The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 13, 2004, 04:57 PM   #1
drdirk

Pietta Service / Spare parts

I have a 58 Remington SS made by Pietta BP revolver. The little part and spring that advances the cylinder (sorry, I am new at this, can't think of a better description) broke. So the Cylinder does not advance due to the broken spring. I sent emails to Cabelas without a reply. Called, they did not know and since it is out of warranty no help.

Anybody know how to get parts for the gun?

Thanks!
Old July 13, 2004, 09:33 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

You may contact Alessandro Pietta at

[email protected]

He's a member at THR under the name of alchimista
Old July 15, 2004, 04:27 PM   #3
RobW

Try www.vtigunparts.com they have everything Pietta and Uberti, or use Dixie Gun Works www.dixiegunworks.com.

I ordered some spareparts from vti, especially the hand-assembly (exactly what your problem is) because it is known to give problems (when the revolver gets sooted and the cylinder is very hard to rotate).

Alessandro Pietta is one of 2 sons of Guiseppe (?) Pietta that run the company. In the last few years, it looks like they catched up to the quality of Ubertis, known as the best Italian revolver replicas.

For rifles, I think it's still Pietro Pedersoli.

THAT STUFF IS ADDICTIVE!
Old July 16, 2004, 11:05 AM   #4
drdirk

thanks

Just went to the VTI web site and ordered the parts. They have nice drawings of the guns and it looks easy to order. Got two while I was on it.

Thanks for your suggestion!
Old July 23, 2004, 10:41 AM   #5
mec

Hopefully VTI will have this part. If not, you might find that a Uberti will work. Uberti parts are readily available from several reliable sources.
Numrich Gun Parts lists nothing for the Pietta except a Kartridge Konverter and a schematic. They do have parts for the Army Colt listed but all of the essential ones are astericed as "Sold Out."
Dixie appears not to have any parts for these but It's a bit hard to find specific items with their search engine.

There appears to be no factory service available from FAP Pietta.

Last edited by mec; July 24, 2004 at 01:38 PM.
Old July 23, 2004, 07:05 PM   #6
drdirk

no response from Pietta

Thanks to good suggestions, my Pietta is up and shooting again ( for now at least). Without this forum, I would have a hunk of metal now, Pietta did not respond at all. I guess they are more interested in customers that use them for display only and not actually load it up and shoot

BUT thanks to this threat and my other threat on how to get the cylinder to turn after a broken hand that was a little too long and the wrong shape was matched, it is working again. Too bad that no "normal" firearm support exist.

Cheers!
Old July 23, 2004, 08:07 PM   #7
mec

Even so, you may find yourself with a nasty black powder habit. Mine was low grade for decades and then emerged as a full blown addiction. I have a navy that was probably manufactured by Pietta, sent to this country for sale to either Colt or another concern that wanted to put its own cosmetics and markings on it and then rejected by the US buyer. It was part of a batch a local guy bought up. No finish, no front sight, brittle trigger spring and bolt and a 6 pound trigger pull Pietta spare parts- available in an expensive kit from either Brownelles or Numrich (and apparently almost nowhere else.) dropped in with no fitting. Still has the 6 pound trigger and chambers don't line up particularly well with the barrel but it shoots very well anyway.

This year, I picked up a 1858 Remington and a 1860 army newly made by Uberti. I was amazed at the quality of them. The chambers line up, the parts are well fitted and finished and the bore/ chamber measurements are perfect. On top of that, Cimarron, VTI Taylor and Uberti all keep spare parts and have in house service departments for repairs. This is unpresidented in the replica industry and I hope it lasts. A good strategy if you get the itch for another revover is:
1. put in a spare parts order ( springs, screws-hand and bolt) for the specific model before you buy it. If they come youre in business. Spare parts are completely necessary for these designs as flat springs tend to break even when heat treated right. Shooters often find out about this only after buying the guns. It is good to read the black powder annuals and magazine articles but they generally omit the realities of black powder shooting in order to sell more guns for their industry supporters. The gunwriters will have you believe that all of the black powder revolvers are miracles of industrial integrity and you have already found out this isn't true.

2. Examine the gun if possible. Even with current quality control, specific examples of the Ubertis vary in smoothness and functionality. Otherwise, order direct from Cimarron or Taylors and examine upon arrival.

Last edited by mec; July 23, 2004 at 09:22 PM.
Old July 23, 2004, 08:22 PM   #8
drdirk

good advice!

You certainly know your stuff. Thanks for the valuable advice. Had I know more, I probably would have bought a Uberti. BUT at least the Pietta made me learn a lot, disassembly, fixing parts, powder charges, Grams / Grains... boy, I could almost fool myself into thinking I know something Well, even if I don't you do! After shooting cartridge for 30 years I am loving the BP stuff
Old July 23, 2004, 08:34 PM   #9
mec

Its like an archeologist staggered along the base of Mt Horeb and stubbing his toe against Another Ten Commandments that everybody had forgotten about.

Quite a sense of accomplishment taking the thing apart and making it work In'it?
Old September 8, 2004, 11:14 AM   #10
Cap n ball

We discussed this over at THR awhile back. Piettas are getting much better. I bought one about ten years ago and the first thing to break was the hand spring. My gunsmith was able to replace the spring with one he made from flattened piano wire. Just about everything else that could break or wear out eventually did. It is a brass frame Remington. I thought it looked cool but didn't realize until later how fast brass wears. I still think it looks kinda cool as a wallhanger.
Old September 9, 2004, 10:28 AM   #11
mec

VTI stocking the parts could be a real boost for Pietta owners. They are even planning to stock LeMat Parts on this side of the atlantic and got a batch of spares for me recently. Pietta can make a good gun. The LeMat has all the design related peculiarities of the originals and they can be overcome. The total lack of customer support, spare parts etc has probably kept most owners from shooting them very much but this could be about to change. My revolver is well made and accurate as was an earlier one I had.