like a local shop may be able to help.