The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 6, 2020, 02:34 PM   #1
adn258

A Magpul Vertical Foregrip On My Ruger 556? Tensile Strength Problem?

So I bought a Ruger 556 awhile ago. I like the AR-15 for the price, and the only thing I upgraded was a Magpul MLOK handguard which I also love. I later decided I wanted to also add a vertical foregrip to it.

Now I know Magpul gas MLOK foregrips, but I already had an MLOK picatinny rail AND a Magpul picatinny rail type vertical foregrip (not the MLOK version of Magpul's foregrip).

I just installed the picatinny rail on the Magpul MLOK handguard, and then installed the vertical foregrip on the picatinny rail.

I've had no issues with this setup. That said, I'm wondering if you have a serious loss of strength on this setup when compared to just installing an MLOK foregrip to he MLOK handguard directly? Is this a moot point, and does it make any discernable difference?

I don't notice any difference, but I wanted to ask people here what their experiences are?

Last edited by adn258; May 6, 2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old May 7, 2020, 08:28 AM   #2
MagnumWill

I have both and it's moot. I typically use the picatinny mount out of convenience but both are just as solid
Old May 7, 2020, 11:13 PM   #3
adn258

Less paranoia about my equipment and more shooting is what you're saying MagnumWill! HaHaHa! Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one that attaches a rail to the M-Lok and then a foregrip to the rail.
Old May 8, 2020, 10:09 AM   #4
Sharkbite

I have a cpl AR’s with M-loc handguards. Ive mounted pic rails to them and used the rails to attach pic mount accessories that i already had laying around....no issues.
Old May 11, 2020, 04:39 AM   #5
raimius

Unless you are planning on dropping the gun on the grip, in line with the barrel...or climbing on it, you will probably be OK.