The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1
JKilbreth

Need some Hawaiian help

So here's my dilemma. I live in Hawaii and am getting into reloading. I need to buy primers and powder, but I can't afford to pay $100+ for $15 worth of powder. The hazardous materials fee and shipping alone completely undermine my original reasoning behind getting into reloading in the first place: to SAVE money!

Does anyone know of a store on Oahu, or an online store that can help me reload but not break the bank??

Thanks in advance!
Old August 5, 2012, 08:52 PM   #2
UtopiaTexasG19

Here in the lower 48 I shop around when buying bullets/powder/primers and almost always go back to Powder Valley. Their regular prices are generally lower than others on sale. The shipping and other fees... I can't help you there!
http://powdervalleyinc.com/
Old August 5, 2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Jimro

yelp.com recommends Windward Gun Shop

6700 Kalanianaole Hwy
Ste 102
Honolulu, HI 96825
Neighborhood: Hawaii Kai

The online reviews mention reloading supplies, including powder, as part of the regular inventory.

If you want a powder that they don't stock, ask when they will place their next order and see if they can add what you want to it. They have to pay the hazmat fee anyways, so most of the time they will help you out.

Jimro
Old August 6, 2012, 02:51 AM   #4
JKilbreth

Hey! I didn't think of yelp. I'll definitely give that place a try
Old August 15, 2012, 02:03 AM   #5
Stargazer1

Kokohead crater

Is the Kokohead range still around? I remember back in the 80's, going there to shoot, pistol, rifle, shotgun, it was a very nice facility. I use to go the a place called the Armory off of King st. near Kalakaua Ave. I got my reloading supplys from those places. I grew up in Hawaii and was station there at Hickam AFB. I don't like the gun laws in Hawaii so now I live in Alabama.
Old August 29, 2012, 12:10 PM   #6
JKilbreth

Yes, Kokohead Shooting Complex is still open, and still the only public shooting range on the whole island. There are a few pistol ranges in Honolulu, but most of them you either have to be a member, or pay an exorbitant amount of money to enter.

Yes, the gun laws here are ridiculous (and blatantly unconstitutional), but I have neither the time now capital to run for congress I'm stationed here too, so I can't leave until my contract is up

Thanks for the recommendations, though! I'll give them a try.
Old August 29, 2012, 12:13 PM   #7
JKilbreth

Went to Winward Gun Shop. A little over-priced, but decent selection and extremely friendly staff. They're hard to find if you're not looking closely, though. Quite a hole-in-the-wall place...but that's common for just about everything in Oahu, Hawaii.