The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 28, 2013, 09:12 AM   #51
hooligan1

When my daughter was 12 years old, I picked her up the Rossi "Youth Combo" rifle in .243 win. and 20 guage shotgun, but my daughter is more husky than the OP mentioned his girl was..
She shoot it well to this day with factory 100 grain Grey Box ammo from winchester.
But there's a certainy about bear hunting I would say Doyles probably right by choosing 7mm 08.
Old July 28, 2013, 11:18 AM   #52
jimbob86

IME, one of the problems with many of the youth and "entry level" guns are the light weight plastic stocks ..... there being no such thing as free lunch, especially in physics: all else being equal, lighter guns kick more.

That's one of the things I really like about my kids' deer rifles: The Marlin 30A and the Ruger Frontier are both short enough to be handy even for teenage girls, yet are heavy enough to mitigate recoil somewhat.

My cousin's 15 year old daughter will be going hunting with us in November ..... he bought her a Ruger American in .270WIN .... but does not have it scoped yet. I'll be sure to let you all know how that works out.
Old July 28, 2013, 12:30 PM   #53
Colt46

Steven's 200

The beauty of the steven's/savage guns are versatility.
You can change just about any part of them yourself so it can grow with you. Damned accurate too!

For a teen I'd recommend something like the 7mm-08 as a good balance of big game performance, accuracy, and mild recoil.
Old July 28, 2013, 01:27 PM   #54
tahunua001

Quote:
When my daughter was 12 years old, I picked her up the Rossi "Youth Combo" rifle in .243 win. and 20 guage shotgun, but my daughter is more husky than the OP mentioned his girl was..
perhaps I missed something but from my understanding the OP is the youngster in question, not the parent. also no gender was listed though 5'3 and 170 pounds has me guessing that the OP is of the gender that usually has to worry about going bald and unpleasant doctors visits around the age of 40.
Old July 30, 2013, 10:15 AM   #55
Bharrigan915

As many people have asked or gotten confused, i forgot to mention that i am a guy.
Old July 30, 2013, 10:33 AM   #56
Bharrigan915

I deleted this post

Last edited by Bharrigan915; July 30, 2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old July 30, 2013, 11:19 AM   #57
Bharrigan915

I deleted this one too

Last edited by Bharrigan915; July 30, 2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old July 30, 2013, 11:40 AM   #58
cdbeagle

My ramblings are based on starting my son and daughter out on deer rifles.

At your height and weight you are almost certainly going to need a youth stock. If you get an adult stock when you need a youth stock you will regret it.

I bought a .243 and a 07mm-08 in the same rifle and both kids much preferred the .243 due to recoil.

If a 30-30 fits you well then it is a good choice.

Buy a gun(30-30 excluded) with a good trigger pull or one that is adjustable.

I like heavier guns for youth due to recoil amelioration.

Don't buy the Simmons scope. Spend more than $100.00 on a scope even if it means spending less on a rifle. Bud's has great prices and I have bought several scopes from them. But the best prices I have found day in and day out are from Camera Land there in your home state.

I haven't seen anything posted here about rings and bases. If you buy cheap ones you are asking for trouble.

I am not going to recommend a rifle brand even though I have a clear favorite. Some youth rifles come with spacers that turn the stock into an adult stock when installed. Our two youth rifles came with the spacers. My son is 16 and he now uses a 30-06 and my daughter is 23 and still uses her .243 without the spacer. She is an avid hog hunter and if a .243 will handle a big hog I would think it would handle bear. I cannot attest to that because I have never shot a bear.
Old July 30, 2013, 11:41 AM   #59
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I really think you're putting your money in the wrong place with those choices.

You're over $400 there with a scope that's really not good at all. I'm a big proponent of "cheap" scopes, I've used them most of my life but that scope is beyond cheap.

The Savage 10 option with the wood stock, which would end up at about $570 after the FFL transfer is MUCH better in both gun and scope. The $391 option, which would be an almost identical price to your combination with the Axis, is also a better gun and better scope, it's just not camo.

Even if the scopes were identical, I'd spend the extra $ for the Savage rifle over the Axis.
Old July 30, 2013, 11:50 AM   #60
cdbeagle

I agree with Brian. A rifle with Accu-Trigger would be so much better than an Axis. If you don't buy a package check out the Burris Fullfield and Vortex scopes.

And if you do not have an experienced person with you I would not buy a used rifle.
Old July 30, 2013, 12:49 PM   #61
Dirty_Harry

Dont skimp on the glass! Getting a decent $150 scope is still under your budget! I have gone through my share of cheap scopes when I was young.

I highly recommend a Nikon Prostaff. Excellent scope for the money.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 30, 2013, 12:53 PM   #62
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I highly recommend a Nikon Prostaff.
Which is the scope that comes on (at least) the high(er) end Savage packages.
Old July 30, 2013, 07:37 PM   #63
Bharrigan915

Cdbeagle what brand? That sounds like a good idea with the spacers.
Old July 30, 2013, 08:00 PM   #64
Sgt Pepper

As the very first responder to your post stated, I also highly recommend the Weatherby Vanguard II in the caliber of your choice - .223 Rem, .243 Win, or 7mm-08. It is a fantastic rifle for the money. I bought one last season for my 12 year old son, and it has worked out fantastic. In one weekend, he bagged 1 deer, 3 hogs, and 2 turkeys in South Texas! I like it so much that I have considered buying another one in a caliber that I do not own.
Old July 30, 2013, 08:11 PM   #65
Bharrigan915

Sgt Pepper how expensive are they?
Old July 30, 2013, 08:43 PM   #66
ripnbst

What is a good, cheap first hunting rifle for a 13 year old?

