The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 24, 2020, 08:16 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

Beretta CX4

Long time member but never posted to this section.

Need help.

Have CX4 from Beretta in 40 S&W

Magazine drops upon recoil or minor shock to stock.

Two different mags act the same way.

Pulled the rifle apart and found very minor wear on the metal catch plate that is installed in the magazine release plunger. This is a tiny plate about 1/4 inch square.

I reverse that catch plate so as to present a new surface to the magazine. It appear to engage the magazine properly.

No help.

Is there something I am missing?

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson
Old April 24, 2020, 08:36 AM   #2
cslinger

Please don’t take this question as condescending, I simply was always taught and often forget to start with the simplest answer and work my way up to the more difficult answers.

So could you possibly be bumping the mag release under recoil?
Old April 24, 2020, 08:49 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

No problem

Tried that. No joy.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson
Old April 24, 2020, 09:08 AM   #4
cslinger

What about the catch spring tension? Bad spring maybe??
Old April 24, 2020, 10:01 AM   #5
RGRacing

The problem with a weak mag release button spring is usually that the short leg of the spring is not correctly fitted. If the small hole it fits into is damaged during fitting there will need to be some repairs done or the mag will fall out under recoil.

From the Beretta Forum - Should browse there for many tips to enjoy your Cx4

Love mine 9mm/92mags
Old April 24, 2020, 12:18 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

CSlinger and RGR

I have had the rifle apart down to parade rest. The rifle is nearly new. Only about a hundred rounds through it. The holes that accept the spring appear to be okay. But as I said, I will double check.

I am not certain as to whether or not the spring was installed properly when I took it apart, but I know I put it back together right.

If the spring was originally out of place and is now correctly installed, I may have fixed the problem without knowing it.

I have not shot the rifle since reassembly. But when I rap on the bottom of the stock the magazine drops every time.

These are original magazines and they fit a little loose but feed fine. There is a good bit of fore and aft play in the magazine. Almost like it is the wrong mag.

For Cslinger, the spring tension appears to be good. Release plunger goes back in requiring a good bit of yutzing. Tongue in the right position. Ample profanity. Multiple grunts.

Old April 24, 2020, 12:26 PM   #7
cslinger

Wait a second. The CX4 could be had with a 92/96 variant sleeve for mags or take natively the PX4 magazines. Could you possibly have the wrong magazines? Whether shipped incorrectly or whatever?
Old April 24, 2020, 12:29 PM   #8
cslinger

Nevermind. I have a CX4 that takes PX4 magazines and I just tried a 92 magazine and it wouldn't lock in at all. So that's probably not it.

Chris
Old April 24, 2020, 02:23 PM   #9
navy87guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslinger View Post
Nevermind. I have a CX4 that takes PX4 magazines and I just tried a 92 magazine and it wouldn't lock in at all. So that's probably not it.

Chris
That was my first thought, too — something between the 90, PX-4, and 8000 series magazines. The barrel is stamped with the caliber, but I don’t see anything on the gun that specifies the magazine series.
Old April 25, 2020, 11:15 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

Right

The magazine catch slots on the 92 Mag are further down the magazine than in the PX4. (Or is it the other way around?)

I am about to get on the phone with the Beretta folks.

This is not my rifle. I will take it back to the owner on Monday or Tuesday to try it out. I have my doubts. It just seems wrong that the mag drops when I bang on the stock.