The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2001, 10:45 AM   #1
Thegman

I was told by a Hornady rep that Lee dies were too short for their presses, and Dillon presses also. Is it true that Lee dies are too short for the Dillon press? I've not heard that before.
Old April 16, 2001, 11:24 AM   #2
muzzletalk

Not that I have ever experienced. I have used Lee, Dillon, and RCBS dies in my Dillon press without complications. I stooped using LEE because of the quality. I'm not a big fan of LEE that's all but I haven't had any issues with them not fitting.
Old April 16, 2001, 11:29 AM   #3
WalterGAII

Lee dies work fine with Dillon presses; you just have to put lockring on the bottom of the toolhead.
Old April 16, 2001, 06:53 PM   #4
Joe Gulish

I don't use LEE dies in my 550. When I found that they
are to short to put the lock ring on top of the tool
head. So I just use the dillon dies.

BTW, RCBS dies are long enough.
Old April 18, 2001, 03:20 PM   #5
Bogie

I've used them on a friend's Dillon 550 with no problems - In particular, I like using my Lee crimp die on .223...

IMHO Lee's dies are equal in quality to the other manufacturers, and are superior in some aspects, i.e., the decappers don't croak if you accidentally resize a heavily primer crimped or berdan case...

They're just ugly.

And the Lee collet dies are superior to most "normal" dies when it comes to loading for bolt action rifles... For my accuracy rifles, I use either Harrell (bushing), Redding (bushing) or Lee (collet)...

Old April 19, 2001, 12:06 PM   #6
jthuang

I have Lee factory crimp dies for .40 S&W, 9mm Luger and .223 Remington. Yes they are a bit short but as mentioned, they will work in the Dillon 550B toolhead.

However, instead of using the lock ring on the bottom of the toolhead, I remove the rubber o-ring and invert the ring on the top of the toolhead. Either way will work, YMMV.

I like the Lee factory crimp die, haven't found one better. The remainder of my dies are all RCBS.

Justin
Old April 19, 2001, 01:11 PM   #7
Hutch

I'm a HUGE Dillon fan. I have an RL650, which I think is a great machine. My only Dillon dies were the 9mmP I bought with the press. Almost 10% of my finished 9mm rounds won't chamber in my Glocks, due to case bulges near the web. I bought a Lee finish crimp and ran all the culled ammo thru it on a single-stage press. Voila, problem solved. Lee stuff is cheap, and sometimes cheaply made, but this little gadget was a real lifesaver (or ammosaver, anyway). There's one in .45ACP in my future.
Old April 20, 2001, 12:53 PM   #8
Patrick Graham

I use a lot of lee dies on my 550, most recently the pistol lee factory crimp.
Just flip the nut over on the die and you'll catch the last 2 0r 3 turns on the die threads. Works great.