The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 27, 2007, 07:44 AM   #1
Grimesinma

CCI blue vs. green in Standard Pistol

I generally use CCI blue (standard velocity) for match competition due mainly to the cost. Is there any reason to step up to CCI match green? I shoot a Ruger MkIII bull-barrel with a red-dot sight. I generally shoot scores of 250 in my first year last year.
Old August 27, 2007, 09:15 AM   #2
deadin

Do you shoot better scores with CCI Green Tag vs CCI Standard? If not, why spend the extra money? At some point you will probably be a good enough that you will need the better ammo to meet your potential. You will probably want a new gun about the same time. Those last few points are expensive. (I eagerly am awaiting for the day I need Eley Tenex.)
Old August 27, 2007, 10:03 AM   #3
onlybrowning

Try RWS. They are extremely accurate for the money in my (sdold) target rifle. Can be ordered pretty cheap. My dad use to shoot CCI Blue label in his Mark I when he shot pistol competition.
Old August 28, 2007, 12:43 PM   #4
Tim R

I shoot .22 BE indoors during the winter months. I also shoot High power during the summer. My average with the pistol is a little higher than yours but I tend to shoot the pistol like a rifle. I also believe a shooter will know when a change needs to be made, better pistol, rifle, ammo what ever.

My 41 will hold the ten ring on a slow fire target and the X ring on the timed and rapid targets with CCI blue without problems from the bench.

With our averages, I see no real point to spend more money on expensive ammo. If our averages wre in the 290's, then there might be a point. Going to a more expensive ammo will not increase our scores enough to matter at this point of our lives. What I do see is the need for more practice and the cheaper the better.

Having said that, my 41 does shoot T-22 a little better than the CCI standard. I gave up on the T-22 because of issues with it not going off enough. CCI standard goes off 99.99% of the time. I think I've have one fail to fire out of the almost finshed off case of 5,000 rds. Last case I had 2 not go off out of 5,000 rds. I can live with a little wider group if the ammo goes off when I pull the trigger as I hate having to refire and get the bottom 10 for score.
Old September 10, 2007, 12:48 PM   #5
mikejonestkd

For me, there has been little difference between the CCi green tag and the CCI standard ' blue ' ammo.

I have two pistols that like the green tag slightly better but for the money I prefer to practice with the $6.00 box of blue vs the $11 box of green tag.

If it comes down to money on a match, the green tag comes out, depending on the pistol.
Old September 10, 2007, 01:00 PM   #6
Trapper L

I have a Ruger Target model with the 10" bull. I have shot almost every brand of match ammo out there, Eley, Winchester, Remington, CCI, etc and have been disappointed in the gun. It shoots good, just not to my "target" standards. For quite awhile I've been shooting some of the old Winchester EZXS. It works best with those up until I started playing with it as a plinker. I bought some Federal Game Shok 40 grainers. Their not easy to find around here but I ended up with some anyway. They shoot in a hole at 50 yds. It has brought the Ruger out of the closet and I'm looking forward to next years competition with it. I found them to be the cheapest at Midway. Try $20. for a brick. Might want to give them a try. If they don't work they are still good for plinking or practice. Worked for me.