It's not cheap but because its something ill want him to keep forever...Winchester Model 70 in .243.

The current mfg Mod 70's are reported to be possibly the best ever.
Old July 31, 2013, 08:37 AM   #67
Rifleman1776

At first you said deer rifle. Then you added black bear to the equation.
For just deer, a .243 would be hands down choice. Perfect deer caliber. But not enough gun for black bear, IMHO.
Go with the .308. It will handle anything on the continent up to grizzly bears. Some would argue for the 30-06, my personal choice, but it does have some kick a 13 year old might not want to handle. Any of the brands mentioned are fine. But, I often reccomend the "Pawn Shop" brand. Bargains can be found in pawn shops. Shop with care and don't be afraid to negotiate.
Old July 31, 2013, 08:44 AM   #68
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

There's not a black bear in NY that you couldn't cleanly kill with a .243. Most of them are smaller than a good buck. A 300 pound boar would be high average, you'd be lucky to find a female that hit 200.
Old July 31, 2013, 09:40 AM   #69
Jim243

Quote:
So im turning 13, and i want to buy myself a good hunting rifle for deer.
Not quite that simple. Unless Federal Laws have changed overnight you will need to be 18 before you can purchase one for yourself. That said, if your parents will get one for you to use (you can not own one yourself till 18). Second you will be required to take a Hunting Education (gun safety) course within your state in-order to get a hunting license. Generally if you are under 16 years of age, you will have to have an adult hunting with you that also has a hunting license.

I am not that familiar with the regulations of NY, but in Illinois you can only use a shotgun or muzzle loader for hunting deer, what the regs are in NY you will need to re-search.

Since deer hunting is for a really short period (three or four days a year) I would suggest that you look for a target rifle that will be cheaper to shoot and you can use at a rifle range much more often. While I love the 243, it is expensive to shoot and a 22 LR or 223 would be much cheaper to use and allow you to shoot more often. (your parents will thank you for that, maybe)

If your dad is into rifles or an uncle, I am sure they will lend you a rifle to use and you could save your cash for a new Xbox or something that will be used more than a rifle. Sorry i know you don't want to hear that, but until you start working (age 16) shooting is just too expensive for one your age.

You may want to get into a Youth program with your State rifle association that would give you the opportunity to get on one of their teams, or if you live in the country a 4H club might be the way to go.

Take it to heart that hunting is not the way to learn how to shoot and take it slow and learn the basic first, there will be plenty of years for you to get your first buck.

Good luck and stay safe.
Jim

Last edited by Jim243; July 31, 2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old July 31, 2013, 10:01 AM   #70
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Jim,

Gun season in NY is almost a month long.

True, he can't buy the gun himself.

He will have to be 14 before he can partake in the Youth Hunt, which IS only 3 days. At 16, he can hunt during regular season on his own.

Rifles are legal for deer in most of NY now. I assume the OP will now the rules in his specific area.
Old July 31, 2013, 11:16 AM   #71
Jim243

Brian

Like I said, I do not know what the rules are in NY. Ours is only 3 days for season 1, 2 or 3 (3 days each). If the question was posted by a parent then the caliber would be more pertinent, but i am a strong believer that the basics need to be learned BEFORE one goes out in the woods with a high powered rifle.

Squirrel hunting with a 22 LR is a different story and I would encourage him to do that first.

Just my view on it.
Jim

Last edited by Jim243; July 31, 2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old July 31, 2013, 11:25 AM   #72
OEF-Vet

Re: What is a good, cheap first hunting rifle for a 13 year old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEF-Vet View Post
One observation is none of us asked if this was Bharrigan915's first rifle. He said it was his first deer rifle so I assumed it was not his first rifle, I could be wrong. I am also as I type assuming Bharrigan915 is a male, I could be wrong about that as well.

If I am wrong in the assumption this is not Bharrigan915's first rifle I still recommend the 308 as an all purpose rifle for a hunter on a budget, but would also recommend a used 22LR for learning to shoot. I honestly don't advocate deer hunting with any rifle for someone with no shooting experience.
Agreed jim243 I said the same thing much earlier in this thread
Old July 31, 2013, 11:30 AM   #73
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I don't disagree with any of the sentiment, in theory. In practice, it's a lot of assumptions and feels a lot like "Johnny Do-Good". I prefer to answer the question as asked and leave the other questions to the OP and his family, unless asked specifically. Mentioning a .308 when someone says they want a .243 is one thing, that's options. Giving them a book for properly raising our version of a good hunter when all they want to know is what rifle to buy, is quite another thing. It's all part of being on a public forum but I really don't think it's any of my (our) business.
Old July 31, 2013, 11:32 AM   #74
Jim243

Quote:
but I really don't think it's any of my (our) business.
Ok, point taken.

Jim
Old July 31, 2013, 10:13 PM   #75
Bharrigan915

By buy it for myself i mean pay for it. I know i cant actually purchase it, i would have my dad do that.

Tags
deer , good , hunting , rifle