The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old February 10, 2005, 02:45 AM   #1
accordingtome

Hey TFL Gods.. How about this Off Topic

I know im new here but i was thinking that we could have a truly OFF TOPIC forum on this site.. That way people can post there without getting their threads locked. What if want to know if anyone else on the site is a PSII nut. I have no where to post it. I bet you would have some great topics come up and some really good threads. Its nice to know what people think about certain subjects, especially when you share a common hobby that you love ( GUNS )

Just a Thought.

What do you all think?

Last edited by accordingtome; February 10, 2005 at 03:49 AM.
Old February 10, 2005, 03:19 AM   #2
Brick

Hello folks.™

THR has one, and when I visit here I still wonder why this board doesn't have one...
Old February 10, 2005, 04:21 AM   #3
Anarx

i have to agree.. *partly becuse i put alot of work into the cloused thread* and it would be simpler to moderate..

i understand its hard for you guys half the time your damned if you do damned if ya dont..

Jess
Old February 10, 2005, 06:50 AM   #4
Marko Kloos

Quote:
Welcome to The Firing Line, a virtual community dedicated to the discussion and advancement of responsible firearms ownership.
The Internet is pretty big. People who are into PS2 games, cross-stitching, breeding Pomeranians, or hot-rodding Toyota Celicas can find any number of boards that have those subjects as their primary point of discussion.

An off-topic forum would be incompatible with the stated mission of TFL.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old February 10, 2005, 07:42 AM   #5
accordingtome

I really don't see it as a big deal.. it would be nice to get some new blood in this forum whats the saying..

"parents just don't understand"

your right though .. anyone that would hotrod a toyota celica should not be on this site..
Old February 10, 2005, 11:51 AM   #6
Avizpls

Check out www.racepa.com for another example of no off topic. We do the same thing over there. No off topic. I dont think we should get one here either. (I am Daewoo on that board)
Old February 10, 2005, 06:33 PM   #7
tyme
Staff

THR
Glocktalk
Hardcoretalk
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old February 10, 2005, 06:35 PM   #8
dasmi

No off topic section. I've been on boards that were supposed to be about a certain subject, and when off topic posts are allowed, the whole thing collapses into a useless jumble of wasted bandwidth.
Old February 10, 2005, 06:48 PM   #9
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Hmmmmm-
After carefully weighing all the arguments.....
"No".

Sorry.
Rich
Old February 10, 2005, 06:51 PM   #10
dasmi

Yay!!
Old February 10, 2005, 08:51 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

I invite anyone who wants to engage in civil "off topic" discussions to visit THR.
Old February 11, 2005, 02:51 AM   #12
accordingtome

O.K....O.K..., i get the picture already
I am from california and all im used to nothing changing and living with commie ideas. I really do like posting on this board and i like that people on it. everyone is really nice.. I guess i will just Conform.
Old February 11, 2005, 03:53 PM   #13
DanV1317

go to a ps2 forum if you want to talk ps2. Unless you know of any cool PS2 games that simulate real life carrying and IDPA competitions with some other cool stuff like that!
Old February 13, 2005, 09:22 PM   #14
Jamie Young

We talk about guns over at www.ambackforum.com but we do have several forums for off-topic subjects.
Old February 13, 2005, 10:54 PM   #15
PsychoSword

Quote:
I invite anyone who wants to engage in civil "off topic" discussions to visit THR.
The "Is This Board Becoming the Low Road" thread that was started by golden boy is precisely the reason why I am so glad there is not an off-topic forum here.
Old February 18, 2005, 08:13 PM   #16
abelew

I don't really think that a gun oriented board needs a bullitin oriented towards anything but firearms related discussions. Just join a different board. Its not like they dont exist. Anyways, do you reallly want gun guys getting into heated discussions about ps2 games? Might get too......personal
Old March 2, 2005, 06:22 PM   #17
USP45usp

I know that I'm late (better late then never ).

Anyway, I agree with no off topic forum. It's too emotional sometimes and too easy to get into a poop kicking match with members, new or old.

Yes, I know that you're thinking that just because I am not mature or responsible enough to be able to keep my cool in an OT room, let me tell you that I've seen many level headed, intelligent people blow it in an OT forum and get banned (myself NOT included, I'm not intelligent).

