The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 18, 2010, 10:14 PM   #1
justinfranks

SKS Range, accuracy???

I have owned a couple SKS's but never got the chance to really test the accuracy and range. I do know that most people don't think of SKS's as being accurate but most people don't know that they were made with varying barrel diameters. They had barrels from .308 all the way up to .313. If you use Wolf ammo that is .308, well it ain't gonna be accurate. Anyway, my question is... have any of you guys done any long range shooting with an SKS? Out to 300 meters or so?? How do they do??
Thanks
Old February 18, 2010, 10:26 PM   #2
kraigwy

I put on high power clinics. I have a lot of people showing up with AKs and SKSs for the clinic.

From what I've seen then don't work. They are bad at 100 yards, and terrible at 300. I wouldnt even attempt 600 yards.

I dont think I ever heard of a SKS or AK cleaning a 300 yard HP target.

If you got the BC, weight, and velocity of a given bullet I'll punch it into a Ballistic Program and give you an idea of the drop and wind drift.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 18, 2010, 10:36 PM   #3
olddav

A friend and myself took a few shots at 400 yards. I was shooting a M1 Garand, and he was shooting a SKS. We both hit the target from time to time, that is to say we missed alot more than we hit, but we did hit the target at 400 yards.

The SKS was at least as accurate as either one of us. I was left with the impression that it would never win any awards for accuracy, but with some practice they (gun & shooter) could impress the locals.
Old February 18, 2010, 10:37 PM   #4
justinfranks

Are there any other weapons you might reccomend CPT? I'm gonna be upfront, I DO NOT like the AR family, problems with them all through basic and am steering clear. I would like to stay in the $1500 range. I would really like an
M1A Socom but little pricey! What are your thoughts on the tactical Mini 14 model Sir?
Old February 18, 2010, 11:07 PM   #5
kraigwy

Quote:
Are there any other weapons you might reccomend CPT? I'm gonna be upfront, I DO NOT like the AR family
It depends what you are going to shoot...........High Power, F-Class, etc etc.

Now if you just want to plink at long distance any good bolt action rifle would work,...........Well under $1500. You can get Remingtons, Savage, etc all set up. They would work quite well in F-Class matches. If you are talking about hunting, well thats just about any bolt gun out there.

If you are talking about high power (Service Rifle) you are pretty much stuck with the AR or M1A. A good M1A is gonna push you over the $1500 limit. ARs a bit under.

You can set up a Bolt gun for high power, mill in or attack a stripper clip guide, put on Iron sights, sling stop, ..........Still under $1500. A modification to accept mags on a bolt rilfe then you are pushing toward your $1500.

There are a lot of options out there.

I'm not one that believes you have to spend thousands of dollars for a rifle that shoots. Some of my best shooters I put together for less then $200.

Its just that first, you have to figure out what you want to do, what type of shooting.....then go from there.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 19, 2010, 01:40 AM   #6
noyes

Movies

sks long range

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...8&sa=N&tab=iv#
Old February 19, 2010, 08:16 AM   #7
justinfranks

Well CPT I am really just looking for a "plinker" that can reach out there somewhat. I do know that the AR will do 300+ meters, I shot 38 out of 40 with my beat up armory one, but just don't like the close tolerances. I do have a beautiful target rifle I built on a 1917 Enfield action in .308 Norma Mag. with a 1.2" barrel. Great rifle. But I am looking for something to plink with Sir, and though I do like larger calibers, I am looking for a 5.56 just for lighter weight, cheaper reloads I believe as well. I do like the looks and feel of the Benelli MR-1, SIG 556 and have always thought the Mini-14 felt good but NEVER shot any of those yet.
Old February 19, 2010, 08:41 AM   #8
MosinM38

From what I've HEARD....is that SKS's range from AK accuracy (4-5") to good (1.5" SOMETIMES, usually 2-2.5").

I personally got a Scout Scope mount, and plan on scoping mine just to see what it does.

Alot of the accuracy problems, in my opinion, stem from the terrible iron sights.

