The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 18, 2013, 11:40 PM   #1
SauerGrapes

handgun reflex reddot?

I just picked up a nice slightly used Ruger MKIII target. I'm looking for a reddot optic sight for steel shooting. This will be my first reddot purchase.
I have to say, I have a splitting headache from doing research. The choices are overwhelming me.
I'm leaning towards a reflex due to size and weight.

I see $40 sights and then I look at ultradot and Burris, $250. I also came accross a Bushnell XLT First Strike for about $125. This seems to be a fairly new offering from Bushnell. I was interested in it, but only found one review. The guy said he was very happy with it.
The Burris fastfire seems very popular and lots of feedback available. The Ultadot Pan AV also looks good, but with limited reviews.
I've look thru some reddots at the club, but they are either too big or IMO, too heavy. These were all tube style bullseye sights.

I don't mind spending good money, I just don't want to have to buy twice. I'm looking for some insight from dot users.
My eyes just aren't what they use to be....lol.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old January 19, 2013, 12:40 AM   #2
weblance

I just ordered one of these for my Beretta neos. No battery, and seems interesting. Different than anything else available today. Do a Google search for "see all open sight images", and you will see some better images of the actual sight picture

http://seeallopensight.com/products.html

Old January 19, 2013, 02:32 AM   #3
Xfire68

I just tried out my Primary Arms Green Dot Reflex sight on my Glock 20 and the elevation adjustment will not go low enough. I can hit the bullseye but I have to aim at the bottom of the target. If I can fix this issue this sight would be fantastic for range shooting and hunting.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:23 PM   #4
alex0535

I have nothing but great things to say about my Burris Fastfire III 3moa dot.

You bring up sights being too heavy, the Fastfire weighs 0.9oz. The automatic brightness adjustment is great. You can look through it and see it adjust as you move the sight from a darker place to a lighter one. There are also settings for high, medium, and low brightness.

It is waterproof enough to be submerged. I have not had to change the battery yet, and from what I understand I probably won't have to replace it for a long time. It comes with a nice protective cover that slips over it.

Overall 100% pleased with the Burris Fastfire
Old January 20, 2013, 12:17 AM   #5
Rinspeed

I don't know how hard one would be to find one but I just put a OKO red dot on my Ruger MKIII and it works great.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:13 PM   #6
mxsailor803

Another vote for the Burris FF. I've swapped my probably 4 or 5 times to various gun and it keeps going back on my MKI. Just so you know, you will feel more muzzle rise as well just because of where it is located.
Old January 21, 2013, 07:22 PM   #7
SauerGrapes

What's the difference between the Burris fast fire II and III? Is it just the mount?

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old January 21, 2013, 07:53 PM   #8
alex0535

The FF II battery compartment is underneath the sight requiring it to be unscrewed from the mount to replace the battery. The FF III battery compartment is on the top so that battery changes do not require you to remove the sight from the gun.

I think that the FF II is also auto brightness adjustment only and the FF III has auto adjustment and 3 brightness settings. The FF II weighs 1.6oz and the FF III weighs 0.9oz. The FF III also has a slightly smaller dot at 3moa than the FF II with 4moa.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:41 AM   #9
Xfire68

Went to the rang today and gave my Primary Arms Green Dot Reflex sight another try. I adjusted the elevation setting when it was off the mount and it seemed to help.

I was able to sight it in pretty well in just a few shots. I can get 3-5 inch groups at 12 yards at a medium rate of fire. I had no trouble consistently hitting the target at 25 yards at a slow rate of fire.

That all said when I got home my gals new Burris Fastfire III 8 MOA was sitting by the front door. The on/off switch alone is enough for me to want one on my Glock 20 in place of the Primary Arms. Her SR9c Glock mount adapter from Galloway precision has not arrived yet so my G20 got to play dress up for the night. Now I have to save up to get mine!