The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 19, 2020, 05:43 PM   #1
Mike38

Single loading a Ruger 10/22

Just for the fun of it, I'm going to try my luck at club league level 25 yard .22LR bench rest competition. All I have to shoot this is a Ruger 10/22. I own other .22LR rifles, but only the Ruger has the capability for scope mounting, and I don't want to spend a bunch of money, this is just for fun. But, being I have a severe case of the "Competitive Nature" I will want to squeeze every bit of accuracy I can out of this Ruger. As it stands now, I can shoot 5 shot groups at 25 yards that measure around 3/8" with Eley Club. If I single load each round rather then letting it feed automatically, is it possible to get better accuracy? Or would that be a waste of time? I know, try it and find out myself, but before I even do that, has anyone tried it and found it helpful, or a waste?
Old April 19, 2020, 07:21 PM   #2
sparkyv

I've never made the comparison intentionally, but it's highly unlikely to make a difference. A single shot 10/22 magazine is available, but again I doubt it will improve accuracy. A good and inexpensive way to improve accuracy is a DIY trigger job. BTW, there are many (in fact most) 22LR rifles upon which a scope can be mounted.

Last edited by sparkyv; April 19, 2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old April 19, 2020, 08:03 PM   #3
mehavey

Is your 10/22 a free barrel, or barrel-banded ?

If a free barrel. . . , the following will gain you far more than any possible single-loading advantage:
1. Cut out a 1/2-3/4" piece of thin* bicycle inner tube and place it as a shim under the barrel at the end of the forearm.

2. Make sure the receiver is centered in the stock recess -- not up against either the forward stop or the rearward stop. Centered.

3. Tighten the stock screw to no more than 15-18 inch-lbs. No more as it will otherwise warp the aluminum receiver.

Thin/High-pressure roadbike tube. Not heavy-duty mountain bike
Old April 19, 2020, 11:26 PM   #4
Mike38

I probably should have gone into more detail. I have two Ruger 10/22 rifles, one with Tech Sights, the other with a scope. The remainder of my .22 rifles are old (50-70 year old) bolt action Remingtons that do not have the receivers drilled and taped for scope bases.

The single load idea recently came to me. Out of curiosity I examined a round that was chambered from the magazine, about mid way into the 10 shots. There was a shiny spot on the bullet bearing surface, about 90 degrees around the bullet. Not enough to shave lead, but enough that it appears to change and or remove some of the bullet lube. My thinking is if I insert a round into the chamber by hand, the bearing surface of the bullet will not get altered in any way. But maybe I'm over thinking this?

This 10/22 has the barrel band. I've heard of the trick of removing the band and placing a piece of thin rubber between barrel and stock channel. This helps on some rifles, doesn't help on others. That is something I will try. Easy enough to do right there on the bench while shooting.

Thanks.
Old April 20, 2020, 07:47 AM   #5
David R

I bet your Remington will shoot smaller groups than the ruger.

You can glue a scope on any 22 rifle.

David
Old April 20, 2020, 10:52 AM   #6
Pahoo

Interesting !!!

Quote:
If I single load each round rather then letting it feed automatically, is it possible to get better accuracy? Or would that be a waste of time? I know, try it and find out myself, but before I even do that, has anyone tried it and found it helpful, or a waste?
I have not used this modification on the 10/22 but have, on other rifles and yes, there were "some" accuracy improvements. Basically, you want to change the action, from a Semi, to a single-shot bolt. Consider the following and it's your measure on time wasted. …..

1) You should have a means of locking the bolt against the end of the breech.
2) Those escaping gasses that normally blow out of the breech, are now restricted. They will seek a new path that might be objectionable.
3) If you still have access to .22 shots of longs and once you block the bolt, try that and see how it performs. Also suggest placing a towel, over the receiver and read how it prints.

Now then, as far as the barrel band on the carbines; It's mostly cosmetic so for the bench, just remove it. I do keep one on my "hunter" just in case I might need to support the barrel or action. Even at that, I make sure the barrel is floating and no touching the band. ….

Please keep us, updated !!

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old April 20, 2020, 11:30 AM   #7
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38 View Post
If I single load each round rather then letting it feed automatically, is it possible to get better accuracy? Or would that be a waste of time? I know, try it and find out myself, but before I even do that, has anyone tried it and found it helpful, or a waste?
Yes.

Any loading method that minimizes damage to the lead bullets improves accuracy.

That's why single shot 22's are more accurate than repeaters of all types.

The most accurate repeater 22's may be the clip fed ones used in biathlon competition at 50 meters when it's 20 below zero.

Last edited by Bart B.; April 20, 2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old April 20, 2020, 11:48 AM   #8
Mike38

Quote:
I bet your Remington will shoot smaller groups than the ruger.
That would probably be a safe bet. I have two Remington 514 (single shot bolt action) and a Remington 511 Scoremaster (bolt action five shot mag). The 514s have what would be called a neglected bore. Still shoot nice. The 511 has a beautiful bore and is very accurate even with iron sights and my old eyes. But, the 511 was bought new by my grandfather in 1945, my Dad put rabbits and squirrels on the table with it starting when he was around 10 years old, then it became mine when my Dad passed. I don't have the heart to have it drilled and taped for a scope, even though it's probably only worth $100, it's priceless to me.