I've watched good people going down in flames because they had a bad night, bad week, or bad year.

We try to be our best, but as human beings, sometimes that isn't possible.

I'm speaking from experience. I will admit that I am relearning board edicate, how to control my humaness when conversing with others, and to know when to hold my tougne(sp) and spell .

And, since this is one of my last chances to be a member of a community and not the loner, I'm mighty glad that this board doesn't have an OT forum .

Wayne
Old March 2, 2005, 06:23 PM   #18
dasmi

Quote:
THR is closing the Roundtable section. No more off topic stuff there anymore.
Old March 3, 2005, 10:07 AM   #19
garrettwc

Quote:
THR is closing the Roundtable section. No more off topic stuff there anymore.
And if you read all the posts over there about it closing, you will get a clear picture of why it's a bad idea for TFL.
Old March 5, 2005, 05:21 PM   #20
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

www.ambackforum.com

www.familyfriendsfirearms.com

www.bladeforums.com

www.armedpolitesociety.com
Old March 9, 2005, 04:41 PM   #21
bci4usa

I don't think anything is off topic in an open forum page, If you don't like the topic the last I checked you don’t have to answer it. If you don’t think you can answer it with a professional opinion then you don’t belong on any forum. If you can’t act appropriately or professionally then again you don’t belong on any forum.

A topic is a topic and I guess we need approval before we start topics.

We got another big brother, this one tells us what we can and can’t say.
Old March 9, 2005, 08:40 PM   #22
Bud Helms

Originally posted by bci4usa:
Quote:
I don't think anything is off topic in an open forum page, If you don't like the topic the last I checked you don’t have to answer it. If you don’t think you can answer it with a professional opinion then you don’t belong on any forum. If you can’t act appropriately or professionally then again you don’t belong on any forum.

I don't think anything is off topic in an open forum page, ... There is no open forum page on TFL.

If you don’t think you can answer it with a professional opinion then you don’t belong on any forum. We don't all have professional opinions to give.

A topic is a topic and I guess we need approval before we start topics. All you really need to do is read the forum page that contains the list of fora and their permitted subject matter.

We got another big brother, this one tells us what we can and can’t say. That sounds like the cue for a member of the staff to point out that on this bulletin board you are on personal property. Just as if you were in someone's living room, there is a standard of behavior that is acceptable. Speech (in this case, written matter) on this bulletin board will comply with those standards as well as we, the staff, can enforce, but more importantly you, the members, voluntarily abide. The membership sets the tone of this bulletin board. If that tone and the standard of conduct remains high, all the staff can do is keep hands off or spoil it. But if you came here to complain about censorship, you're barking up the wrong tree.
Old March 9, 2005, 08:42 PM   #23
tyme
Staff

Quote:
Yesh... please stop visiting TFL. Yov do know it impvrifies yovr preciovs bodily flvids? Perhaps one of these wovld be more to yovr liking:

www.glocktalk.com
www.hardcoretalk.com
www.freerepublic.com
www.armedpolitesociety.com

You do not know the first thing about censorship, and either you have not read the TFL charter or your reading comprehension skills need work.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old March 10, 2005, 12:40 PM   #24
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Quote:
I don't think anything is off topic in an open forum page, If you don't like the topic the last I checked you don’t have to answer it.
TFL isn't an open forum. It's a forum dedicated to firearms and the ownership of same.

Quote:
If you don’t think you can answer it with a professional opinion then you don’t belong on any forum.
Afully elitist of you, don't you think?

Quote:
If you can’t act appropriately or professionally then again you don’t belong on any forum.
Indeed, and it is neither approriate, nor professional to enter private property and then gripe about the rules posted by the owner of that property.

Quote:
No need, just follow the rules you agreed to when you joined.

Quote:
Big Brother was an invention of George Orwell referring to an out-of-control government. Rich Lucibella is neither a government, nor out-of-control.

I trust this answers your questions and clarifies matters for you.

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files
Old March 11, 2005, 11:08 PM   #25
missourigunner

Hey TFL Gods

Lawdog, I couldn't agree more. I would expect that if I posted "Non-appropriate" material to be booted. This is a Firearms forum, not an open forum. Use of profanity is unprofessional, off topic postings do confuse the issue.