The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 7, 2013, 07:50 PM   #1
milehighjc

Gun Facts vs Emotion

Thought people might enjoy this read - I heard discussion of this on the Michael Brown Show (on 630 KHOW out of Denver). The article was submitted by a listener - while I have not checked the facts (there are a lot listed), however it is an interesting read.

http://www.michaelbrowntoday.com/201...ed-to-emotion/

You may remember the name Michael Brown - he was the FEMA director during Katrina, although that has no bearing on the article, it was not written by him, only discussed on his radio show.
Old February 8, 2013, 05:17 PM   #2
thecelt

That is virtually every debate between pro gun (facts, statstics, and logic) vs anti gunners (emotion only).

in addition to that i wrote a similar letter to the nra last week to encourage them to produce commercials that show these stories of women and the elderly defending themselves. This is all the left knows (emotion).
Old February 8, 2013, 05:58 PM   #3
USAFNoDak

Another good way to stifle the anti gunners is to ask them point blank, "How am I supposed to protect my wife and children when you keep putting limits on my rights and the tools I have to protect myself. Yet you continually let hardened criminals out of prison early, if you send them there at all. Those criminals won't obey your gun control laws. Thus, you are purposely providing them with a decided advantage over me and my family. Why do you favor criminals over me and my family?"
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams.
Old February 8, 2013, 07:18 PM   #4
BarryLee

Quote:
That is virtually every debate between pro gun (facts, statstics, and logic) vs anti gunners (emotion only).
This was very obvious during the recent Senate Hearing in DC. One of the anti-gun Senators even noted this right before she tore into a long emotional diatribe. The sad thing is it can be a very effective tool and one we need to be concerned about.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 8, 2013, 08:42 PM   #5
speedrrracer

Emotion is great in the short term, but not so much the long term.

Just look at the polls -- after Newtown, the nation wanted all kinds of gun control, bans, etc. Now those same polls say no, that's not what the nation wants. What changed? Time. People's emotional state returns to normal, and they start thinking.

Once you're thinking, what prevails? That's right -- things like facts. Many of those undecideds, exposed to the gun control debate for the first time, have learned the facts. Even Salon.com is saying that the AWB was about cosmetic crap and the NRA was right about a coupla things. That's bloody historic, that is.

Once those undecideds have learned, they won't have the same panicky reaction next time. They'll ask insightful questions, and the national discussion will be the better for it. Get them to learn about "Assault weapons" this time, and maybe next time they can learn about magazine capacity.

Stay on your reps!