I'll get this Ruger going and see what happens. Put a new scope on it, got some decent ammo (RWS and Eley) and try some groups feeding from the mag and single loading just to see what happens. Maybe even as soon as this afternoon.
Old April 20, 2020, 12:49 PM   #9
stinkeypete

I think the point of the single shot magazines is to allow easy loading of one bullet at a time through the ejection port.

A few years ago I did a detailed thread over on Rimfire Central. I guess if you are not one of the paying members, your threads get lost or buried, unlike this fine site!

Starting with a bone stock 10/22 I decided that my accuracy criteria was 10 shots, measured outside edge to outside edge, at 50 yards- with a photograph of the group so that the case of a few fliers could be considered. I never threw out any fliers. If I thought there was a flier, I shot another sting of 10 and even still kept both data sets and photos.

I won't bore you with the details but I will list my findings for my gun in order of improvement:

1. A scope. This really shrunk my group size the most.

2. Pillar bedding the action. I used a Raven Eye "extra length" 10/22 flange to get the receiver consistently bedded to the stock with a metal-to-metal fit. I found that different torques on the receiver mounting bolt resulted in inch or more shifts in point of aim. Without the pillar bed, the following improvements make much less difference. I post a link below to my efforts, explanations on how to pillar mount, the works.

3. Free floating the stock barrel with a rubber inner tube shim just a few inches forward of the receiver to get the barrel firmly mounted and removing material around the barrel band so it doesn't touch.

4. Random choice of barrels. I tried a few stock barrels and a (inexpensive) Green Mountain target barrel. My original stock barrel out shot them all. Some barrels really do just plain shoot better. I'm told that recutting a chamber to match dimensions will tighten up a bad or medium barrel and a true match grade barrel will shoot best. It's just a lot of money to hang on a 10/22 receiver in my opinion.

5. Expensive ammunition. Yes, it makes a difference. Yes, it costs $15 a box. Yes, you have to try a bunch of different kinds to see what your barrel likes best.

6. Trigger. The BX trigger is a nice upgrade for $50. It doesn't improve the accuracy as with careful trigger control the stock trigger isn't so bad it can't be overcome. The BX trigger just makes shooting accurately a lot easier, especially after half an hour or so of shooting.

I have a CZ bolt action sporter that (out of the box) easily out shoots my 10/22 and if we squander money on RWS Rifle Match ammo, the difference is fairly extreme. The CZ cost a little over $500 and the Ruger cost a little over $200.

My philosophy was that I did not want to drop so much money in to accurizing the Ruger that I could have simply bought another CZ which is just all around prettier with better wood, metal finish, trigger and what I think is class. If you have $500 to drop on a .22

To me, the beauty of the 10/22 is how good it is for $200 so I didn't want to ruin that by overspending.

Raven Pillar Bed Flange- $9.99

Careful use of an Electric Drill with a bladed drill bit guided with a hardware store nylon tube... some 10 minute epoxy.... sand paper, elbow grease.. bit of bike inner tube... (this is a little beyond beginner level handiwork)

While you have the receiver out, may as well drill out the back of the receiver so you can clean from the breech end... (careful work in drilling accurate hole in aluminum)

BX trigger- $50

Ammo- $15 a box. Mine liked Aguila High Velocity- better then CCI-SV or Blazer and the Aguila was cheap. Blazer and SV shot the same for me.

If you have some woodworking skills... get a metal pillar under the receiver mounting screw, then free float the barrel. Aside from the effort, basic tools and sandpaper... that's a $10 upgrade well worth it. THEN free float the barrel.

After all this was done, I had a real appreciation for the genius of the varmint AR-15... the way the barrel floats and the chamber/breech system work... no wonder they are such tack drivers!

My 10/22 can put 10 shots under a 1.125" circle at 50 yards with Aguila Standard Velocity ammo and a lucky string. The CZ I don't even know at 50 yards as it is more fun to shoot on the 100 yard line. Inside 2" at 100 yards.

If you want to see what some different ammo does,
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1154049http://

That thread is me effort and record of what each change did to my groups

My Rock River AR could put 10 shots under an inch at 100 yards with hand loads all day long.

By the time some guys get done accurizing their 10/22... they could have had a CZ, an Anshutz or even an AR.

Last edited by stinkeypete; April 20, 2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old April 20, 2020, 03:52 PM   #10
Mike38

Here's mine, ready for it's test flight tonight. Stainless Ruger 10/22. Volquartzen trigger kit. Harris Bipod. CTK Monopod. Bushnell A17 Rimfire scope 3.5-10x36. Going to try Eley Club, RWS Target Rifle and Fiocchi SV.

