The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 7, 2011, 07:57 PM   #1
WANT A LCR 22LR

Fed laws concering powder / primer sales storage?

Someone I know claims:

There is a federal law that only 5 LB of powder can be kept in one location without a permit.

Purchases of 4 lb or more powder must be registered. ( the seller must take the ID of the purchaser )

The govt tracks who buys primers and how many.

Don't buy reloading supplies all in one place, spread it around , don't buy too much at a time, pay cash, burn the reciept.

And, one should pickup all of your spent brass so no one knows how much you shoot.

Yea, I know, sounds like foil hat time. About the only truth to powder limitations I know about is a 20 LB limit due to fire concerns and that is more of a National Fire Code thing more than a ATF rule far as I can tell. Is there a sub 4 lb purchase limit?
Old August 7, 2011, 08:04 PM   #2
federali

Frankly, I don't know if there's a federal law regarding gunpowder storage. However there are many local ordinances on the amount of ammunition you may have in your home. The rest of it sounds like paranoia.
Old August 7, 2011, 08:19 PM   #3
big_genius29

I pay cash for all my reloading and firearm related goodies.

Frankly those in charge right now I dont trust them for nothing and would not put anything past them.
Old August 7, 2011, 09:18 PM   #4
mehavey

Quote:
There is a federal law that only 5 LB of powder can be kept in one location without a permit. Purchases of 4 lb or more powder must be registered. ( the seller must take the ID of the purchaser.) The govt tracks who buys primers and how many.
Where on earth did [that someone you know] hear that?
Not hardly on any of the above.
Old August 7, 2011, 09:55 PM   #5
oneounceload

Tell that someone to show you the statute and then loosen his tin foil hat - it's on WAY too tight.

I only buy powder in 8# jugs and primers by the sleeve of 5000
Old August 7, 2011, 10:33 PM   #6
teeroux

Unless you run a business I wouldn't worry too much about any regulation. What are they going to do, get a warrant to search your house to make sure your powder is in regulation? I think you will be safe so long as you keep it covered in Al foil.
Old August 7, 2011, 11:16 PM   #7
CPTMurdoc30

OH NO I am in some serious trouble. I have at least 12# of powder and 15k primers OOPS. I guess no one told me or midsouth, midwayusa, Grafs & Sons, wideners, Brunos shooters supply about this new law.
Old August 7, 2011, 11:28 PM   #8
Crankylove

Quote:
I have at least 12# of powder
Only 12 lbs?

I know more than one reloader that could break the 100 lb mark for powder, and 50-75K easily on primers...........makes me feel very inadequate on my reloading supplies, as I have significantly less.

It makes me giggle when I hear people talk about things like this:
Quote:
There is a federal law that only 5 LB of powder can be kept in one location without a permit.

Purchases of 4 lb or more powder must be registered. ( the seller must take the ID of the purchaser )

The govt tracks who buys primers and how many.

Don't buy reloading supplies all in one place, spread it around , don't buy too much at a time, pay cash, burn the reciept.

And, one should pickup all of your spent brass so no one knows how much you shoot.
They are always dead serious, and really believe what they are saying, yet can never point you to anywhere you can find these rules...........always just something they have heard from a "reliable" source.
Old August 7, 2011, 11:33 PM   #9
zippy13

In my general area, registering powder sales varies from county to county. Know your candidate when voting for sheriff, he may determine registration requirements.
Old August 8, 2011, 07:24 AM   #10
Uncle Buck

There might be a concern over black powder, but I do not think it is federal law.

Your friend said it, let him prove it.
Old August 8, 2011, 07:30 AM   #11
alloy

If there was a permit required for 5 pounds, the manufacturers selling 4 pounders would be making the mint.
I don't think so.
Old August 8, 2011, 07:33 AM   #12
JACK308

you can have about 15,20 lbs before it becomes a ISSUE.
Old August 8, 2011, 08:17 AM   #13
UtopiaTexasG19

I store my powder in thousands of tiny brass cannisters with cast lead tops. Each cannister holds between 3-36 grains of powder. I wonder what the legal limit on my cannisters might be?
Old August 8, 2011, 09:04 AM   #14
Shootest

If there was a federal law limiting powder to 4 or 5 lbs, how could Midway, Graff’s and others ship up to 40 lbs or more at a time? Wouldn’t that be in violation of that law?
Old August 8, 2011, 10:22 AM   #15
serf 'rett

Urban Legends - don't you just love 'em!
Old August 8, 2011, 01:14 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

There are Federal regulations governing the quantities and methods for shipping smokeless powder and primers, but none that govern residential storage.

As other posters have said - If there are restrictions you must follow, they are handled at a State, County, and/or City/Town/Municipality level.
Old August 8, 2011, 03:59 PM   #17
WANT A LCR 22LR

That someone I know _ IS NOT_ me, really I figured most of the stuff was foil based.

Currently I'm " holding " a 1 lb container of powder for him as to not go over the limit. . . The 4 lb sales limit was told to them by a sales person at a gun store however, the sales person would sell him more undocumented powder since he is a good customer. I'm guessing this was during the ammo scare and the store placed limits per customer so everyone could have some.

This guy is otherwise intelligent, I try to keep drawing him back to the real world. In all reality, the govt does not have enough resources to watch each and every person. However if someone is conspicuous in their paranoia, that will draw attention to themselves if guns are involved or not.

There was a movie, " Tremors " with Kevin Bacon where these underground alien things attacked a desert town. Up in the hills Reba Mcentire and the dad from Family Ties ( I think ) opened up their weapons stash and took out the monster. I picture some of the foil brigade preparing for a situation like that.
Old August 8, 2011, 04:20 PM   #18
Shootest

Quote:
There was a movie, " Tremors " with Kevin Bacon where these underground alien things attacked a desert town. Up in the hills Reba Mcentire and the dad from Family Ties ( I think ) opened up their weapons stash and took out the monster. I picture some of the foil brigade preparing for a situation like that.
That movie was hilarious, I especially like the quote “I have completely run out of ammunition and that has never happened to me before”
Old August 8, 2011, 05:00 PM   #19
zippy13

There's a difference between shipping and storing powder. Shipping comes under DOT regulations and storing is controlled by local jurisdictions. Most jurisdictions adopt the NFPA standards. NFPA changed a little while ago (2010). Check with your local jurisdiction (typically the Fire Marshall).
2010 NFPA allows residential storage for personal use of:

10,000 Small arms primers; however, this is increased to 150,000 if in DOT 1.4S containers. (Typically cases of 5,000 primers are in DOT 1.4S containers -- they will have a "1.4S" label on the carton.)

20-Pounds of Black Powder may be kept if in the original containers and stored in 1-inch (nominal) thick wood boxes or cabinets.

20-Pounds of Smokeless propellants may be kept if in the original containers. This may be increased to 50-pounds it the containers are stored in 1-inch (nominal) thick wood boxes or cabinets.