That said, mine's accurate "Enough", hitting a good 3-4' target at 250-300 yards with iron sights is pretty good (for me, I don't shoot iron sights all that great on rifles).
Old February 19, 2010, 08:46 AM   #9
copierfixer1

sks

it's been my experience with several different rifles, that they should be kept as a 100 yard gun. i've had some shoot 6"-12" groups at that range, but a couple have held at 1"-2". at 300 yards and up, they usually open up thier groups pretty far.
Old February 19, 2010, 10:39 AM   #10
justinfranks

Anyone have any experience with those Robinson Arms VEPR rifles/carbines?
The bottom line for me is that I want something that is 5.56, that is as reliable as an AK, but that will shoot out to at least 300m DECENTLY. I know, can't have your cake and eat it too but if I can get something close to that (staying away from the AR family) I will be happy. I haven't seen ANY data on the Benelli MR1. I have held one and think it feels good but don't know about accuracy?? I have emailed a few sellers of the MR1 on Gunbroker and they don't have any idea either. Again, I do like the looks and feel of the SIG 556 but have not seen any data or heard any serious feedback. (the rifles are fairly new...)
Old February 19, 2010, 11:00 AM   #11
noyes

Fn Fal
L1a1
AK74
Ak in .223
Psl 54c
Old February 19, 2010, 11:06 AM   #12
ZeSpectre

I've seen a LOT of variation in the abilities of the SKS rifle but in general, no it's just not considered to be an "accuracy" rifle.
Old February 19, 2010, 11:37 AM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The Mini is great as a coyote or jackrabbit gun to 200 yards, to my personal knowledge. Not worth a hoot for groups at the benchrest after the third or fourth shot. Fine for tin cans to a hundred yards or so. And my experience was a few thousand rounds through the four early versions I've owned. These new ones are supposed to shoot tighter groups; dunno. Haven't owned one.

Nowadays, my playtoy .223 is a Ruger 77 Mk II light sporter. It does horrible things to poor innocent prairie dogs on out to 300 yards.
Old February 19, 2010, 12:06 PM   #14
jman841

Justin, another rifle you might want to look at is the FNAR. I don't know what Kraig's opinions are on this weapon but i have heard some great things about its accuracy and reliability.
Old February 19, 2010, 11:29 PM   #15
kiwi56

SKS Accuracy

I decided to do some accuracy work on my SKS D model as I had often wondered what level of accuracy these rifles were capable of. The rifle was only capable of fairly normal SKS accuracy, 4-5 inch groups at 100yards with military surplus and 3 inch groups with handloads.
As I saw it there were several areas to work on. Firstly the receiver cover scope mounts were pretty lousy and i wanted a more solid scope mount for a longer scope which also needed a shell deflector to prevent ejected cases hitting the scope so decided to drill and tap for a choate mount. Next was a bedding job and following that a trigger job, SKS triggers normally release at somewhere between 5 and 7 pounds but mine was one of the worst releasing at well over the eight pounds max on my triggerpull scale, my guess is it was probably somewhere around ten pounds. My Gunsmith was able to get the trigger down to three and a half pounds which is probably as low as you want to take an SKS trigger. For quicker follow up shots I also decided to also fit a threaded muzzle brake but not one of the tacticool ones, the one I had fitted was more like the ones that Dave Gentry makes for sporter rifles.
On my first trip to the range sitting at the bench I was able to shoot several 2 inch groups with military surplus which was quite an improvement. On the next trip to the range I took a good selection of handloads and shot several 1.5inch groups once again at 100metres.
I have often heard guys say on other forums that their SKS shoots sub moa groups but to be honest I have never seen any sks consistantly shoot groups that small. Whle I believe moa is possible it would only be at greater expense than I am prepared to pay. The rifle is used mainly for goat shoooting and it has been very successful having taken its most distant goat at 220 yards but at that range you are seeing the limitations of the x39 cartridge with its rainbow like trajectory.
The muzzle brake worked very effectively, not so much in reducing recoil but in reducing muzzle jump, it is now possible to see the animal get hit through the 4-12 power Bushnell Dusk and Dawn scope.
Biggest disadvantage I have found with using the SKS as a hunting rifle is letting the bolt slam home to chamber the first round. I am not a fan of walking around with a loaded chamber and just depending on a safety to prevent an accidental discharge.
This was bought home to me a few years ago when a friend bought an old russian SKS and went hunting with us.
He used to always have a round in the chamber. For quite a time on the trip he was walking behind us until his rifle accidently discharged when crossing a fence line, luckily he had stood it alongside a fence post and it fell away from us but when we checked the rifle the safety was still in the safe position. After that he was made to stay in front of us and I never used a safety after that preferring an empty chamber and mag removed from rifle as my safety.

Last edited by kiwi56; February 20, 2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old February 20, 2010, 08:52 AM   #16
chow chow

My Yugo SKS shoots the tightest using the Yugo FMJ from centerfiresystems.
2 inch grp on sandbag rest slowfire . This is with open sights.

Tags
accuracy , long range , sks