The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 19, 2012, 01:23 AM   #1
Chowmif16

Primers

Got a question about Magnum vs normal primers for BP cartridge (pistol and BPCR).
I've heard several opinions and don't know what to believe.
Opinion #1:
Magnum primers result in a cleaner burn. I remember reading that 10-15 years ago, magnum primers were popular in BP cartridge reloading.
Opinion #2:
Magnum primers result in slightly higher muzzle velocity, but leave harder, baked on fouling (which is clearly a problem). I seem to remember a post referencing old reloading data which implied that hotter primers left baked on fouling and were developed in response to smokeless powder.
Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Old September 19, 2012, 05:27 AM   #2
Hawg

I've used a few magnums and I didn't notice any difference between those and standard but it was just a few.
Old September 19, 2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Fingers McGee

I've used standard power caps and primers in frontstuffers, single shot pistols, revolvers and BP cartridges for over 30 years at rendezvous', CAS matches and informal shooting matches. While I don't shoot long range BPCR or silhouettematches, I've never seen the need for magnum caps/primers when using real blackpowder.

Now, using that fake stuff.....................
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce