The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 15, 2020, 04:28 AM   #26
Hal

Quote:
Wouldn't have a Korth if they gave it to me. That thing is waaaay to big
Now that brings up an interesting conundrum....
What would a person do - that will part with nothing - if given something he doesn't want?

Would he break his own vow - to never part with it - or - would he stay true to his word and keep the thing around - to taunt him all the days of his life?
Old March 15, 2020, 03:07 PM   #27
O4L

From one extreme to another...

A S&W Schofield

A Glock 18
Old March 15, 2020, 03:41 PM   #28
Bob Willman

A S&W 460 or a Ruger 480.
Old March 15, 2020, 06:19 PM   #29
dgludwig

Quote:
Wouldn't have a Korth if they gave it to me.
Guess I'll have to give it to somebody else...
Old March 15, 2020, 07:38 PM   #30
Schlitz 45

Probably will never own-Desert Eagle 50AE or a Swiss SIG P-210.
Possibly will own-S&W Model 29, P08 Luger with matching numbers/mags/holster, Browning Hi Power, 1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless, 1st Gen 1873 Colt SAA 44-40
Old March 15, 2020, 07:43 PM   #31
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Now that brings up an interesting conundrum....
What would a person do - that will part with nothing - if given something he doesn't want?

Would he break his own vow - to never part with it - or - would he stay true to his word and keep the thing around - to taunt him all the days of his life?
Hal is offline Report Post Quick reply to this message
Well, considering he was being sarcastic about the picture being posted without being resized I kind of thinking he would obey Rule #1.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 15, 2020, 08:29 PM   #32
Kreyzhorse

A pristine, blued Colt Python.

Just too damn expensive for a gun I wouldn't want to shoot and use.
Old March 15, 2020, 08:55 PM   #33
Wheelgun

It is hard to choose just one, but I'd say most likely a 6" S&W model 57. I've wanted one for years, but really don't need to adopt another caliber.
Old March 16, 2020, 05:25 AM   #34
jetinteriorguy

A pristine unfired S&W model 27 with a 4” barrel. Even though for most not necessarily priced out of reach, but for me it is.
Old March 16, 2020, 08:16 AM   #35

Heckler & Koch P7M8 or P7M13.
Old March 16, 2020, 03:55 PM   #36
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by O4L View Post
From one extreme to another...

A S&W Schofield

A Glock 18

In my part of the world it’s a cheap fun toy

Old March 16, 2020, 04:01 PM   #37
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk70ss View Post
Original Sig P210 military 9mm. Too pricey. Also the H&K P7 or P13. They have spiked up in the $3500 range

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4719 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz 45 View Post
Probably will never own-Desert Eagle 50AE or a Swiss SIG P-210.
Possibly will own-S&W Model 29, P08 Luger with matching numbers/mags/holster, Browning Hi Power, 1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless, 1st Gen 1873 Colt SAA 44-40

Thankfully for me those are still reasonably priced here in Switzerland

Old March 16, 2020, 04:28 PM   #38
Geezerbiker

I'd like to have a Desert Eagle 50AE but it's too much money and way too impractical...

Tony
Old March 16, 2020, 05:15 PM   #39
Ingramite

A fancy 1911 with a price tag of over 1k.

I have a few really nice, well made, accurate 1911 but I haven't crossed the line from production guns to something "special".

I don't know that I ever will either.
I feel truly blessed to have the ones I have and can't see trading three of them to get one really "special".

For one thing, and it's taken me a while for me to realize and admit this to myself, the pistols that I have now can and do out shoot me every time I take them to the range.
I would never realize the accuracy built into a custom fitted 1911.

They sure are pretty though!
Old March 16, 2020, 05:27 PM   #40
gwpercle

A Target grade 1911 w/ adjustable sights and target trigger built by Clark Custom Guns !
That would be my bucket gun ... If I ever win the Lottery !
Gary
Old March 16, 2020, 08:37 PM   #41
labnoti

For me it would be stuff that is very costly, but not worth the expense to me personally because I have no practical use for it.

A Bren 10 would be a great example. It's a very classic, even iconic gun, and significant in firearms/cartridge history, but the impracticality of obtaining one, magazines, and shooting it just make the proposition too difficult and costly for what practical use I'd have for it.

A high-grade Freedom Arms 83. This is surely an iconic gun, and a very high quality one that. I admire it as something at the pinnacle of its type and an outstanding basis for deeper customization, engraving, exotic grips and other artistry. For me, a factory-stock Ruger SBH will suit my practical use just fine. I don't have either, but if I ever acquire one it will almost certainly just be the Ruger.

A high-end, custom 1911. I really admire the machine work and the knowledge that goes into these. I can't really think of a pistol that is lavished with skill, precision, and fine materials more so than these. However, I loathe to own something as personal as a handgun the genesis of which was in the hands of John Browning.

The Korths. There's no question they're brilliant, over-engineered German marvels of awesomeness. I'm not certain that I'll never own one, but it seems to me they're just too much a luxury item. Besides most of them being much less costly, S&W are also more American which is a substantial aspect of revolvers. For the price, I think I would sooner acquire a Registered Magnum, but for all practical purposes, I'm content with revolvers well under $2000.

Colt Single Action Army. Similar to the FA, the Ruger is just more practical to me and much more affordable. But the SAA is easily the most iconic handgun of all. It's not impossible that I'll own one someday, but it is very nearly so for the 1st generation ones. They're just not worth to me what they'd cost me compared to a reproduction.

Museum pieces. I've been to the Royal Armoury and other museums that feature wonderful firearms from throughout history. I admire such guns, but I doubt I will own them, particularly originals. Again, I might own some reproductions.

I have not listed handguns that I dislike. Some of them might be very costly or just expensive because they're rare. I kind of like the P7. It always looked cool on paper, but when I shot one, I didn't think much of it. The handguns I listed I do like, but won't likely ever own.
Old March 17, 2020, 09:39 AM   #42
Fishbed77

An original SIG P210
HK P7M8 or P7M13
Walther GSP

None of these are super-rare, but they all exist outside of the mental block I have that keeps me from spending a certain dollar amount on a handgun purchase that will be just for fun.
Old March 17, 2020, 11:20 AM   #43
pete2

The latest one was a 629 but I ordered it last night.
Old March 17, 2020, 11:26 AM   #44
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4719 View Post
The P7M13 is the one for me. Too pricey for me though.
Old March 18, 2020, 11:07 PM   #45
balin

Korth
old snubby Python
Old March 21, 2020, 01:47 PM   #46
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
they all exist outside of the mental block I have that keeps me from spending a certain dollar amount on a handgun purchase that will be just for fun.
This got me thinking, about the money we spend, "just for fun". And how much of it is simply for transitory pleasure. DO you spend $7 for a fancy cup of coffee that you don't "need"?? Go to a show or a movie just for the enjoyment of it?

Go out to eat at a place above a fast food chain level? Buy designer things? the "latest" electronics, or other things because you want them more than any real need??

Add those things up, in your life, and see how much you actually spend, and what you get for that. And then, consider what you get, that lasts.

Fine dining is enjoyable to some people, I don't do it, I'm not going to a place that has a dress code above "No shoes No shirt No service". Why? Because its a waste of my money. Same with paying for the "abiance" of the place. I see no point to paying more just because you're selling me my food in a fancy room...etc.

Where are the great porterhouse steaks of yesteryear??? Do you get to enjoy them over and over, keep them, look at them, go out and use them when you feel like it for decades, possibly the rest of your natural life?

Now I'm not saying we all need to live on Ramen noodles and 7/11 hotdogs, all the time, only that we spend money on a lot of things that don't last, and if you took just a portion of that money and put it in the "someday" pistol fund, you might someday be able to get those pistols that seem to be "out of reach".

I like the "change" method. At then end of the day or week, toss your change in a jar. Not something most of us would notice impacting our funds, but building up over time.

I've been able to get (at least) one example of every handgun that seriously interested me. Including some rare and expensive ones. All it takes is a small amount of dedication and a large amount of patience.
Old March 21, 2020, 03:05 PM   #47
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond
Could be exclusivity, could be price or restrictions, or other reasons but which handgun would you like but would probably never own?
I didn't reply to this question when it was first posted because I really needed to think about it. There just aren't a lot of handguns I'm interested in owning anyway, and to further narrow it down to one that I would probably never own just raised the degree of difficulty by several orders of magnitude.

