The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 29, 2009, 04:51 AM   #1
CharlieGirl

Winchester Marine Stainless?

Dear all, I rely on your indulgence in this post: I joined this forum to solicit your advice about this shotgun. Knowing very little about guns, it's difficult to research online because all of information I find seems like code to me! You guys know your stuff so I figured you'd be the ones to ask.

Here's what I have:
Winchester Stainless Marine Slide-Action Shotgun (12-gauge, 18" bright finish, 2 3/4" - 3" chamber)

I've had the gun for 20 years (given to me by my ex when we divorced) and have never shot it since. My husband showed me how to use it way back when he bought it but it's only been fired a few times.

Would you be so kind as to weigh in? Should I sell it or keep it... as an investment? If I haven't used it in 20 years, I don't suppose I ever will! Does one keep a firearm as an investment??

If I decide to sell it, what's the best way to go about doing that? It appears that I would need to contact a dealer, correct? What about going to a gun show? Does one just walk in carrying a boxed shotgun and wander around looking for buyers??!

I hope you guys (and ladies) don't mind these completely imbecile questions on your forum, and thanks very much for any feedback you can give me.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlottesville VA
Old August 29, 2009, 11:54 AM   #2
10-96

Hello Ma'am.
Some firearms are kept for investiments and others are not. I guess any advice on that hinges on your idea of expected returns. I think it's safe to say that any quality firearm won't lose value over time, but they may not gain much either. And, I suspect the Winchester Marine may well fall into the later (at least in our lifetimes). If you choose to explore the options of selling- I like the consignment option.

Lets assume you have the Winchester Model 1300 Defender Stainless Coastal Marine. My last years blue book says it rates from $140 to $460 (for 100% condition). Now it's been shot so it isn't 100%, but there is a current demand for high capacity shotguns. So, I would contact a dealer and/or gunsmith who sells by consignment- MAKE him show you the blue book!- and tell him to sell it for whatever he can BUT you want the $460 (he'll want a comission). He might have it up a few months for $500 or so, and if you get tired of waiting- drop the price $20-$30 every few months until it sells. There have never been just a whole lot of that model in my neck of the woods so it may be desireable and will go quickly.

Stay away from pawn shops and outright sales to stores. At best you'll be lucky to get 70% value on trade and maybe 20% value from a pawn shop. Above all- make them show you the numbers and don't let them pull a slick one on ya because you're a female. Does that help much?

Edit: Gunshows... Yes, you can go to a gunshow and put a price tag on it let it sell itself as you walk around- or you can use it for trade. But be careful and know your numbers. I've seen way too many guys try to whittle someone's (esp a novice) price down by saying "Well this or that is wrong, old, worn, outdated or unsafe, so you should let me do you a favor and sell me your $500 __________ for $100."

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.

Last edited by 10-96; August 29, 2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old August 29, 2009, 12:49 PM   #3
CharlieGirl

Sir,

Thanks very much for your considered reply. I agree that it’s (past) time I sold the shotgun, so I appreciate your guidance as to the consignment option. I’m sure I’d be completely lost at a gun show.

Now, I’m trying to figure out where to find the model number. On the gun itself, I don’t see where “Model #...” appears anywhere. The Warranty Card reads “Winchester Model 1300 XTR® Shotgun, Model 1500 XTR® Shotgun, Defender, ™ Stainless Police,™ and Stainless Marine ™” On the gun and on the tag that was tied to it, it says "Stainless Marine Slide Action."

How do I discover the Model #? Could “Stainless Marine” be the model? The tag lists the gauge, choke, shell capacity, barrel length, etc, so I would think the model # would appear there, too.

Above the trigger, there is a (serial?) number engraved:###. Would this be a clue to a dealer? I agree that I would like to have the details pinned down before I speak to someone about placing it in their shop.

As for dealers who handle commissions, shall I just call around to ones I find online in Central Virginia and ask if they do?

Thanks again for your assistance. I really do appreciate the advice!

Charlie

Last edited by CharlieGirl; August 29, 2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old August 29, 2009, 02:56 PM   #4
10-96

Ma'am,
Well, elimination tells me it's a Model 1300 Defender, and the sub category looks like "Stainless Coastal Marine". My book fails to show anything about Police. However, if the shotgun or paperwork shows "NRA" anywhere on it then $10 to $15 to the price.

Here's a quote from 29th Edition Blu Book of Gun Values by S.P. Fjestad-

"*Model 1300 Defender Stainless Coastal Marine- 12ga only, 18 in. nickel plated stainless steel barrel and mag. tube, a Sandstrom 9A phosphate coating was released late 1989 to give long lasting corrosion protection to all receiver and internal working parts, Dura-Touch armor coating stock treatment added 2004, 6 shot mag., synthetic pistol grip (disc. 2001) or full black stock configuration, approx. 6 3/8lbs. MFG 2002-2005 ((I know, descrepancy)) 100%- $465, 98%- $380, 95%- $275, 90%- $225, 80%- $195, 70%- $165, 60%- $140. Last MSRP was $414."

You can cut, paste, and print the above info for future personal reference and then use the yellow pages or the computer to locate shops in your state and area that can off consignment sales. Don't forget to call GunSmith shops as well as sometimes they do a fairly brisk gun sales. If you can, you might edit your post and delete a portion of the serial number. I'm sure no one here would be so slight of character as to report your shotgun as stolen based on the number you listed- but one never can be too careful. Otherwise, you have about all the info you need here. Good luck and drop us a line if you need any further help. Thank yo for your time- it's been an honor to speak (so to speak) with someone so honest and well spoken. God bless you.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 29, 2009, 03:17 PM   #5
CharlieGirl

Sir,

Yikes! Who knew such nefarious tricks were possible with serial numbers?!! Edit completed.

Very well, then. Thanks to your kind self, I think I have a wealth of data to move forward. I’ll make the calls and see what happens.

Thanks once more for your assistance. I just knew I would find someone here gracious enough to help, and so I did.

Charlie
Old August 29, 2009, 03:41 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Looks I did good copy pasting that serial number earlier...
Seriously though... just deleting the last 2 or 3 digits usually suffice as the others often (not always) can be used to date or model specific a gun as some of these folks are loaded with research resources...
I sure wish I had the bucks to buy it from you! I would love just one "bright" gun...
Brent
Old August 29, 2009, 04:16 PM   #7
CharlieGirl

Funny!

Tags
marine , shotgun , stainless , winchester