The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 30, 2020, 09:56 AM   #1
stagpanther

6mm predator

This one has sat in the back of my safe for a while. Thanks to mel80's Grendel enthusiasm I decided to dust her off and load up some 95 gr tipped matchings and take her for a spin.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2969.jpg (211.2 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2968.jpg (205.3 KB, 156 views)
Old April 30, 2020, 03:49 PM   #2
Scorch

That ought to be fun. Correct me if I'm wrong, but thats a x39mm case, right?
Taylor Machine
Old April 30, 2020, 05:20 PM   #3
10-96

Quote:
but thats a x39mm case, right?
If that was derived from the x39 case, then what was the 6.8SPC squoze down to 6mm called? I forget now, but I had a serious hankering for one of those a while back.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old April 30, 2020, 05:22 PM   #4
10-96

OK, my bad, it was the 6mm WOA I was thinking about.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old April 30, 2020, 05:25 PM   #5
Shooter911

Flash Hider

Where did you find the Flash Hider?
Old April 30, 2020, 07:57 PM   #6
ed308

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but thats a x39mm case, right?
Close. Grendel case.

ARP wildcat. Hornady's new 6mm ARC SAAMI cartridge is very similar. ARP's 6mm 6.8 wildcat is the TAC6.

https://ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38016/61304

https://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38016/64703
Old April 30, 2020, 08:06 PM   #7
Scorch

Quote:
Quote:
Close. Grendel case.
Yeah, Uh-huh. The 6.5 Grendel is a 7.62X39 necked down. So that would be a yes, the X39 case.
Taylor Machine
Old April 30, 2020, 09:32 PM   #8
stagpanther

Quote:
Yeah, Uh-huh. The 6.5 Grendel is a 7.62X39 necked down. So that would be a yes, the X39 case.
No it's not. ed308 has it right.
Old April 30, 2020, 09:36 PM   #9
stagpanther

Quote:
Where did you find the Flash Hider?
I think it was a JP "howitzer" brake, I'm not even sure they are made anymore. Second correction, they are still made and JP calls them "recoil eliminators"

Last edited by stagpanther; May 1, 2020 at 03:03 AM.
Old April 30, 2020, 09:41 PM   #10
stagpanther

BTW, I shot two groups of 5 at 200 yds today with the cartridges above, Both groups were around MOA--and both groups featured 3 shots almost touching, so it was likely my (poor) technique that kept the groups from being much better.
Old April 30, 2020, 10:01 PM   #11
ed308

Quote:
The 6.5 Grendel is a 7.62X39 necked down. So that would be a yes, the X39 case.
Both 7.62x39 and Grendel are based off the .220 Russian. They share the same rim. But the x39 brass is not as straight as Grendel brass, different shoulder plus SR instead or LR primer. Yet close enough you can form Grendel brass from x39.
Old May 1, 2020, 02:58 AM   #12
stagpanther

You could--but it would involve a lot of reworking.
Old May 2, 2020, 03:15 PM   #13
Scorch

From Wikipedia
Quote:
The 6.5mm Grendel (6.5×39mm) is an intermediate cartridge designed by Arne Brennan, Bill Alexander and Janne Pohjoispää as a low-recoil, high-accuracy cartridge specifically for the AR-15 platform
So again, yes, based on the X39mm case.
Quote:
Both 7.62x39 and Grendel are based off the .220 Russian.
Oh, boy.
How can a cartridge developed after another cartridge be the parent cartridge? 7.62X39 was developed in the early 1940s, 22 Russian was developed in the 1950s, probably 10 years or so after the 7.62X39. Again, Wikipedia
Quote:
The .220 Russian (5.6×39mm) cartridge was developed in the late 1950s
Quote:
The 7.62×39mm (aka 7.62 Soviet or formerly .30 Russian Short)[5] round is a rimless bottlenecked intermediate cartridge of Soviet origin that was designed during World War II.
OK, so technically the 6.5 Grendel was based off the 220 Russian (small primer vs large primer), and the 220 Russian was developed from the 7.62X39. So the 7.62X39 is the parent cartridge. But my question was
Quote:
So the answer is: yes, X39 case. Notice I did not ask if it was developed from the 7.62X39, the 220 Russian, the 22 PPC, the 6mm PPC, 6mm Dasher, or 6.5 Grendel. I just asked if it was the X39 case length.
Quote:
Yet close enough you can form Grendel brass from x39
Finally!