My final answer: a Guncrafters 50 GI 1911, in .50 GI (naturally), with the spare .45 ACP barrel and magazines.
Jeepaholic
Old March 21, 2020, 03:51 PM   #48
Scorch

Quote:
one thing you DON'T get is more TIME
Agree 100%. If you want something, go get it! This is the USA! And pretty soon you'll be pushing up daisies, so you might as well at least TRY!

For a lot of people, the "dream gun" or "dream car" or "dream anything" is just an excuse they use to justify not being willing to do what it takes to get there. I have owned many, many guns. Still do. People get all wide-eyed when I tell them how many I own. The next thing they say is something like "what are you doing with all those guns?", as if there were a law that says I can only own so many guns. When I was a teenager, a Mauser in 375 H&H was one of my dream guns, as was a Colt Python and a Browning Citori. I had all of those before I was 25. Then I wanted custom rifles. Got them. Wanted a Luger and a P35. Got them, sold them. Ruger Redhawk. Got it. All you have to do is not settle or say it's not important. I've never dated an unattractive woman, never let a job control me, never let a boss or a friend lie to me. If they did, I was gone. I've lost friends for being this way, but I've had a great life!

Forte S+W: One of those is an imaginary movie gun, and none of the others are "illegal", just strictly controlled. If you want them, go get them! Find out what it takes and do it! Quit with the excuses.

So, after all that, what's my current dream gun? I'm getting rid of guns these days, but a pre-war Model 70 in 375 H&H would be on the list. And I've got a line on one.
Old March 21, 2020, 05:04 PM   #49
Dufus

I am at the age that when I buy a firearm I sorta keep in mind who it's going to after I am gone. I don't want my family to need to have a sale or auction to get rid of them. I am lucky that ALL of my family has a strong gun interest.

So far, each one of them has been designated to a family member that actually wants them and has shown interest in them. Myself and one grand daughter are left hand shooters. Therefore, I have more right hand rifles than left. Y'all should know which ones she is gonna get.

I have only one rifle in the safe that is smaller than 30 caliber, other than a barreled action which I plan on giving to a friend.

I will have one more before the time comes that will be probably a left hand target rifle in either 6mmBR or 7mmPPC. I haven't decided yet.

So, to keep in line with the topic with this thread, I wanna get one more Colt SAA in, naturally, 45 Colt. Not a replica. I have someone in mind for it.
Old March 21, 2020, 06:03 PM   #50
TruthTellers

I have a couple in mind. There are a few handguns that I would like and will probably get, but it's going to be something 5, 10, 15 years from now when I get them, but then there are those that I'm going to think about and never get, which are the following:

1. Magnum Research BFR in .45-70

Really incredible revolver capable of shooting a huge bullet, but isn't such a high pressure round that it would be as uncomfortable as something like .460 or .500 Mag. One thing that interests me most with these .45-70 BFR's is the potential to shoot 3 round balls with excellent accuracy at distances out to 50 or 75 yards.

Would beat the snot out of any .410 handgun flinging 3 or 4 pellets of 000 buck, but the drawback is the size of the BFR.

2. T/C Contender in .357 Maximum

I've been talking about this recently, it's more likely I would get this over the BFR, but it's hard to justify spending $500 or $600 on a single shot pistol that's not going to be used outside of fun time at the range.

3. Kel Tec CP33

I intend to buy this, but not at $450. Given it's Kel Tec the chances of them making enough to satisfy demand and cause prices to drop is unlikely.

4. Ruger LCR .327

Had gone back and forth thinking about 9mm or .327 LCR, but 9mm in a 20oz revolver is no fun. I reload all .32's and a starting load of AA#9 under an 85 grain bullet is plenty enough power and light enough recoil from a snub to be effective... and cheap to shoot. Problem is that I dunno if I would want this to be my EDC gun or if I'd rather go with a 9mm single stack that's half the price of the LCR.

Really, the cost for all the steel frame LCR's (9, .327, .357) is quite steep considering you can get the .38 for $350. Half the damn gun is plastic, you can't tell me that machining the steel frame or drilling/milling for a 6th chamber adds $150 more to the price.