The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 5, 2006, 05:51 PM   #1
Homerboy

Mossberg 500A vs. Persuader?

I have a Mossberg 500A that I bought 10 years ago. Gun has maybe 500 rounds through it. I like having a good shotgun around, but I prefer to shoot handguns and rifles at the range. I have the itch to buy a new shotgun for some reason (less than $300). Is there a point? Is the Persuader or 590 a better gun, or is the difference minimal? Remember, the gun is mostly a "just in case" gun. Should I go Remington 870?
Old April 5, 2006, 07:31 PM   #2
jhgreasemonkey

The 590 holds more shells. But the difference is pretty minimal except the 590 is supposedly beefed up a bit. The 500 is a great gun though. In my opinion I wouldnt spend the money on something so similar unless I wanted to collect shotguns. But its your idea and if thats what you want then go for it. Nothing wrong with more guns.
Old April 7, 2006, 12:30 PM   #3
Gabby Hayes

I just bought a Mossberg 500A "Persuader" last year. The Persuader is just Mossberg's name for a standard 500 with the 18-inch barrel. The 590 is a fancy 500 with the longer magazine and Parkerized finish. The 590A1 has the heavier barrel wall and metal safety button and trigger guard if you like such things. For an occasional use gun I don't see any big difference among the three.
Old April 7, 2006, 03:52 PM   #4
dfaugh

??????????
Mine is marked 500A, but has the longer mag tube (and 20" cyl barrel)....As I recall whne I bought it it was called "special purpose".

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old April 8, 2006, 05:25 PM   #5
doubleaes2

dfaugh,

Mine is the same way, 20 inch cylinder bore barrel, 7 shot tube, and it came pistol grip only, which was promptly replaced with a factory synthetic stock.
Old April 8, 2006, 05:26 PM   #6
doubleaes2

I believe it was sold as a "Cruiser " model.
Old April 9, 2006, 01:38 AM   #7
308SORRELS

I will Probably get told different But I think the 500 was the bestshotgun Mossberg has made .