The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2011, 11:18 AM   #26
jfrey

Lost Sheep,
One small correction. The SDB is an automatic shell plate advance machine. The 550B is a manual advance press. That's the main reason I prefer the SDB over the 550.
Old August 10, 2011, 04:54 PM   #27
Brett1961

I have ordered the Lyman reloading Manual.

I will defer purchasing a press until I have done some reading after it arrives.
Old August 10, 2011, 09:20 PM   #28
Lost Sheep

Manuals? I got your manuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett1961
Lost Sheep,

Thank you for taking the time with such a comprehensive reply. I very much appreciate it.

I have read some of the stickies to which you refer, and I will certainly read the other links.

One more question if I may; which reloading manual would you buy. There are a few in the market.
Brett1961,

Loadbooks, USA, Inc publishes a line of books for about $10 each commonly called One Book/One Caliber. It has no instructional information to speak of, but compiles load recipes from many many sources. www.loadbooks.com

ABC's of Reloading has no load data to speak of, but has a lot of general information about handloading. It is compiled by a number of editors and, while the writing styles therein change over time, any edition is worth having.

Virtually all other manuals have their early chapters devoted to "how-to" instruction and advice. Having several on hand allows you to read different authors' writing styles and areas of emphasis.

The bullet manufacturers (Speer, Sierra, etc) publish manuals with load recipes for most all their bullets and list most of the major powders in their recipes. Do not ever substitute one powder for another.

The powder manufacturers have their manuals and web sites that list all their powders and most of the major bullets commonly available. Substituting one similar profile bullet (and construction) for another is OK with caution. Mainly, make sure the volume UNDERNEATH the bullet as seated to the overall length (OAL) specification is no less than the original recipe calls for, nor the overall length longer than your action or cylinder can handle, which includes the bullet engaging the rifling.

Many of the makers of loading equipment publish manuals also, picking a selection of bullets and powders of their liking. Lyman's is one of the best. Lee's Modern Reloading is loaded with information, but authored by one man, so winds up being self-aggrandizing. The information contained therein iw worth the irritation, though, and I recommend it. Lee's recipes tend to be on the light side. Good, because he also recommends using dippers to load with if you don't have a scale. While you CAN load safely without a scale, I don't recommend it except as an expedience, and then with extreme care.

My recommendation:

ABC's of Reloading
One Book / One Caliber
Lyman's and Lee's
Others from your favorite powder or bullet makers

And then there are the more academic (but practical) books by such pioneers as P.O. Ackley and others who have expanded the frontiers of handloading and cartridge development. Even if you don't push limits or expand boundaries, knowing the thought processes of those who have helps you to understand the interior ballistics you are involved with.

Thanks for the compliment. You are welcome.It is a pleasure to address such good questions.

Lost Sheep
Old August 10, 2011, 11:23 PM   #29
maillemaker

I reload .45 ACP using a Lee Pro 1000. It is the first and only machine I have ever used.

Here are my observations:

1) The machine is quirky.

The primer feed magazine has a small bar attached to it that crosses serrations on the upright support columns as you operate the machine. This is intended to shake the primer magazine, keeping primers feeding down the chute into the primer feeder. It does not work. Every 5 cycles or so I have to thump the magazine with my fingers to shake loose primers and keep the feed ramp full of primers. If the primer feed ramp gets about half empty or worse, then the machine will start to feed primers in sideways, which you don't really feel as you are reloading. The cartridges with sideways-pressed-in primers won't eject at the end of the cycle - you have to back up the stage to get it to come out the emergency exit slot. It's a hassle. If you keep the feed tray full, though, it works good most of the time.

My case slider, the little plastic "hand" that pushes empty brass into the first stage, sometimes catches mid-stroke and then jerks free, kicking the brass and knocking it over before it can engage the shell holder. You have to stop and reach in and stand it back up again.

But the thing that really gets me wanting a better machine is the fact that the Lee Pro 1000 only has 3 stations. The first is depriming/resizing, the second is mouth belling/powder drop/priming, and the third is bullet seating/crimping.

I would prefer a 5-station die, for two reasons:

First, I would like to have a separate station for bullet seating and crimping. While the Lee seat/crimp die works, it can be a little tricky - you have to get get it tuned so that it sets the crimp you want, and then set it so that it seats the bullet to the desired depth.

Secondly, and most importantly, I would like an empty 5th station to use with the RCBS lock-out powder cop die. This tool supposedly can detect an over or under charge, and it locks up the press. This is a very important safety feature.

Steve