With the Fiocchi SV and a cheap Walmart scope I was able to get ~1/2 inch groups at 25 yards. I'm hoping for <=3/8 inch groups with better ammo and better scope. We shall see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSRuger1022.JPG (31.2 KB, 20 views)
Old April 20, 2020, 05:47 PM   #11
jmr40

I think you'd need a pretty accurate rifle, and ammo to see any difference. I like to run some of my handloads from the magazine into the chamber to double check for function. I always load up 4-5 and check them in all of my rifles in that cartridge before proceeding with the rest of the batch.

I ran into a minor issue with the last batch for my 6.5 CM. The 1st round in a fully loaded magazine was hitting the nose of the bullet on the edge of the chamber and damaging the tip. It was only an issue with one magazine, and only the top cartridge when the mag was fully loaded. Before loading any more cartridges I seated the bullets a bit deeper and the problem went away. But in the process of checking I mangled the tip of 4-5 bullets pretty badly.

I set those aside from the rest of that batch expecting them to shoot poorly. But a 5 shot group with those loads came in right at 1 MOA, exactly the same as the others. With a more accurate rifle, and better shooter it may have made a measurable difference.

Winston Churchill
Old April 20, 2020, 10:32 PM   #12
Mike38

Well I did my test flight tonight. I quickly gave up on the idea of single loading my Ruger 10/22, as it was a real pain. So I shot some groups from the magazine to see how this new scope was going to work out for me. Pleasantly surprised. Starting with a clean bore, I used Fiocchi SV to get the scope zeroed in. After about 20 rounds, I was happy. Shot a 5 round group with the Fiocchi for record. Rounded measurements to the nearest hundredth of an inch. 25 yard 5 shot group was right at 0.40. Better then the ~0.50 I was getting with the old scope. Then shot RWS Target Rifle, 10 rounds to condition the barrel, then shot 5 rounds for record. 0.35. Nice! So then switched to Eley Club. Same thing, 10 rounds to condition the barrel, then 5 rounds for record. 0.21. Real nice. Beats the heck out of the 0.38 I was hoping for. Target pic attached. Looks like 3 rounds, but it was 5. Ruger 10/22's can be accurate with the right ammo. It would be interesting to see what it would do at 50 and 100 yards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rugereleyclub.jpg (152.1 KB, 19 views)
Old April 21, 2020, 06:57 AM   #13
RaySendero

Mike38,

I won a match once single-loading my 10-22. But lost several?!
So, single-loading CAN help to improve group size.
I say CAN because single-loading (SL) created a second problem:
Moving the rifle on the rest to SL required me to reset the rifle on the rest each time.
Had to make sure the set was the same - i.e. same rifle cant and shoulder pressure against the butt.
If you don't get these right each and every time, group precision CAN suffer.
Old April 21, 2020, 08:32 AM   #14
mehavey

Quote:
my test flight tonight....
Not bad for still having the barrel band. Did it keep that dispersion angle (~1MOA) out at 50?
Old April 21, 2020, 10:53 AM   #15
Mike38

Quote:
Did it keep that dispersion angle (~1MOA) out at 50?
Shot at a 25 yard (max) indoor range. Shooting it at 50 and 100 will come later.
Old April 21, 2020, 12:45 PM   #16
David R

I shoot Sporter rifle. Single loading is required. Its a pain in the butt. Some folks took a tooth brush and put a divot in the handle like a C. Put the cartridge in the C, place it in the chamber and pull the tooth brush straight out the side.

Easier to use a bolt action.
David
Old April 21, 2020, 05:36 PM   #17
Kreyzhorse

There is zero reason that I can think of that loading a 10/22 single shot verse mag would make any difference in accuracy.

Lots of other great suggestions on how to make it more accurate however.
Old April 22, 2020, 04:01 PM   #18
Mike38

Are there any "decent" torque screwdrivers to tighten the screw that holds stock to receiver on a 10/22? Anything I'm finding is $60+. Yea, I'm cheap.....
Old April 25, 2020, 06:33 AM   #19
berettaprofessor

Quote:
Are there any "decent" torque screwdrivers to tighten the screw that holds stock to receiver on a 10/22? Anything I'm finding is $60+. Yea, I'm cheap....
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007367010?pid=718023
Old April 25, 2020, 09:13 AM   #20
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyzhorse View Post
There is zero reason that I can think of that loading a 10/22 single shot verse mag would make any difference in accuracy.

Lots of other great suggestions on how to make it more accurate however.
Read post #7.

The most accurate 22 rimfire bolt action single shot match rifles test under half MOA for 50 shots at 50 yards.

Prior to the early 1980's they tested under one third MOA and sometimes under one fourth MOA. Which is why all of the 100 yard and most of the 50 yard prone records shot before then still stand.

This is based on the largest 10-shot group fired. Smallest groups fired happen when several variables cancel each other out.

Last edited by Bart B.; April 25, 2020 at 09:42 AM.
Old April 25, 2020, 12:40 PM   #21
mehavey

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinktPete
CZ bolt action sporter that (out of the box) easily out shoots my 10/2
Could you post a couple of those CZ group pics ?
I'd like to compare with my own 452