The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2001, 08:44 AM   #1
Waitone

Newbe at reloading. I was just visualizing the use of different loads of powder and lead and the effect those changes have on recoil (as someone who plays at golf, I'm a strong believer in visualization). I'll be reloading .45ACP.

Just wondering. What effect does lead and powder combo have on recoil and ejection? In other words, do I need to have a variety of springs available to match recoil speed and ejection to the lead and powder combo???? Followup question, how do I know when it's time to change recoil springs?

Hey Moderator: thought I'd start here. If this one needs to go somewhere else, have at it.
Old April 18, 2001, 11:50 AM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Waitone--

Sure looks like a reloading question to me.

you usually only need to adapt recoil spring weight to various loads when there are VAST differences in your loads--As, if you use a very light load of Bullseye powder with the 185 SWC bullet for "softball" target use, which might well need a reduced power spring. It you then switch over to full power hardball loads (230 FMJ at, say, 850 fps,) and you'll need a full-weight recoil spring.

Then there are those who want to load rompin', stompin', heavy duty loads, and think to avoid injury to gun and self by use of the super heavy duty springs. Usually the latter requires other changes, as well, such as heavier mainspring and shock buffers and industrial strength safety goggles and Kevlar gloves. (You might be able to tell--My opinion is that, if you WANT a magnum, you should GET a magnum, and not mistreat your 1911.)

But, really, there are a lot of folks who like the .45 Super and the like and don't mind the switchover.

All of which being said, you can shoot a pretty wide selection of loads while using the standard recoil spring.

I try to change recoil springs every three to five thousand rounds. I like the Wilson plastic Shock Buff system. Watch the condition of these and replace when they begin battering noticibly.

Anyone else have different criteria for replacing springs?

Best of luck--
Johnny
Old April 19, 2001, 07:36 AM   #3
Pampers

Strangely enough,

the 32# recoil spring that I use when shooting .45 Super works fine with my IDPA/IPSC load (225 gr TCBB & 817 fps). I do, however change back to a 18.5# spring for normal use. Wilson included an 8# spring with my gun when they built it, but I've never had ocassion to try "Softball" loads.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.
NRA Golden Eagle
Old April 19, 2001, 01:00 PM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Super-Heavyweight Springs

Pampers--

There's one school of thought that the Super-Heavyweight Springs actually increase wear and ttear on the weapons system, and surely DO decrease functional reliability with all but the heaviest loads. I believe the reasoning is that, unless your wrist is FIRMLY locked, the heavier spring has so much resistance that the slide won't recoil far enough to eject the empty and pick up the new round.

I am of the opinion that the whole system was set up and "timed" for a given load/energy/work balance. With standard spring and normal power ball ammo, a standard Government Model (All steel, full size) 1911 pistol has no particular sensitivity to "limp wristing."

One of my normal demonstrations to shooting classes, especially impressive for women, is to demonstrate the relative LACK of PUNISHING KICK of the .45 auto. I hold the pistol with ONLY thumb around grip safety and triffer finger in the guard, and fire a controlled series of shots in that manner. I stop in the middle of the magazine and point out that I hold the pistol with ONLY the thumb resisting the recoil, with it offset from my wrist, and it still works fine, and doesn't hurt my thumb.

This works, of course, because the steel frame has enough inertia, with its own weight, to allow the pistol to function. This, as opposed to some of the lightweight arms of different calibers, which require the locked wrist to make it work.

Pampers, I'll bet you are NOT "limp wristing" your pistol when you use the 32# spring with normal .45 ACP loads.

Best to all,
Johnny
Old April 19, 2001, 01:38 PM   #5
Pampers

Johnnie,

I don't make a habit of shooting my GM with a 32# spring and normal .45 loads. Just did it to see if it would work--it did. My daughter (now 19) loves my .45s. I've promised her one for her 21st. She tolerates the .45 Super loads, and hates my .41 Magnum, with equivalent loads.

For that matter, I don't make a habit of shooting it with .45 Super. Just enough to develop a load, find a zero, and determine that it AIN'T NO PLINKING GUN! By far, the vast majority of my shooting is done with my IDPA/IPSC load.

I've never encountered a "limp wrist" jam.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.
NRA Golden Eagle