The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 28, 2017, 09:14 PM   #26
lockedcj7

You got a great deal on that one, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat. Make it pretty if you want, but I would let it wear its scars. They are marks of a life well lived.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:48 AM   #27
cloud8a

I pulled it apart the other night to give it a good cleaning. Whoever owned it before took good care of it. There was no gunk build up or collection of dirt at all. I'd say the most I could see was dust inside the tube housing that was in the forend. I scrubbed her down and hit her with some CLP. That's just for starters. The action is beautifully smooth.

Then I remembered what the pawnshop guy told me. Something I forgot about. He said all that damage to the stock was caused from putting the gun in and out of their display rack every morning and night! The gun must have gone through this awhile because they had dropped the price the day I had come in from $250 to $150. They dropped the price to $138 when I mentioned the damage. I remember thinking how stupid is that to carelessly ding the crap out of something of value over the course of maybe a few months that had survived in good condition for almost 60 years?!
Old May 1, 2017, 09:29 AM   #28
kraigwy

That's a good buy, I'd like to find a 16 ga 870, why I don't know, I have a 12 and 20 ga.

I got my 12 ga in 1976 as a replacement for my other 12 ga. I lost when I nearly dumped my boat goose hunting in Alaska.

My 870 started out as a Skeet gun, my 20 still is. I use to have a 4 gun set, 12, 20, 28 and 410. Don't shoot skeet any more but I kept the 12 & 20. I got an 18 inch barrel for my 12 and carried it in my patrol car.

Like I said, I got it in 1976 but it still works as well today as it did the day I bought it. I couldn't even guess how many thousands of rounds I put through it.

Its the most popular shotgun in the country for a reason, It works and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Last Christmas I bought my granddaughter one, paid $249 New.

Its a gun that works and just about anyone can afford.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 19, 2017, 02:05 PM   #29
ilmonster

That looks to be a very nice 870! And a steal for the price. Only thing I might do is stick on a modern recoil pad (Pachmayr, Limbsaver, etc.) and get some rounds downrange.