The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 3, 2018, 07:45 PM   #1
homesick

HS Precision stock / muzzle brake problem

I bought a Remington 700 260 Rem that has a fluted barrel / Badger muzzle brake/ Timney Calvin elite trigger about a month ago. This rifle likes absolutely nothing I feed it. The guy I got it from had a McMillan stock on it which he sold before I had a chance to buy it and told me it shot great with the McMillan. The rifle was customized by Az Custom rifles I have a copy of the bill from that. Here's my thoughts if the rifle shot good with a McMillan stock my feeling is the HS stock has a problem, and the muzzle brake isn't the issue.
My question is has any one had issues with Precision stocks if so what were they and how do you fix it?
IMO this rifle should be a 1/2" MOA. The rifle hasn't had but maybe 150 rds through it. I have a 223 Rem, 22-250 and 308 Win in this same style rifle and all are 1/2" guns.
Any suggestions or ideas would be great,
Old June 4, 2018, 12:35 AM   #2
dakota.potts

What kind of groups is it shooting?

Is the rifle bedded (both pillar and glass) to the McMillan stock?

Here is my guess: Something is binding or sitting unevenly in the stock causing uneven pressure. My immediate guess is to do with the recoil lug or the barrel. If it has a significantly thicker recoil lug such as the Badger Ordnance lug used on the M40 series rifles, the stock likely has to be opened up to accept it.

It could also be that the action sits unevenly in the stock and is binding when torqued, causing it to flex and return un-evenly during recoil.

If we assume it's the stock, my fix would be:
Check the barrel and make sure it's free-floating along its length
Check the Recoil Lug slot for any contact or interference
Install aluminum pillars for the action screws
Glass bed the action with Marine Tex epoxy.
Torque the action to spec with a torque wrench.

Again, that's without having the gun in my hands and assuming that we're sure it's the stock causing issues.
Old June 4, 2018, 12:32 PM   #3
cw308

I'm shooting a Rem 700 originally a LTR came with a fluted barrel , H S Precision stock . Had a threaded muzzle break installed because it was hopping shooting with a Harris Bi Pod , also changed the trigger to a Jewell . Even though it has a aluminum bed I could see some rub marks . I bedded with Devon steel bedding ,the barrel is an was free floating , torque setting on both bolts 65" lbs . Now it's rock solid shoots half inch groups at 200 yards is only the distance I shoot do to range max. in my area is 200 yards . Check to see if you have any rub marks , torque settings an if barrel is centered in the free floating stock.
Old June 4, 2018, 03:57 PM   #4
jmr40

In my experience an HS-Precision or B&C stock with the metal chassis shoots just as well as a McMillan. I'd just as soon have one of those as a McMillan on a heavy rifle meant to be used as a Varmint/Target/Tactical type rifle. The McMillans are much more refined, much lighter, and far more ergonomic. I much prefer them on a hunting rifle meant to be carried a lot. But they don't shoot any better.

Normally they don't need to be bedded to shoot well. Getting the action screws to the correct torque may matter, and if all else fails bedding it is worth a try.

Winston Churchill
Old June 4, 2018, 06:02 PM   #5
std7mag

All else failing, you can always sell to me... :

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old June 5, 2018, 01:33 PM   #6
Picher

Measure the stock's slot depth to assure that it's at least a 1/32" deeper than the length of the recoil plate. Put two layers of masking tape on front, bottom and sides of the plate, then put neutral-colored paste shoe wax on anything you don't want permanently glued in to the stock.

Then, install some good epoxy bedding to make the stock recess perfectly match your receiver. JB Weld works pretty well for thin layers like you need.

If after bedding the receiver and 2+/- inches of barrel the rifle should shoot well, unless the barrel is bad. Don't forget to remove the tape from the recoil plate before shooting.

Hope it helps. If not, the barrel may be defective.

JP
Old June 5, 2018, 04:51 PM   #7
cw308

If you go the route of bedding , look at the on line videos they are very helpful . First time I tried it it came out perfect , just take your time use clay in all the nucks an crannies , the videos go step by step.