The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 13, 2010, 05:04 AM   #1
stubbbone

My Tapco SKS Mod.

Replaced the stock with a tapco Intrafuse sks rifle system (pistol grip, handguard, butt stock all 922r. Tapco 20 round magazine (mag body, floor plate, and follower 922r compliance parts). Tapco gas tube and stainless steel gas piston 922r. Also Tapco Armrest Pad, Buffer Technologies Recoil Buffer and BSA red/green 4inch scope on receiver with weaver rail. A John Masen Chinese Sling with Leather Fittings and tapco surpressor. Total cost for a gun I already had, 220 dollars. After over 150 rounds of cheap wolf round no problems so far. Some machining on the gas tube and receiver had to be done (very minor). Oh yeah it was a Norinco Chinese sks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sks3.jpg (147.6 KB, 927 views)
Old February 13, 2010, 05:06 AM   #2
stubbbone

I did remove the bayonet, as I find it wasteful.
Old February 13, 2010, 09:21 AM   #3
WVleo

Tapco SKS carbine

Hi, did the same here for this already Bubbaed Sino I got in a trade. Bought a Red-Dot from Marsh over on another site mounted forward. Functions great and makes a nice Urban carbine and fun plinker.....WVleo
Old February 13, 2010, 10:14 AM   #4
goodspeed(TPF)

Looks good. Congrats.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old February 13, 2010, 10:15 AM   #5
David the Gnome

I think that picture may have inspired me to finally take my "Bag o' SKS" and turn it into a rifle. Thanks
Old February 13, 2010, 11:24 AM   #6
stubbbone

WV

Looks almost identical other than the forward scope. Tapco magazines are better then the original that came with the gun. Many do not like that they are resin and not metal, but the resins today are much lighters and stronger then the more unreliable metal ones for the sks. Did you replace the gas tube with a new one or somehow get the pin out of the old one? Mine would not come out for anything, so thats why I went with the heavier tapco gas tube and the stainless piston. did you try using a recoil buffer in the receiver? It made a great difference on how smooth the gun recoiled, no clapping and only a 5 dollar part you replace every 2000 rounds or so. A few of my friends thought it was a bushmaster, lol, I said yeah a poor boys bushmaster.
Old February 13, 2010, 01:58 PM   #7
OUTLAW00

How has the scope mount worked out for you. I was going to try one but kept hearing that they fit loose and wouldn't be much for accuracy.
Old February 13, 2010, 02:40 PM   #8
UtahHunting

I am a big fan of SKS's as well. I currently have an all original Romanian. I am curious as to how reliable the Tapco mags are. Have you had good luck with yours?
Old February 13, 2010, 04:24 PM   #9
stubbbone

both

depends on th brand of receiver you get and the gun, mine I had to file slowly until it pushed into place, its solid, I also have a pad in the receiver to take up much of the recoil, it hold it accuracy as long as you are using the same ammo. It is way off from what the front sights read. And Tapco 20 rd mags are more reliable then the original.
Old February 13, 2010, 04:29 PM   #10
stubbbone

oh yea with the scope you are not going to be doing any rapid fire using that, I got mine sighted for about 150yrds (actually bore sighted it) and it get 3-5 inch accuracy shooting slowly and aim carefully as always. Its not how many rounds you fire it where you place em, but I don't have to remind ya of that.
Old August 16, 2010, 12:07 PM   #11
rugmar

Now I have seen it all. Really now, how useful is a vacuum cleaner attached to a bayonet lug.
Old August 16, 2010, 02:32 PM   #12
stubbbone

Makes it very hard to aim for sure, but its nice when cleaning out the van. lol
Old August 16, 2010, 04:06 PM   #13
rugmar

All joking aside, I think it looks nice. Is it still working good for you? Have you considered putting it back original or are you happy with it as is?

The reason I ask, I have 2 Norinco's, almost alike. Been thinking of doing this to one of them but always hear people say they try it for awhile and then go back to original. I think I would always keep the original pieces regardless. I'm just not convinced I wouldn't end up throwing money away.

Then again, it wouldn't be a first.
Old August 17, 2010, 01:14 PM   #14
WVleo

Hi Stubbone, Yes I did originally get the pin out of the gas tube in order to change the handguard, but ended up buying a Tapco gas tube to mount the red-dot scope to for a tighter fit to the gun. Yes I did replace gas piston with a Tapco one . More USA parts the better. All 3 of My Tapco mags work reliably, the " H " buffer not so much so I don't use it, caused loading issues, gun did not like it so out it went ( granted I bought the H buffer about 8 or so years ago , design may have changed { not a Tapco part } ). Just added some velcro to 1 side of the stock to prevent the rattle. Great Urban Carbine. I also carry spare batteries in the handle for the red dot. No Bayonet tho, might add 1 if I find one later at a deal at the next Beef jerky Show . ...........WVleo
Old August 17, 2010, 04:32 PM   #15
Que

I had a Yugo in a very similar configuration. Cool gun. My Norinco and Romanian, my current SKS, are both in original configuration. That's just a preference, but I think that the TAPCO set-up is actually quite good.

The scope mount on the cover can be problematical. The Israelis with the Galil "solved" the issue with a very, very tight fit between the cover and receiver. It's so darn tight that some folks grind the cover for a looser fit negating the effectiveness of the sight. That's understandable as it is very tight.

If I had the OP's rifle I would consider putting a rail/mount on the top handguard and setting the rifle up in a scout configuration with a long eye relief scope. Considering the rifle and the caliber it might be a very good combination.

One way or the other I think that you will have a blast with your rifle. Enjoy!

Tags
7.62x39 , 922r , norinco , sks , sks-buffer , tapco