Dang! Ask a simple question, then have to correct the internet trolls that are spouting misinformation. If you are going to correct a gun nut, at least try to be accurate with your misinformation.
Taylor Machine
Old May 2, 2020, 07:52 PM   #14
ed308

Since your quoting WikiPedia, maybe check what they state is the parent case for 6.5 Grendel. It's on the right side of the page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5mm_Grendel

We're discussing parent case. Not grandparent cases. I guess that makes us even for spouting misinformation and being an internet troll. To quote you, "At least try to to be accurate with your misinformation."
Old May 2, 2020, 08:07 PM   #15
Scorch

Hey, I just asked if it was a X39mm case. The answer to that is yes.

And the parent to the 220 Russian is the 7.62X39. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The .220 Russian (5.6×39mm) cartridge was developed in the late 1950s for deer hunting in Russia as well as 100 meter running deer competitions.[1] It is a 7.62×39mm cartridge necked down to hold a 5.6 mm bullet.
But that wasn't the question I asked.
Taylor Machine
Old May 2, 2020, 08:17 PM   #16
stagpanther

You win scorch--but promise me you won't start telling me all my belted magnums are 375 H&H cases.
Old May 3, 2020, 12:26 AM   #17
Scorch

I apologize stagpanther. Just set me off. Asked a simple question and got trolled.

And all those belted mags you have? No, forget it.
Taylor Machine
Old May 3, 2020, 12:37 AM   #18
ed308

Hey, I just asked if it was a X39mm case. The answer to that is yes.

Nope. Grendel wildcat. Uses Grendel brass, not X39 brass.
Old May 3, 2020, 12:57 AM   #19
stagpanther

I too apologize if I seemed to be doubting your extensive knowledge, the x39 case certainly was the starting point for the original Grendel development.

Grendels are kinda "touchy" IMO, and it didn't help there was a "bootleg industry" that grew out of (BA) keeping the design proprietary. Once people thought they had it figured out we then had the "type 1 vs type 2" bolt head wars. I kinda lost interest in the design even though it really was a good one. Harrison's 6mm predator design, like most of his, is really well thought out--except nobody makes dies for it (there was a special run but I missed out on it). I use a Redding 6.5 Grendel bushing die with several bushing sizes depending on the case. the neck down process sometimes requires turning to avoid donuts.
Old May 3, 2020, 07:46 AM   #20
ed308

Stag, when it comes to the Grendel, you've probably forgotten more about it than I know. And that applies to all these wildcats. He asked a simple question about the parent case for the 6mm Predator. I said close but it's based off the Grendel case. Yet he still referred to me as a troll. We all know the X39 is the case original case for the Grendel, .22 PPC and 6mm PPC. I just don't like being called a troll when he's the one acting like one.
Old May 3, 2020, 08:07 AM   #21
stagpanther

Quote:
Stag, when it comes to the Grendel, you've probably forgotten more about it than I know. And that applies to all these wildcats. He asked a simple question about the parent case for the 6mm Predator. I said close but it's based off the Grendel case. Yet he still referred to me as a troll. We all know the X39 is the case original case for the Grendel, .22 PPC and 6mm PPC. I just don't like being called a troll when he's the one acting like one.
Understood. Me personally it didn't matter--and I know you are very familiar with ARP's cartridges and their development. My decision process is based on--well, I could learn more in the long run than get into a pissing match over gramatic semantics.

No--I don't know more about the Grendel than either you or scorch; but I've messed around with it a lot. I might know more about what can go wrong with them.